Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojo2468_gw

Help - I hate my new backsplash!!!

Jojo2468
12 years ago

Hello All,

I'm remodeling my kitchen and love absolutely everything (cherry cabinets, delicatus white granite, beautiful white/gray porcelain floor) but I really do not like the backsplash. I'd like to rip it all up and start new, but the thought of all of the work and expense makes me sick. Also, I'm worried that by taking it down, my cabinets would get damaged. Has anyone one had a similar experience? I talked to a designer at the tile store and she had some really good ideas for a new backsplash (using tumbled marble and some small mosiac tiles) that I think would really look great. I just feel really sick about the whole thing and need some advice.

Thank you all.

Comments (12)

• judydel
    12 years ago

Awwwww so sorry to hear your angst! Whatever happens, you'll be okay. Do you have any photos?

• function_first
    12 years ago

Remodeling a kitchen is pretty traumatic in a lot of ways. Seems like you'll be in a better frame of mind to choose a new backsplash if you take a breather. Plus maybe when the dust settles and everything's in place it might just look o.k. after all.... you never know -- but since it's going to cost the same now or later, it seems to make sense to do it when you're rested and excited about looking at all the choices again.

Posting a picture here and getting additional eyes can be helpful and might yeild some helpful suggestions.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Yes, yes, and yes. THere have been several threads on people who were not happy and ended up tearing it out and doing it over. All were glad they did...but only after much thought. Don't have a knee jerk reaction.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Me! We had a white subway tile installed. When it was grouted, there was a grey cast to it. It looked horrible. Our tile guy came back the next day and tore it out. I lived without a backsplash for another five months.
    But, I found tile and have my happy ending.
    There was no damage to the counters. You are left with a ripped up wall.
    Post pictures if you can. The advise here is priceless.

• Jojo2468
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your comments ... it really means alot!!! I'll try to get pictures posted, but in the meantime, it's reassuring to know that others have gone through this and that my cabinets and counters won't get destroyed.

Thanks again!

• roarah
    12 years ago

Sometimes new things do not look the way I envisioned when first done and I instantly hate them . After a few days my envisioned version leaves me and I see the new product for what it really is and not what I thought it should be and I actually like it after all. Give it a little while and you might be surprised and actually find you like it more than you thought you did and if you still hate it than revisit changing it. Hope you wake up tomorrow and see it in a new light but if you do not know it can be changed!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Several people did the"I hate my bs" freakout and decided to cool off. After a while, after unpacking the kitchen, usually, they decide to keep it after all and fall in love with it again. Something must have drawn you to it in the first place....

In any case, unless it is on fire, you can give it a little time. You will either hate it more or less, but you can't know that yet...

btw - the tile designer will always have good ideas on how you can spend more money, lol....

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

Photos?

BS are difficult to get right. It is best to leave that decision until everything else is finished in the kitchen. Then sit back and look at the blank wall to see what will work...

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Looking to see how to help.
    Pictures would be great, if nothing more than to be able
    to see what your concerns are.
    Thinking of you and hoping it all works out.
    ~boxerpups

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Don't know how to help without pictures. From all that I have read here, the BS decision is the #1 decision nightmare. Feeling your pain here.

In my case the actual tile came in the wrong color and crackle finish. My contractor did install it (knowing full well he may have to tear it all out) but with a change of grout color, it looks warmer. It actually looks like I knew what the heck I was doing :) He did have to rip some tile out around the garden window, b/c he not like how that running board looked, but there was no damage to the cabs. A good contractor will have the right tools to remove you tile carefully if that's the way you want to go.

Take a deep breath, have a glass of wine, and don't rush into a hasty decision. Best of luck to you!

• enduring
    12 years ago

don't mean be rude with this hijack, but CeltinNE what does your finished backsplash look like, you have to share. If you have already posted then please direct me to the post.

Jojo, post some pics.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

enduring, I was just going to ask the same thing. (Also, I was just on your post about your grout)