Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tulip2012_gw

Help with weird space in bedroom

Tulip2012
10 years ago

I moved in with my husband after we got married. It has been three years and, because I sleep on the right side of the bed, it is the first thing I see upon waking. We are getting ready to FINALLY paint and redo his closets (hence the mess in the photos), which means I need to figure out something to do with this wasted space sitting above it. The "weird space" is the length of our room (18ft) and is about 3.5ft deep. I am hesitant to put plants or anything that needs to be cleaned regularly.

What can I do that makes the space useable but tidy? What is this space type called?

Any ideas are much appreciated! I can't even google ideas because I don't even know what to call it. :o:

Comments (23)

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I would put big wicker baskets up there using them for storage. Maybe add some large pottery vases if you need to fill in spaces in-between.

• edie_thiel
    10 years ago

I would call it "wasted space," and my mom would have said, "You know that a man must have designed that because they don't have to do the cleaning." LOL! It's kind of sad that that is lost storage space in the sense that items would be out in the open instead of concealed neatly away.

On the helpful side, I would suggest something like caminnc stated. Functional boxes or baskets with lids to minimize dust accumulation on the things you could store there.

Or, have some built-in cabinets installed for seasonal storage or for items that you don't need on a regular basis?

• Faux68
    10 years ago

OH, I like the idea of cabinets for seasonal storage.

My aunt and uncle put one in their bedroom. They travel a lot and put some big pieces in there. They also had some beautiful lamps. It was more like a glowing vases.

Whatever you put there make sure it is oversized. I think you will make a mistake if you put something smaller there.

• edie_thiel
    10 years ago

Oh, but now I look a little closer and see that there is a vent or air exchange in the wall in that space... so maybe not cabinets - unless there is a way to keep ventilation. :-(

• teacats
    10 years ago

Perhaps consider checking with local carpenters to see if they can retro-fit the space with additional storage shelves and doors (just below the vent) for out-of season clothes or seasonal decorations ... you could then fiil the area with plastic bins for storage -- and just shut the doors ....

Also if you can -- measure the space carefully and see if Ikea white shelving (with drawers and doors) could fit up there ... again -- just under the vent ....

Or simply look for large attractive wicker chests with lids -- use plastic bins inside them for clothes ....

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Can the vent be relocated? If so, I would try to completely fill the space with built-in cabinets. You can store plenty up there, things you don't need to access frequently. I think it would look much better than leaving it open.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Built in cabs would be great. If not, I would add some baskets and use them as storage. If that did not work, I would use it to display items you love to look at. Maybe large jars or blankets you love. Just an idea.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you have a cat, it would be a great place to have a ramp up to the spot for a kitty haven.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

You'd need a mighty long ladder to access anything if there are ceiling-high cabinets. Like the idea of baskets.

Other examples:

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

The vent could easily be extended forward.

I convinced a client to close theirs in and they do need a ladder, but it's for long-term bulk storage like suitcases and decorations.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Could a cabinet be built in with louvered doors, to maintain air flow? Even a curtain would do wonders. At a minimum, I would build at least one shelf - accessing stacked boxes from a ladder is just asking for trouble.

I would love that space for sleeping bags, out of season clothes, suitcases, ski bags, treasures that I want to keep but don't need to see again for many years (like our sons' wooden toys that we're saving for grandchildren).

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I'd put trunks up there, but that is my decor.

Have you thought of changing out the mirrored doors, or was that in the plan? I couldn't wake up to all those mirrors.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

When we were house-hunting, we saw a room like that. It was in a bedroom (not master). The teenage girl had large pillows and bookshelves up there. There was a wooden ladder next to the closet. I thought it was the weirdest thing I ever saw, but the Realtor said the teenager loved the space!

Jane

• equest17
    10 years ago

For simple (or temporary) closed storage, you could do dropcloth panels draped from the ceiling and puddling lightly on the top of the closet wall. That would allow air flow from your vent while providing a neutral but attractive cover for storage.

I wish I had a picture, but the hair salon I go to did something very similar and it's a great look, IMHO. The salon is in an historic building with very high ceilings. They built normal eight foot partition walls for some offices, and the rest of the space up to the ceiling is enclosed with dropcloth panels suspended from large wooden clip-style curtain rings hanging from hooks in the very high original ceiling. The panels are at least double width so they drape and puddle quite nicely without looking fussy.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I've got one of those above my coat closet. It's so frustrating! If you want vaulted ceilings, comit to them, don't build regular height spaces under a vaulted ceiling! Ours is also on a pretty steep slant, so the shape of the storage area is odd.

I'm hoping you get many more good ideas. I might have to steal one :-)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

In all honesty, I think leaving it as is would be the best option. Climbing on a ladder is not very appealing to me. (safety and hassle factor).

I do feel that painting a room a deeper color would help to visually minimize it a lot.

• aloha2009
    10 years ago

What if you were to enclose the area into another closet (as said prior the vent is an easy fix).

I'm big on keeping like items together. You could have the current season of clothing in the main area and your other up above. You would then have all your clothes in your room.

FYI as long as you're redoing the area, you may want to consider having almost everything (not socks & undergarments) hung up. It's much, much, much (did I say much?) easier to get at your clothes if they are all hung up. If you've been to a store (like Costco etc.) looking for your right size only to have to dishevel the entire table looking for one, you get my picture. It may not be quite as hard in a dresser but it's still not like the ease of being able to see all your clothes on easy access display.

• Tulip2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all! Thank you so much for the suggestions. The mirrored doors will be coming off and replaced with white wood doors.....we are changing the trim to white. We are looking into putting some kind of cabinets and will definitely check out Ikea's selection. Stay tuned....... ðÂÂÂ

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Nightowl's photo really shows how busy a room can look with too many can lights!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

... although I have to say that it wasn't the lights that I first noticed....

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

In our previous house we had the same type of space above our closets. There were florescent lighting there, so the light would bounce off of the ceiling. It was a nice and soft illumination. I know that doesn't help with the visual you experience in the morning, but just throwing another idea out there for you to consider.

• HU-492601436
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

@Tulip2012 how did you end up utilizing your wasted space above your closet? After pic to share? Thanks

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath