Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
groovia

Need interior paint color help, pretty please!

groovia
14 years ago

I'm painting my entire first floor and so far the DR is the only room I've painted(BM Louisburg Green). Possible chair rail and panel moulding going up in the next week, versus painting solid green:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a view from the front door/entry, that opens right into the LR with the red couch and the green dining:

{{!gwi}}

Sitting on the red couch, you see the front door/entry and view into the den:

{{!gwi}}

The den is rather traditional, and DH wants a dark cozy color like a library red or a hunter green:

{{!gwi}}

Our white Ikea kitchen (not our doing) connects den to green DR: {{!gwi}}

It's all one big circle, with the kitchen in the middle. DH's rule is that there is NO brown, taupe, or tan on the walls (He's European and doesn't like American neutral decor).

So I'm thinking a yellow might be best for the LR with the red couch, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. And there are so many walls and angles, that I have no idea if I would just want to stick with one color, or use different shades of the same color for depth or interest or whatever.

Please help!

Comments (4)

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

I am in the same predicament and tend to think that it looks more calming to go with variations of complimentary same colors throughout. One of the same color might appear too boring. I would suggest a warm pale green/gray with the burgundy/red couch and then maybe do varying shades of the greens and grays everywhere. I may be doing barren plain, stone harbor, dove wing, white dove in my main areas, but my dining room might be a warm pink and I may do the ceiling in the palest of my grays.

• User
    14 years ago

My DH is European as well, and loves yellow, as do I. So we agreed to put a nice yellow in the kitchen and gold in our living room and have enjoyed it, but it's only been a couple of years and I'm ready to change it. Why? because it's hard to relax in. I did cool soothing colors upstairs and find them so much easier to live in. If you already have green in the kitchen why not try something complimentary from the cooler side of the color wheel like a soft blue for your walls and bring the yellow in through accessories?

• kyjo
    14 years ago

Since you already used BM paint check out Vellum, Barley, Chestertown Buff, or Concord Ivory for your LR.

For your den Tate Olive (darker next to Louisburg Green). If you go red try Ellen Kennon's Berry Red. Amazing red!If you cant do that then BM Raspberry Truffle is a good red. If you use red in the den just be sure you carry the red to the other rooms as accents.

I would go for a lighter version of the LR yellow in the kitchen. Like one or two up on the same strip. Or get the paint mixed at 50% lighter.

Just some suggestions. I am not a paint expert. I have a few paint dramas of my own going on. LOL.

• groovia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, kyjo! I may do that red in the powder room off the den. I'm leaning more in the greens for the den, so I will definitely check out Tate Olive, along with those colors you suggested for the LR.