Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitri89

What's your favorite powder bath color?

mitri89
14 years ago

I'm in need of some inspiration for the powder bathroom for our new house. Pretty sure we're going with SW Whole Wheat or Tobacco Road for our main living areas and SW Dover White for the trim. This powder bath will open off of a main hallway and is pretty small with no window. It will have a pedestal sink and cabinet above toilet. Wondering if white beadboard 3 1/2 ft or so high with a rich color of some sort above would look good. We'll have oil rubbed bronze hardware and fixtures and probably a black framed oval mirror above the sink. The tile going in there is pretty neutral, a medium beige with cream. Here's a pic of it.. will be 13x13 laid in a brick pattern

Pic of the cabinet that will be above toilet, but ours will have beadboard trim inside arch. Not sure yet if it should be painted or stained...

I'd love some color suggestions that would flow well with the Whole Wheat or Tobacco Road. If you've got pictures to share that'd be awesome.:-) Thank!

Comments (22)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

No pictures but I love a rich color in small rooms with little to no natural light. Our powder bath is painted a royal blue that I don't have the name of it which I love. Our upstairs bathroom we went with SW River Rouge. It is a plum color with cocoa undertones. Definitely has depth.

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

I have to say I recently I painted my bathroom a color that looks very much like Lenox Tan and much to my surprise it really is a lovely color in the bathroom - it is a nice complimentary color to the white in the room and it is very soothing feeling in there now - that color actually would go pretty nice with your tile choice.

Good luck!
    Haley

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

I was thinking a rich burgundy when I saw your tiles. I was wondering about SW Wild Current or Stolen Kiss?? (both are from the little Concepts in Color deck)

If you wanted to go with a dark blue (your tiles would allow!) I'd get samples of SW Indigo Batik and Foggy Day.

If you do the painted beadboard, I'd matching that cabinet using the same paint.

Looks like it will be pretty!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

mitri89 - could you please tell me more about your tile? Is it really 13x13? I have 12x12 tile that looks very similar to what I'm seeing on my screen, and trying to track down the manufacturer of it.

The only thing I know about mine is that it says Made in Italy on the back.

• pps7
    14 years ago

I'm using Lenox Tan in mine. It would look very nice with the black and ORB. Not sure with that tile though.

• mitri89
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all. I've got a few ideas circulating in my mind. What about either a rich brownish/goldish color, maybe 2 or 3 down on the strip from whatever main color we choose? Or, the other idea is a sagey green. After looking at pictures online I think I might skip the beadboard in this bathroom though. I like it when a white pedestal sink pops against a colored wall. Funny how it took me looking at pictures online to realize that. Here are a few pics I found that I like... Do you think any of these would look fine with our tile? Thanks!

Graywings - Our tile is Interceramic Pinot Beige. It comes in 13x13, 16x16, and 20x20. I think it looks better IRL than it photographs. It's very neutral, and best of all it was inexpensive(.99/sqft w/ our builder's discount).:-) Although, if I wasn't too chicken about water leaks I'd skip the tile altogether and extend the wood into the powder bath. I see others do it, but our kids will likely be using this bath a lot when coming in from outside, so it doesn't seem practical.

• nutmegxo
    14 years ago

I just did our downstairs bathroom not too long ago. Hubby put in the beadboard (I like the way it breaks up the wall) and I painted the top wall BM's Brunswick Beige and the beadboard is painted BM's Mohair (both colors are from the same card). I like the way it came out. It is warm and reminds me of the color of gingerbread. Our tiles blended in very well with this color.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mitri89
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nutmegxo - Your bathroom is very pretty. I like those colors together, looks sharp with the dark vanity and mirror too. I'm going for a similar look in our boys' bathroom with a dark vanity and mirror, painted beadboard, beige tile on the floor and a granite or quartz vanity top that is similar in color. Only we chose a soft bluish color for the walls above the beadboard, SW Rain. Thanks for sharing your pictures.. it makes me anxious to see our bathrooms come together.:-)

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I agree, a rich color in a small room is gorgeous. A friend of mine has a small guest powder room, no window, and she used a "shiny" dark gold toile wallpaper with black and cream print. Dark floors and cabinet, and ORB faucets.

I have wallpaper in my bath with dark wainscoat, and I love it.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

I love a rich color too in a small room. We painted our powder room BM Old Canal, which is a rich and warm shade of brown. We have beadboard on the lower part of the wall in a creamy white, and it looks really great. In fact, it's one of my favorite rooms in the house. Initially, I was afraid the color would be too dark, but it's not, especially with the light beadboard. And the beadboard is a great contrast with the darker color, which I love.

• tracey_b
    14 years ago

Our last house, the powder room had wallpaper, but it looked like paint (kind of a faux, glazed look). It was a charcoal grayish color. It drew a lot of nice comments. We were there 11 years and I never got tired of it. We're building now, and my new powder room will be similar--only done in paint this time, no wallpaper. I'm thinking of a brownish gray with a golden colored ceiling. I saw a room done done like that and thought it looked great.

• boystown
    14 years ago

My DIL has tobacco road in her living room and hallway. She painted her powder room off the hallway a dark color on the tobacco road strip, Dried Tobacco and it is stunning.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info on the tile, mitri!

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

In our powder bath we painted ALL the woodwork, baseboards, crown, cabinets, trim around window ALL BLACK, and it. We have tannish gold 18x18 tile on the floors and wallpaper on the walls. We always put wallpaper in all of the baths in our houses. Paint would look good too, though.

One of our houses we even painted the outside of the powder room door black, even though the rest in the house was white, it really looked good.

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

The pictures shown are beautiful. I love BM Quiet Moments, Beach Glass, Glass Slipper & Palladium Blue in powder rooms. We have SW Softer Tan in our hallways & the powder was just painted in the Quiet Moments. Love, love, love it! So calming.

• mitri89
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh thank you all!

Gagesgranny - Do you by chance have a pic of that Dried Tobacco? Sounds pretty!

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

mitri89
    I like that cabinet on your wall, can you tell me where it is from and do you get it unfinished.

• boystown
    14 years ago

mitri: Well, guess I have forgotten how to attach a picture so hope this works. This is my DIL's powder room painted Dried Tobacco. She has added a star burst mirrow and other accessories since this photo. This picure does not do the paint color justice---Dried Tobacco is so beautiful---worth grabbing a sample.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I used BM Baby Turtle in my powder room, which is just off the foyer that's painted SW Believable Buff (one color above Whole Wheat). It looks wonderful with my oil rubbed bronze hardware, cream-colored travertine floors, and mahogany vanity. Everyone who comes over loves the wall color.

We're using SW Antique White for the trim because I want to be consistent throughout the house, but Dover White may better complement the Baby Turtle.

• mitri89
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lyban - The cabinet will be made for us by a local custom shop that's doing all our cabinetry throughout the house. In my cabinet searching I found that most custom shops can make just about anything you show them a picture of, so perhaps that would work for you too? Just a thought.:-)

Gagesgranny - Thank you for the picture. I definitely want to get a sample quart of Dried Tobacco now. It looks rich and lovely. Thanks again.:-)

Juddgirl2 - I'm going to have to check out Baby Turtle too. Do you happen to have a picture? I think a sagey green would look very nice with the ORB and our beige tiles.

• kathec
    14 years ago

I painted my powder room last March in Benjamin Moore Georgian Green. I love it. We have the same beigy-brown tone tile and there was already a pedestal sink in place. I was inspired by a bathroom I saw on Rate My Space. I've just checked, but I can't find the original inspiration. I guess it's been buried by all the recent posts.

Here's a link to my own humble bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Georian Green Powder Room