Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

Are curtains on the 'out' in kitchens?

Christy Bell
13 years ago

Most pictures I see of kitchens don't have any curtains in them. I was just planning to sew up some curtains when my husband went crazy - no, don't cover the windows! This got me looking and pictures of kitchens and eating areas. Would you cover these windows? By cover, I mean panels on either side of sliding door and valance above kitchen sink. Option 2 would be to only do stationary panels by sliding door.

See pics...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of windows & fabric

Comments (19)

• User
    13 years ago

Yeah, I would say that they are "on the out" -- at least, they are no longer automatically assumed. But, my kitchen has strong eastern exposure and if we don't have something to filter the sunlight, we'll be squinting through breakfast! If you like them or need them, there's no reason not to have them.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

LOL ChristyInCO! My DH said the same thing! Our cleanup sink is in front of a bay window and he does most of the cleanup. He wanted an "unobstructed" view of the backyard out the window. When we replaced the bay window, he even asked for windows w/o the muntins(or whatever they're called) b/w the window panes! Our kitchen window is west facing, so we get a lot of afternoon sun, but he insisted no window treatments! (He's 6'5" and even a valance or blinds or shades rolled to the top block his view.)

• clergychick
    13 years ago

On the one hand, I'd say your sink window is perfect as is. On the other hand, I think the sliding doors would look nice with panels down either side, and I love the paisley you've chosen. Just be sure the rod is long enough to get the panels pushed well out of the way for opening and closing.

In general, I think some fabric adds some much needed softness to kitchens with all those hard surfaces. Window treatments are like everything else of course, the styles come and go with the wind!

FWIW --Amy

• plllog
    13 years ago

Pretty fabric! But yes, they're "out". I don't think they were ever really "in", at least where I live. I've rarely seen curtains in a kitchen except sometimes in an eating area. Where a functional window covering is needed, most have blinds, most commonly slat blinds.

I think this dates back to the post-Lister, anti-sepsis design movement which was all about killing microbes. It's much easier to wipe down a bare window, and to wipe down blinds rather than taking down and washing curtains.

None of this matters for your kitchen. If you want the fabric for decor, you can do a high valance over the window covering mostly wall and windowframe, rather than the actual window, and if your husband isn't as tall as Buehl's, maybe that will suit him. A matching valance over the slider, with or without the panels, would look nice.

• skyedog
    13 years ago

I caught your post as I was taking a break from sewing curtains for my dining room, LOL! In our neighborhood people still do window treatments in the kitchen. In fact, if you hire it out they are booked up for several months. But not many people here keep track of "ins" and "outs" so I don't know if this is helpful to you. Personally, I think your fabric done in panels would look nice in your eating area, sort of like putting punctuation on the end of a sentence, if that makes any sense.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

I vote for no curtains in the kitchen. Somehow reminds me of 'Mama's Family' ;)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I'm all about letting the outside in.. ..even in sunny hot So. Florida, so I have to go with my no curtains bias.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

I am not a curtain kind of person - I like the frame of a window (with mullions) and the view. I even have a bathroom that looks right over the neighbor's bay window that I am resisting covering, but that won't last long :) But note - we live urban so sun streaming through the windows is not frequent and our kitchen faces north so the only function is usually privacy or design.

I like the look of fabric in the kitchen. I generally feel kitchens with window treatments that compliment the decor or add the needed detail or texture really can make a kitchen seem finished. I would opt for something hung above the window frame and only hangs in the window view a bit. I like the casual roman shades which are soft but tailored. Basically block the minimal amount of the view, but adjustable if you have light issues. Although many kitchen in GW don't have them, the magazines generally have them (maybe because interior decorators or designers but them together) and they really look polished in a good way so I don't agree they are completely out.

If the glass door is the only window in the dining room, panels on either side would be nice, especially if you like to close them at night for privacy.

• tracy25
    13 years ago

We love our windows too but really wanted the added pop in our kitchen. After waiting awhile to make the final call we finally opted to put valences over our awning window above the sink (we will mount them well above the window so we will lose the most minimal amount of visibility). We're taking the same approach with the sliding glass door in our eating area. We have the most serene backyard views but still felt we needed a little more warmth.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Marthavila- Love your ferns and lace! Very "Paris Bistro" and I think curtains are a must, too. I would love to do something like your lace, but I have kitties. They're pretty good, but lace panels fluttering in the breeze would probably be too much for them to resist :)

Christy- I would vote for a tailored valance over the kitchen window (up to the ceiling, as I think was mentioned earlier) and panels on either side of the door. With a wide enough rod, you could make panels that would actually close, which would give you more privacy and warmth in the winter. It might be nice to add some cushions on your chairs, too.

Fabric is great because it adds pattern and color to the kitchen, softens the hard edges and absorbs a lot of noise.

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I'm not an expert on what's in or out but will say that I haven't had a kitchen window covering in about 20 years. I have great windows and views and no desire to obstruct any part of that.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I agree that if you like them, put them in. I found a great vintage fabric site and was upset to realize I won't have any need in my kitchen because the screened in porch will be added behind it and that will provide shade and some privacy. Our current kitchen view is blocked by how our master bedroom juts out and is what is visible from the street (we are on a corner), but when we extend, the bedroom will only be a few feet beyond the kitchen. If I get the sense that people walking or driving by can see in, the window treatments will go on. I am on LI in NY and privacy is a concern.
    I am less excited about the panels for the slider if they are meant to be functional. We have 2 young sons and I imagine the curtains would take abuse. Our current verticals have taken a little of a beating, but at least I can wipe the dirt off (made of some sort of vinyl, put in by the p.o.s). If there will be grubby hands pulling on them to open and close them, that is looking for trouble. Maybe you can just do a matching valance over there?

• cooksnsews
    13 years ago

Fashions may come and go, but I think some sort of window treatment is necessary over most household windows. Besides privacy considerations, exposure to direct sunlight takes its toll on many of your inside possessions. Woodwork (including floors), upholstery, the gew-gaws on your shelves, the artwork on your walls - all will fade and age before their time if not protected from UV rays.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I wouldn't worry about what is "in". If you want window coverings, do it! Your fabric is beautiful. As others have already mentioned, you can always keep the valance to just skimming the top of the window. As far as the slider, it looks like you have enough room on either side so that when the drape is open, it would be able to clear the door. I will say that if you have children or animals, I'm not sure your beautiful fabric will hold up well on the slider. :( Just a day or two ago, there was a discussion on window coverings for sliders. I'll see if I can find it and give you a link.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Christy, forgive me for not answering your question directly the first time around. I think you could go either way with those windows. But, just so you know: I love your fabric and think it would compliment your kitchen and dining area nicely! If DH can live with it, go for it and fuhgeddabout what's "in" so long as it's "in" with you!

Thanks,Lavender Lass for the kind words. BTW, I have a kitty too. But those lace curtains of mine are actually rather heavy. They are definitely not light enough to flutter around when the window is open.

And. . . sorry for a momentary hijack but. . . Dianalo! It's wonderful to see you back here! I've been looking to connect with you offline but you haven't added email access to your member page. So please shoot me an email when you get the chance!

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Love those lace cafe style curtains! (although I bet you can see "in" when the lights are on and its dark outside ;)

I'm struggling with the same thing, more or less. I'll post pics tomorrow. Are roman shades in or out? I like pretty fabric, but maybe i just need to go with the grass type of roman shade so prevalent in the magazines? I need something I think on my tall windows (nothing on the double door I think though).

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Here's the link to a recent discussion on slider window treatments--hth!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sliding Door Window Treatment discussion

• francoise47
    13 years ago

I think curtains (or cafe curtains, fabric roman shades, or a valance) can look charming in many different kitchen styles. They can soften the space and they can be easily changed out every four or five years as your tastes change (especially if you like to sew). I'd just make sure to get a washable fabric that can be easily thrown in the wash a couple of times a year. A valance attached to a mounting board with velcro makes for easy washing.

For inspiration, you could take a look at some of Candice Olsen's "Divine Design" Kitchens. She often layers woven shades (for light control and privacy) with fabric valences and full curtains on french doors and sliders.

Marthaville: love your bistro breakfast nook!