Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanpn

wall oven next to fridge?

susanpn
15 years ago

Hi, I am new here but way fun reading as we embark on building a new house. I am working on the kidchen design and the kitchen guy, who I really like and also trust, really is encouraging me to put the wall oven cabinet right next to the fridge (will be in cabinet also) that will be at the end of the counter. He says looks wise it will keep all the tall things together to make a cleaner line for the other cabinets and counters. I am ok with energy wise doing this as I've looked into it and it seems to be a non-issue, but esthetically I just don't think it's all that pleasing. I am also having a hard time finding photos of such an arrangement. If anyone has this set-up in their kitchen I'd love to see a photo. I like oven walls next to the cooktop with the fridge on the other side of the cooktop (with appropriate counter space on both sides of the cooktop of course). The plan right now looks like this:

There will be an island opposite the fridge wall, the kitchen is a U-shape and the sink is on the bottom of the U; a peninsula with appliance garage, counterspace and glass door upper cabinets on the one side of the U; and the fridge/oven cab/counter/cooktop on the other side.

Any thoughts/photos anyone cares to share greatly appreciated!!

THANKS!!

Comments (15)

• Fori
    15 years ago

Can you post drawings? It can look good or it can look bad, and we need to see the whole setup to give a proper opinion.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

Susanpn, consider the type of fridge you're going to buy and make sure you'll have full door clearances. A refrigerator door is something you want to be able to open fully and most oven handles project out. I'd hate for you to swing open the fridge door and smack into the handle of your wall oven.

• susanpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both, I don't have drawings yet only a working floor plan. I am getting a French door fridge with bottom freezer and that was an issue I had thought about with the doors. I also found archived notes about this since I originally posted and am pretty sure I DON'T want the fridge next to the oven cabinet. Just seems like it would annoy me having all the doors and multiple people...ideal to find a way to get the fridge by itself for easiest access.I need to find another way to work it but the obvious thing would be moving the ovens down so there'd be about 15-18 inches of counter/cabinets between the two tall things and I worry it might look bad, which was my original reason for trying to accept the idea of having the tall things together.
    I will figure out how to post a floor plan and maybe it will bring out a better way to solve the dilemma if others can see it.......My other option is to change to a range instead of having separate ovens/cooktop but haven't been able to find what I want in that form, which is why I have them separate.

• Fori
    15 years ago

The floor plan will help! You'll be surprised how many options the people here can come up with. Do post!

• kidshear
    15 years ago

Here are some pictures from our new construction kitchen in progress; all of the cabinets are in except for the upper cabinets over what will be the wet bar area - those will go up after the counters are in as the two end pieces sit right on the counter. Don't mind the stark white dining room, that will have color soon. Yes, for those who noticed the floor is in before the painting's done. Subcontractor nightmare. Anyway...

We will have the fridge and wall ovens next to each other as you will see from the first picture. The problem that arose for us in the planning stage was that we don't have any counter space directly next to to the fridge. Each of the three kitchen design places I went to tried to talk me in to a layout where there would be counter space next to the fridge. The most popular suggestion was to put the fridge at the end of the counter run where the cook top is/will be (in the pictures, the cook top will go right under the gap in the upper cabinets). For me, though, I didn't want to feel closed in while I worked at the cook top. I decided I'd rather have to walk a couple of steps to a counter. I think once the counters are in it won't be bad at all. However, we each have different wants and different layouts work best for each of us so stick with your gut. Good luck.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• susanpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Love your color on the walls -- is it celery or more lime? I am also thinking white cabinets. OK, your wall ovens and fridge combo works really well because they are alone on their own wall space. I think that makes a huge difference, and mine would be on the end of a bank of counter/cabs. What are the dimensions of your kitchen space? I am also thinking maybe I could put the fridge with the pantry cabinets on the other side of the island but originally thought it would be too far. I really need to post my floor plan but can't find how to upload it even though I've searched the help part of this site. Perhaps because I have a Mac it's not working right. I will try my husband's PC over the weekend and see if that works for me.
    THANKS FOR THIS POST!!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Here's very pretty kitchen with wall ovens next to fridge:

{{!gwi}}

• teddas
    15 years ago

What do the KDs say about the fridge working well when the ovens are on? Seems like alot of heat to overcome. I do like the look though...

• redroze
    15 years ago

Our wall oven/microwave will be stacked on top of each other, and put right beside the fridge. I think it's a really good look as it appears at the end run of the cabinets and keeps three of the main appliances together so visually, all the stainless steel will be grouped together. Another benefit is our fridge is regular depth (not counter depth), so we recessed the fridge slightly into the wall, and pulled the cabinetry for the wall oven forward slightly so it is the same depth as the fridge cabinetry.

Here's a photo, the fridge will go to the left and wall oven/microwave to the right. Our KD suggested open shelving to the right so there is some airiness there and visual interest.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• kkupstate
    15 years ago

My fridge/wall oven section is my favorite part of the kitchen - it too is in an area on its own (but my kitchen isn't very big...) We have a warming drawer under the oven.

Here is a picture:

and the other part of kitchen with sink, etc.

• kidshear
    15 years ago

susanpn, the wall color in our kitchen is SW Wheat Grass. I would say it's more celery than lime, but in life it's not really celery color. On the small paint chip you see at the store it doesn't look quite as green as it shows when it's on the walls and there's a lot of it for light to bounce off of. I love the color. It's the only color I'm re-using from our current house. Green's my favorite color and this one is quite livable for such a large space. The adjacent family/great room is 2-stories and will also be the same color as there's no good place to break colors and I actually want that space to feel like one. The kitchen it about 20' by 21' and the great room portion is 18' by 21'. I would have made the great room a little bigger and the kitchen a little smaller, but ceiling line dictated where each of the spaces stopped/started. I think the wetbar area with will serve both the kitchen and great room with tie the two together. Here's not the greatest shot of how the rooms flow. Sorry, even though I rotated the picture in Photobucket and saved it that way, it continues to post sideways.

{{!gwi}}

I think the above two posts with the pictures of oven/fridge combos at the end of a bank of cabinets are really, really great. I love the open cabinets that redroze has - very nice. In both of these kitchen the cooktop is in a different location which would have eleviated my concern of feeling closed in at the cooktop. Again, this may not be a concern for you - you may actually like that feel better so please know that I don't think there's any right or wrong here.

I'll try to check back later to see if you were able to post your layout.

• OllieJane
    15 years ago

susanpn, I am so glad you posted this. My mind is already made up about our fridge being next to our double oven, because as "kidshear" stated, we will have a running bank of cabinets in our new kitchen and I didn't want to be closed in. I really wanted more length of counter space, instead of being so chopped up, and my DH (trim carpenter) said he sees fridges next to ovens all the time. We just have never had it that way in any of our previous homes we have built for ourselves.

Thanks to all of you posting pics-looks really great, even better than if they were separated!

• susanpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, ridiculous amount of time trying to put the photo in the message box here, so gotta use the link. Thanks so much for all of your posts!! (this is very fun, too, I must say!!)
    So, this is the floor plan as originally conceived; KD wants to change by putting cooktop in corner and moving oven cabinet (currently shown in corner) right next to fridge.
    Entrance to kitchen has fridge to right, closet for vaccuum on left with sliding door to laundry/craft room next to closet. Next to that is the pantry cabinets with a desk space between. There also will be a large island not shown but I think you can figure where it will be. As an alternative, what do you think about putting the fridge with the pantry and then having the ovens on the end but a desk space next to it and the cooktop/hood in the corner?
    Thanks for posting the photos everyone, they look very good -- all of them! I just think it's going to bother me personally to have the fridge doors and oven doors next to each other. That is just me!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kidshear
    15 years ago

Here's how you post the picture in the tread itself. When I went to your photobucket page, I looked for the html code (found it on the right side of our layout). When I found it, I simply clicked on it (which automatically copied it for me) and then I came to the message area (where I'm typing now) and clicked "control" to "v" to paste it (you can use other ways to paste the code as well). Just got a call and have to run, but I'll look more closely at the plan later.

{{!gwi}}

• susanpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANKS CHERI FOR POSTING IT ON HERE!!!
    I tried to do that but used the one that said for forums as opposed to blogs....but at any rate, in preview it just showed a blue box with a question mark and not the floor plan.
    ANYHOW, I appreciate the assist here! Looking forward to anyone else who also wants to give an opinion for my layout. THANKS!