Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

talk to me about honed uba tuba vs soapstone

scrappy25
9 years ago

First- my head hurts from visiting 4 granite places today!

I went looking for soapstonebut not one of the granite yards could tell me what type it was other than "honed" or "leathered", and samples were not to be had.

At the last site, I was surprised to find a leathered uba tuba that seems to work well with my desired thassos ming green sunflower backsplash. The finish is silky like soapstone and NOT polished. The sunflower tile is between the White Dove cabinet color and the Wickham Grey planned wall color. My cabinets are inset white shaker and my floor will be a medium to gunstock oak color tile to match current flooring.

Here is a picture in bright sunlight that shows the texturing. I have to say that I was surprised when I saw this picture, it looks rough in this picture feels really smooth and does not catch any fingernails. At this exposure my tile is totally white so the granite will never look like this to the eye.

This edge view is more how I remember the texture

For comparison here are some soapstones. Again, they don't know what types they are so I am a bit worried.

Wild leathered soapstone (I've never seen one before)
You can see the texture in this slab. It still feels very silky.
{{gwi:1957132}}

Same soapstone in honed finish- these are not wet or oiled, I am assuming they would darken with wetting or oiling.
{{gwi:1957133}}

Another soapsone at a different yard

Also, the honed uba tuba is $3700 for my kitchen and the soapstone quotes are running $4700.

1) I am leery of buying soapstone that does not have a real name and that I cannot test. I did get a quote for green mountain soapstone PA which is a harder soapstone from a place 2 hours away but I have not been there to see it. That place has great reviews and does only soapstone. Would you be happy with the Uba Tuba and the $1000 price difference (my reno will be about 50k when done) or would you make the trip 2 hours away to see the green mountain soapstone? (also $4800 quote).

The rest of the questions are on the leathered uba tuba.

1) Does the leathered uba tuba need sealing?If so, what type?
2) Is uba tuba as bulletproof as I think it is? Should I ask the stone yard if I can run any tests like water or mineral oil penetration if they allow me? (again, no samples)
3) Will it hold a standard eased edge well or should I upgrade to a half bullnose for the countertop rim? I have a Stages 45 sink already purchased so I am presuming that I have to have the standard eased edge around the sink for the inset cutting board.
3) what kind of finish should I ask for the edge of the leathered granite? Honed if standard eased edge? How could they do a bullnose?

thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've never heard of soapstone being leathered or honed?
    Be sure it is actually soapstone. I see they have it labeled as "Soap Stone" ...wondering if that is a ploy to get you to think it is real soapstone?

• romy718
    9 years ago

I'd make the two hour trip. One of the slabs today may end up being the "one" but go someplace else to see other SS options. Besides having the opportunity to see more slabs, they may have slabs similar to what you saw today & be more knowledgable about them. You could also, hopefully, get a sample.
    The close up of the UbaTuba does look very textured & I wonder about the combination of that texture with the Ming Green tile, which I love.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

I'm not sure I'll ever do a major kitchen reno again - but I will have my own soapstone somehow, some day, somewhere (insert West Side Story music here). I would not let $1000 (2% of your budget) or 2 hours (an even smaller percentage of kitchen planning time) stand in my way.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK thanks, you have convinced me to make time to go see the soapstone, it is 2 hrs each way so half a day . Not easy for someone working FT with weekend obligations. The money is not as much an issue as the availablity and the time here. I was really hoping to find the soapstone locally since today was my only "search granite yards" vacation day.

Can someone answer the questions about the uba tuba?
    It's really very smooth and the 2nd picture was very surprising to me since I cannot feel or even see those irregularities well in real life.

• SharonNM
    9 years ago

The one test you can do in the yard with soapstone is to run your fingernail across the back to see if it will scratch it- that will let you know the hardness. Also ask if they will let you scratch a corner with a penny. If you are wanting to oil the very hard soapstones may not be the best choice- I wanted green and hard and ended up with Julia from M.Tex which a penny could not scratch. I do not oil.

Here is a link that might be useful: MOHs hardness test

• bcafe
    9 years ago

I have seen and felt both leathered and honed soapstone at the Dorado showroom/warehouse in Denver. It does exist, but it just wasn't for us.

• mdefree
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

i have uba tuba granite that is polished not honed and it is basically bullet proof granite. Uba Tuba is more porous than black galaxy granite, but it doesn't really matter because it is so dark. It is impossible to stain it. I didn't seal my uba tuba for 15 years and it still looks brand new. This year I finally did seal it. I highly recommend to get a beveled edge, bullnose, or anything but don't get the standard edge it is more prone to chipping.