Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiegirl2010

I lurked, and then I lurked some more... Now see my pics!

prairiegirl2010
13 years ago

I'm a stalker actually, and now I'm done....really done! Demo started the last week of July and the last touch ups just finished. Aside from decorating a little more, this is it!!!

This is the old kitchen..... It was only 6 years old, but cheaply done and was so cramped!

This was our old dining room, we never used it. It was a play room!

This was our old "eat in" kitchen area that leads to the patio.

And this was our old TV area. The wall is new, this was my only DIY portion...It's marble! I absolutely love it!

And now, here it is!

I'm not photographer, but this is it!! Thanks for all your stolen help along the way!!

Comments (73)

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

2 words-SIMPLY ELEGANT!!!!!!

• MariposaTraicionera
    13 years ago

This is a fabulous kitchen! I am shocked at your before and after. Your backsplash is gorgeous, your flooring is gorgeous, your cabinets and everything is..well...GORGEOUS? LOL

Great job, and a lurker/stalker? I am so impressed. Is your flooring pre-finished or finished on the job?

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Thanks for the new pic--yep that's what I meant. Sorry I asked so many questions you had posted answers for. They weren't there when I started writing but had a long phone call in the middle of posting :)

FKB is the Finished Kitchen Blog. Starpooh manages it I believe. I think there's a form you need to fill out, but then future GWers can go there and study your space to help them with theirs.

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Wow, wow, wow. So elegant. Would never have suspected it was the same house! Your wall is fantastic. :-D

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Wow! Amazing transformation! I LOVE your T.V. wall and the kitchen is so sleek, love the mix of the dark brown cabs and white and gray backsplash. Very tastefully done! Congrats!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

A tour de force.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

Fantastic! Good job lurking lol!

• clg7067
    13 years ago

WOW! WOW!!! Love it!

Can I pester you more on that marble wall? I'm trying to google it, do you have a link you can share?

• User
    13 years ago

Really sleek and elegant. I love those dark cabs with the light contrast of the backsplash. You did a stupendous job on that wall. WOW...c

• transitional
    13 years ago

Beautiful! And I love your backsplash, everything, simply elegant and gorgeous!

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago

Splendid, all of it!

• prairiegirl2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CLG: I thought I posted a response to you, but it's not here so here goes again. The marble on the wall is from Julian Tile, they are juliantile.ca. I recall there being 3 different colorings of this tile and the product code on my receipt is ANS237. It's listed as cubic strips Picasso marble. Hope this helps!!

• clg7067
    13 years ago

Thanks!

• doraville
    13 years ago

Wow, Wow, Wow. I love it. Great job!

• pamelah
    13 years ago

Very nice. Tasteful, Sleek, Functional. Love it!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

WOW what an amazing transformation!! I love your cabinets and your great pendants. You did a great job picking everything out - so elegant. It's a totally different house now. Enjoy!

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

LOVE your new kitchen! Checking out the barstools for my own renovation now in progess.

• smecker
    13 years ago

When I saw the name prairiegirl, I immediately looked to see if you said where you were from. I'm from Winnipeg too (live just past Brandon now) and renovating my kitchen also.
    Love the tile wall. I was trying to explain to my husband what I wanted, now I have the perfect pic to show him! Where did you purchase your backsplash tile? Was it in Winnipeg?
    Wonderful kitchen!

• smecker
    13 years ago

Me again! Where in Wpg did you get your tap and countertops?

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Understateted elegance with a wave of sophisticated beauty.
    Love your new space.
    ~boxerpups

• prairiegirl2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi fellow Manitoban, The backsplash is from Julian Tile, tap from Robinson on Ellice and the counters are from River City Stone on Keewatin!!

Such fun picking it all, and no regrets....

I can't say how great it is to get good reviews from all of you whose kitchens and expertise I love so much!! Thank you!!!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I love it ALL!!! If I had dark cabinets, those are exactly the colors I would go with. Your backsplash is awesome and the stools and SS appliances look fabulous. Magazine worthy in my opinion. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• timberframe4us
    13 years ago

Bee U tee full! As vampire says, "magazine worthy."

How far (on the bar stool side) does the counter overhang? I really like your really simple corbels there. We still haven't completely finalized the design of that side of our island.

• txpepper
    13 years ago

PairieGirl....

Nicely done!

Would love to see some pics of the insides of the cabs and drawers to see what you did with interior space usage.

Enjoy in good health!

Pepper

• dianalo
    13 years ago

This is a classic and lovely kitchen. I bet it stands up well for decades and looks good while doing it!
    It seems so elegant and grown up yet not fussy or overdone.

The balance of light and dark and different materials is dead on. I wish you many happy meals in it and many happy memories :)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Your space is truly gorgeous. I love white cabs myself, but if I was vetoed by DH on this choice, I would go with something EXACTLY like yours. The whole room is chic, elegant, classic...I could go on and on. I just can't believe how great it looks! GREAT JOB!! Adn thanks for sharing all the details. I only hope mine ends up looking so beautiful and well put together.

• ebean
    13 years ago

what a transformation! you're going to laugh...where did you find the cute rug on the floor????
    really wonderful!

• cinnamonsworld
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, streamlined, simple even - and all of it just beautiful!!!

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

I really love your wall! And you did that all by yourself? Very nice! It is fabulous and really makes a statement.

• prairiegirl2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mariposa: the flooring is prefinished. It's the most dense flooring you can buy. Which we needed with 2 kids under 4 plus two dogs (a lab and a mastiff!)
    Timber: the overhang is 14"
    Monkey: I have to give my dad credit for teaching me how to use the tile saw. This was my first crack at tile, but I'd built a deck and a fence on my own when I was single so I kinda thought I could pull it off. Mixing the mastik was great fun (not), but all in all it was worthwhile and I love the finished product. Note to others: wear gloves or do not expect to have skin or nails afterwards with all the grit!!

• sochi
    13 years ago

Beautiful job prairiegirl, what a wonderful kitchen!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First thought I had when I saw it was, "I could be very happy in that kitchen."

Just gorgeous!

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Love the dark cabinets against the white counters, your backsplash and the dining light fixture. Mostly I love the way you opened up and made better use of the space. Enjoy it!

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is so beautiful. Clean, contemporary and just amazing! Congratulations.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Amazing! I love it! Awesome transformation, love the before and afters!!! I love your white counters and backsplash against the dark cabs! So pretty, have fun in there!!

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you did - some wider angle shots would be great.

Did you expand the kitchen to completely take over the DR and the "eat-in areas?

I think I see a bank of uppers next to the bay window, used as both base and upper.

And how much plumbing and wiring had to be moved?

• theanimala
    13 years ago

Another vote for LOVE IT! As a fellow horizontal cabinet pull person, I love the look, plus just how BOLD those pulls are. Great job!

• prairiegirl2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lazygardens, basically I did just that. Decided a formal dining room and an eat in kitchen were a waste of space for us, we are just not formal people in that way. So the dining table took over that space and now the old eat in area is pantry, desk, etc and we're able to push our living area more into that space. It's not a huge house, but it's a great size for us and we have another level to watch movies, play etc. The lowers in the dining space are a little deeper, can't recall the actual measurements right now, and the counter above that acts as a bar/buffet. And as for moving wiring and plumbing.........we moved everything, mostly just a few feet each, but absolutely everything moved, lights/stove/fridge/faucet. That was a big part of our cost.

• janwad
    13 years ago

Yours is better than mine :-)
    I want it.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Wowzers! That is really beautiful! How is that even the same space?

And that marble wall? 'Scuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

• taggie
    13 years ago

Wow, I'm so impressed with your BEAUTIFUL kitchen. And even more so with the vision you had in bringing the dining/kitchen/eating and family room spaces together so cohesively with that stunning long run of cabinets, with each section purpose-fit to the function of the space in your home. What a magnificent transformation!

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

I see it now. I was dazzled by all that gleaming cabinetry :)

Marvelous re-do on the space!

• prairiegirl2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooops, I forgot to answer one question....

EBEAN!! The little rug is from Costco..... Super reasonable and has the "right" backing for wood floors!!

• psfw
    13 years ago

What a great kitchen! I am in the planning stages now. What size is your island and the measurement of the space between your back wall and island (walkway)? Overall kitchen dimensions?
    I am having a hard time visualizing my space and this really helps. Is that an induction cooktop I see? What about your ventilation? You have done a fabulous job! Now, the rest of us "lurkers" will be using your kit. for an example. Thanks for sharing. :)

• brenjun
    13 years ago

I am in the planning stages too. Seeing your new kitchen makes me want to continue with all the work! Love it.

• prairiegirl2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

psfw: the island is 9 x 4 and I have 41" in the walkway ( a little less where the fridge comes out)...that is an induction cooktop. I love it, it was a bit of a splurge, but I really like the safety aspect for the kids. The cupboard directly above is actually the vent hood and ducting to outside. I really don't love vent hoods and think that they sometimes overpower a kitchen. But that's just me. Ours is an Ancona from Costco!

Thanks for looking!!!

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Fantastic! If I don't go with white cabs that is exactly the color scheme and look I want. Come to CA and do mine! Absolutely beautiful. I love everything and your pendants are so different. Unless I missed it up thread, can you please provide a style # or name and the source for those and your drum lighting fixture? I'd love to see how those pendants look turned on. So cool.

Also regarding your layout, can you provide more info? Sounds like you knocked out some walls to make one room, but I'm having difficulty visualizing what was where. Can you elaborate and were the walls removed load bearing?

I ask because we have a similar situation. Kitchen with a nook to one side that's all windows and both seperated from the family room by a half wall at the sink and "behind" the kitchen a seperate small dining room we never use. I'd love a more open floorplan and great room effect like yours, but we have lots of structural issues and still trying to decide if it's doable. So I'm just trying to visualize your before and after layout. That info would be helpful if you're willing to share. Thanks!
    Again, outstanding kitchen!!

• jcc813
    13 years ago

Congrats on your new, beautiful kitchen!

I was wondering how you're liking the Grohe Concetto faucet? We've been trying to find a replacement for ours and we like the look of the Grohe. However, I read someone else complaining about how it splashes way too much. Have you had any similar (or other) issues?

• sfmomoxo
    13 years ago

WOWIE!!!! Totally gorgeous and fabulous. It has a really clean and elegant look!! Congrats on one amazingly fabulous kitchen. I'm wondering what WALL COLOR you used? I love how it complements the colors of the cabinets.
    Thanks!

• prairiegirl2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been gone awhile but noticed some questions so I thought I'd pop back!!
    jcc: the faucet is wonderful albeit a little strong. I have to be a little careful when it's on the regular setting if I am rinsing something, but just into the sink it's fine and if you turn on the shower option it's also fine.
    sfmomoxo: The wall color is ranchwood, BM. Love it...
    island: the wall we took out was not load bearing so it was fairly easy. The 3/4 wall was virtually what separates the island from the dining table now. It turns out to be a great race track for my two year old!!!