Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Modern California Bungalow Kitchen: Finally finished!

artemis78
12 years ago
last modified: last year

Okay, I might be using "finished" a little liberally—we're still not FKB ready and have a bunch of loose ends to finish up–but for all practical purposes, the remodel of the kitchen in our 1915 Arts and Crafts bungalow in Oakland, California is finally finished! Photos and details below. This was a partial DIY remodel, but we also relied on lots of wonderful tradespeople over the course of the project. I'm including the names of SF Bay Area contractors and vendors we especially enjoyed working with, since I found this information super useful when others posted it. If anyone is local and wants more info, just shoot me an email.

Cabinets: Custom, mix of flush inset and frameless (Martin Bernardo of California Kitchens & Furniture in Redwood City)
Colors: Benjamin Moore Aura in Acadia White (trim and inset cabinets), Sea Haze (frameless cabinets), and Wales Green (walls)—cabinets/trim are satin finish and walls are eggshell
Hardware (frameless): Rejuvenation Mission D pulls in polished nickel
Hardware (inset): 2" ball-tip hinges in polished nickel from Horton Brasses, small latches and Mission D pulls in polished nickel from Rejuvenation Hardware, and large bin pulls in polished nickel from Belmont Hardware in Berkeley.
Lights: Schoolhouse Electric Newbury (ceiling) and Union (over table) in antique black and Rejuvenation Skidmore (over sink) in polished nickel, all with shades from Schoolhouse
Counters: Barroca soapstone (M. Teixeira in SF) and beech butcher block (IKEA Numerar finished with low-VOC Waterlox)
Backsplash: Lanka Aquarello subway tile in frost with black 1/4" pencil liner (Tileshop in Berkeley and Art Tile in Oakland)
Shelves: IKEA Ekby brackets with douglas fir steps trimmed to fit (very creative thinking by Piedmont Lumber in Oakland!)
Flooring: Marmoleum Click tile in Eternity, Silver Shadow, and Volcanic Ash (Anderson Carpet & Linoleum in Oakland)
Range: O'Keefe and Merritt High-Vue 535 (existing)
Dishwasher: Miele Inspira G2142SCWH (Universal AKB in LA)
Hood: 36" Kobe RA094 (also Universal)
Sink: Kohler Cape Dory in white (plumbed by Ed at Bonafide Plumbing in Alameda—highly recommend!)
Faucet: Chicago Faucets 540 (FaucetDirect.com in Chico)
Refrigerator: Kenmore/Whirlpool model circa 1996 (existing, of course!)—will eventually be replaced with 36" counter-depth model

Island is temporary from the old kitchen, but is IKEA's Bekvam kitchen cart (love this; wish they made a bigger table version!) We will be replacing it with a 2' x 4' (or thereabouts) work table, hopefully with the same basic design. Table/shelves/shoe rack are also temporary while we figure out what to do there; no clue where they're from.

We were working with a huge-to-us-but-not-to-contractors budget of $30K that had to cover some significant structural work (most systems had not been touched since 1940 or before), so we had to make some tradeoffs along the way to keep costs in check. We managed to come in just under budget–woohoo!

While this remodel only took about three weeks of actual contractor work days (with some trades overlapping), it dragged out over several months, largely because by the end, we got DIY renovation fatigue and slowed to a snail's pace. The biggest delay was that we seriously underestimated how long the DIY tasks (painting, flooring, range hood + venting, sink install, tiling, a few others) would take us, since we were primarily just working weekends and learning on the fly. (This is also why we still have no floor thresholds and you shouldn't look too closely at the paint, which still needs touch ups in many spots...)

Our goals:

• Add more contiguous and useful counter space
  • Add a dishwasher and ventilation for the stove
  • Reconnect kitchen with rest of house as far as light/flow—1939 remodel had cut off visual/physical connection between backyard and living areas
  • Create better flow in the kitchen and connect the breakfast room to the main kitchen, but preserve its separate function
  • Create a designated space for shoes, coats, and muddy dogs
  • Return the kitchen to an aesthetic more appropriate to the age of the house (a traditional and relatively well-preserved 1915 California Arts and Crafts bungalow)
  • Allow swinging door to swing into the kitchen, which it hadn't been able to do in decades

What we did:

• Removed clay chimney flue (original to house and serving the stove, water heater, and furnace; latter two had to be moved or replaced as part of the project to meet current code)
  • Removed partition wall added in 1939 remodel
  • Removed moulding added in 1939 remodel and replaced with moulding matched to original
  • Removed ceramic tile floor; replaced with Marmoleum Click tile floating floor to lower overall floor height while preserving fir subfloor
  • Repaired plaster, leveled ceiling, rehabbed windows, and replaced all cabinetry and fixtures

Lots more to say on all of this so I'll put that into a separate reply to keep it simple. But here's the important stuff: the pics!

The old kitchen (second kitchen for our old house, last renovated in 1939 with a 2007 seller facelift):

The new kitchen:

Comments (55)

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

So now you have a kitchen that is waaay charming, waaay cool, and a bit funky. In other words, perfect for your house (as well as some others of us.) Keeping the range is just brilliant.

Heartfelt -- and a bit envious -- congratulations.

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

I've been waiting for your reveal for a while now, knowing it would be perfect for your old house, and it is!
    I love the mix of color, the period appropriate-ness, and the overall feel and openness of the space.
    Great job- I so hope you enjoy the space. Congrats!

• plllog
    12 years ago

Oh, wow!! I'm not entirely awake yet, but by the time I got to the shoe rack my eyes opened wide and told me, "I know that kitchen!!" (Not that I don't know your screenname, but pictures connect directly.) LOL!

It way more than fulfills the plan. I particularly love the chairs and the petite demilune. Plus, many of your touches give it a real grown in place look that totally blurs the identifiable dates. Very, very cool.

• hlove
    12 years ago

It looks wonderful!!! Love the marmo floors and just the whole vibe. Congratulations!

• bahacca
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I'm with cluelessincolorado--Love, love, love, love, LOVE it!!! I love that it fits with the period of the house, love the vintage range, open shelving, and ready access to all your cooking implements. I also love that you didn't stage it for the photo and there are fridge magnets and didn't stage it for the photo.

What is the paint color? I just painted my kitchen what could very well be the same color (Behr Pear). I am also in Oakland, in a 1910 Edwardian, so I have a good idea what you were working with.

So nice!

• cawaps
    12 years ago

Sorry, finally found the wall color in your post. Not the same as mine, but very close. I think mine is a bit more day-glo.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

To. Die. For.

Absolutely, a happy, happy, successful kitchen reno. If mine turns out to be even half that nice, I'll be thrilled!

L.

• rosie
    12 years ago

Absolutely love your kitchen, Artemis. Making a new kitchen that's a great setting for refrigerator art is a real...art. Love it, love it! I'd be very happy to work in that happy place.

• senator13
    12 years ago

Love it. That kitchen has so much character. It is so perfectly charming. And what's not to love about a space with a retro beer sign?!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

O yes! yes! a thousand times yes! LOVE this kitchen. I love that there are no upper cabinets marching around the room like grim soldiers -- just shelves exactly where you need them. I love your color choices. I love the swinging door (be still my heart!). And I love that you still have the original wooden windows -- and stripped the hardware? or are these new?

I lived in a Palo Alto bungalow for a number of years during grad school, and the quality of light in your photos make me very nostalgic for those days (although if our kitchen had been half as snazzy as yours, I probably never would have bothered leaving).

And of course we gardenwebbers with O'Keefe and Merritt ranges are a small but lively bunch. I can't recall, does your High-Vue have a Grillevator? We just fired ours up for the first time since owning the stove, and promptly began grilling anything that stands still long enough.

You probably joined around the same time I did - do you recall Francybayarea's kitchen? Yours has that same lovely, tactile, friendly vibe.

Use it in good health always!

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Good job, Artemis! Good, good job! This is the kind of kitchen that I look at and don't wonder whether or not there is a real cook and real family and friends that inhabit the space! It's open and spacious yet cozy and embracing all at once. Got that old house "home" feeling that we all remember and love but can be afraid to adopt-- even when we have old houses! I'm especially loving the new openness created by removing the chimney flue and partition wall. The new mouldings are perfect; the cabs are strutting their stuff. And all for only 30k? As I said, good for you! And enjoy!

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

Just wonderful!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Charming and sweet kitchen!!! :-)

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi Artemis, It was so much fun to open up your post and see your charming kitchen in its full finished form.
    You have been such a great participant on this forum and so generous with your advice throughout the past year (or more?).
    It is really fun to see how it all came together for you with a great overall vibe
    and so many charming individual elements -- your cabinets, of course, but also your floor, lighting, and the pencil liner detail in your subway tile, just to mention a few of the details I love.
    Thanks for showing us the California cooler in action. And for your helpful, detailed descriptions.
    Congratulations!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Wow, it's gorgeous. Love how the range is such a focal point. I also like the floor and your dinette, but everything is just fabulous.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! I love your vintage range with the utensils conveniently hung over it and the open shelves nearby! Love the bookshelf, stacked inset cabs, floor, wall color, BS, and lighting!

Enjoy!

• artemis78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all!!

@lavender_lass, it sounds funny, but the floor really *is* so comfortable! We've happily had a really good Marmoleum experience (although it is certainly not as tough as the old ceramic tile as far as taking abuse)---it's been a great fit for us. We made the unconventional decision not to add heat to our kitchen as part of the remodel. Instead, we laid WhisperWool under the flooring to insulate it a bit and let the morning sun warm the room with a little help from the old stove. I was very uncertain about this the first winter (we put the floor down last December) but it worked out beautifully. The floor warms up very quickly (far, far cry from the old tile!) and it really is so comfy to walk on barefoot. It has also held up really well to our giant dog, which was a big concern.

@plllog, I'm glad you like the chairs since I have this sneaking suspicion they may be there for the long haul---we go back and forth on what to do with that space and just can't seem to figure it out! The shoe rack is still the bane of my existence, though---in an eleventh hour panic on the day of cabinet install, I asked the cabinetmaker to push the cabinets back three inches into the room, dropping that space down from the 42" in the plan to 39". (In the old kitchen, you walked right into a wall of cabinets, so this was a huge fear.) I mean, how big a deal can three inches be, right?? A big one, apparently...all the stock shoe benches and storage units are sized to 36" or 42" so at this point we'll probably have something custom made for that space since I've pretty much given up on stumbling on a wonderful 39" bench. Ah, well. I get a lot of grief about that decision, although happily it worked out on all other fronts! At some point it will have coat hooks, a bench, and some shelves above, though.

@circuspeanut, sadly no Grillevator in our O&M, but we like it a lot otherwise. I actually had it rehabbed as part of the remodel so it now has working wiring and re-enameled burner grates, which I need to snap some shots of too! (They also fixed the door hinge but it's since broken again, so it's on my list of things to tackle...argh.) We did indeed strip the hardware for the windows, and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. We also really like the open shelves, though as these photos make clear, we're not sticklers about what goes on them---they're very functional and not especially pretty, but they work well for us. The plan is to eventually add some shallow shelves to the right of the stove too and move the oils up off the counter.

The swinging door was a huge project that was just finished last weekend, but we (by which I mostly mean my husband, whose baby that was) are also really liking how it came together. (The hinge had broken after a PO tried to force it to open into the kitchen with a too-high tile floor, and it was bolted to the subfloor, which made it a complicated mess to get back into working order---though the up side was that because it had such a crazy installation, no one had bothered removing it in all these years!) And thanks for the comparison to Francy's kitchen, too---that's one of my inspiration kitchens!

@francoise47, thanks--the CA cooler was one of those things that we designed around and I'm so glad we did! I restored it as part of the project, though we still have to insulate the door (and get it better organized!) but it has been wonderful---and the icing on the cake was that I cracked the piece of plywood off of the door that had been added in the 1939 remodel to make it "match" the slab cabinets, and underneath was the original Shaker style door, which was a practically perfect match to the doors our cabinetmaker had made for us! (In fairness, not totally coincidental since we had matched the cabinetry to other built-in doors in the house---but I was still ecstatic to find it, and then my husband sanded it down and rehung it.)

And @cawaps---oh, but this *is* staged! I took all the paint cans and drop cloths and leftover hardware that have been sitting on the table since April and threw them on the back porch so I could take the photos... ;)

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

yeah - it looks terrific!!! congrats on all of your hard work!

• plllog
    12 years ago

Oh, dear! So many multiples of 3 out there, and the benches are only in 6's? Oh, well. In the short term, what you have keeps the shoes out of the path, and if you have something made it'll probably be even more functional. It was the shoe rack that made me think "mud area" and scroll back up to see that yes, it was the California cooler and the angled cabinet. The recognition of your project started with the humble shoes. :) (I know, I know, I could have looked at the name, but pictures register better for me.)

Re the chairs, sometimes the thing that needs to be done is nothing. Maybe tie on some cushions if they're not sitting well. The look of the chairs and table and demilune is so perfect with the rest of the kitchen, and the shape of the chairs, especially, is really fab. Kind of Fin de Sicle combined with Art Nouveau combined with Machine Age, and just graceful and well designed. :)

I like the kitchen, too. :)

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

What a charming and adorable kitchen that has so many unique elements that fits your home. I love the vintage range, the lighting, the range hood, the inset cabinets with that perfect shade of white, the polished nickel hardware, the small workspace island with the colorful bowls, and the counters. Thanks for sharing.

• dee850
    12 years ago

I love this kitchen! So bright, fun, unfussy - seems like a great place to be.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Your kitchen looks like I made many of your choices, lol.... I love the period feel, and esp that it feels very real and not Disney-esque. I can see cooking and eating in this kitchen. It would fit a grandma or a young family equally well. I would feel immediately home in this kitchen. It has a warmth and cheerfulness that are so inviting.
    The bs, stove, utensil rack and open shelves are all so wonderful ;) btw - I was wondering why you don't make open shoe shelves as well, instead of a rack?

FWIW-we share 2/3 of the Marm colors plus we have Wales Green in our laundry room and hallway so far. Once we can paint the living room (it needs cosmetic repairs from shoddy work), it will complete the WG in our house. I could not figure what it reminded me of, but one day it hit me. It is the color of a frozen margarita. You can't get more cheerful than that!

• mtpam2
    12 years ago

Love the whole look! So bright and welcoming! Especially like the fridge surround with the book shelves above and the smaller top cabinets with glass. Trying to figure out how to finish off my fridge surround, and really like this look. It looks like a wood frame, maybe 1 1/2, or is it wider than that? I've seen the fridge panels with the front trim piece, but like the looks of this frame instead. Did you build this yourself, or was it part of your cabinet order?
    Enjoy your kitchen!

• artemis78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! @dianalo, I'm really digging the Wales Green now in spite of some misgivings about it initially, and love the frozen margarita bit! We had a tough time finding a green that would play with the gray (and didn't really realize how gray the room would turn with the floor...after everything was in, my husband, who had held firm on the gray floor and gray cabinets, conceded that maybe some yellow or other colors might have worked too!) We actually negotiated to Wales Green from Pear Green (next color up on the chip) which was DH's first choice, but I think would have been a little too bright. We've also had the same thought about the shoe rack (and may yet go that route)---the challenge there is just that the beadboard area was an old laundry porch and has some funky structural stuff going on behind it so there aren't regular studs to mount things to in the same way. But we've talked about using the same IKEA brackets as the shelves for little shoe racks and then using some butcher block to make a bench above it.

@mtpam2, the fridge surround is actually an adjustable shelf with a front 1.5" piece that drops down to hide the air space on the top of the fridge (and is sized to match the rails on the cabinets). Our cabinets are custom so I basically drew it for our cabinetmaker and he built it, but you could easily do the same thing by just putting an open shelf between two fridge panels (either through a cabinet company or by leaving it open and having a carpenter build the shelf). The idea was to make the space adjustable for future fridges of varying heights---one reason we had to abandon our old cabinets was that our 1939 fridge enclosure was way too small for modern fridges and I wanted to avoid that problem at least for the foreseeable future! We ended up keeping our old fridge for now but the enclosure is sized to fit most 36" counter-depth fridges, and the shelf can bump up to be a shorter bookshelf or a cookie sheet shelf (it's on the lowest setting now). It's one of the things I'm especially pleased with on our cabinets---the other two being our angled cabinet (which I fought like crazy but my husband insisted on---turned out he was right!) and our under-sink double trash pullout, which neither the cabinetmaker nor the plumber believed would work, but which fits perfectly (and to their credit, both humored me and built/worked around it anyway).

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

now that's a kitchen I'd take in a heartbeat! just love it. can't list everything - it'd be all of it!

• Linda
    12 years ago

So many beautiful features! It must be a joy working in it!

• logansmum
    12 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen. I've seen a lot of discussions here about how to make a kitchen "timeless" and you have really created one. To me, it's both vintage AND modern. It fits the character and age of your house, yet still has a modern, fresh feel to it. Enjoy.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I love it, great choices all around, it looks great!!! Beautiful and fun : )

• caryscott
    12 years ago

Terrific job, you have made great choices. It looks so comfortable and welcoming and not like you need to break out the good clothes just to go in (intimidating is not the right look for a kitchen in my book). I am envious of your stove. Congratulations!

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

This kitchen is *so* Oakland! It reminds me of our old place on Forest St., but all fixed up. Good job, artemis!

• elba1
    12 years ago

Cool - it looks fun! Enjoy!

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! The windows and natural light are amazing and the space flows so well. The kitchen is so fresh and bright but also looks like it has always been there. Totally coveting your stove....

• katieob
    12 years ago

Yay!!

It looks awesome. I agree with the others-keeping the stove was a great move.

Such a warm kitchen. Enjoy it & congrats.

Katie

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I love it. The first thing I thought was "oh no, I hope they kept the stove".
    Great job. Terrific floor.

Open, bright, airy, functional, modern and old fashioned at once.

• function_first
    12 years ago

I really love this. I've scrolled up and down looking at the pictures multiple times, which speaks to just how many wonderful details there are to take in. Really nice reno. I love it -- fits the house absolutely perfectly.

I love the sink and stove area -- it looks like a wonderful place to work. The stove is beautiful -- so glad you were able to keep it.

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

Very bright and cheerful, you must be thrilled! Love your stove too, glad you kept it!

I have a question regarding your school house ceiling lights, what size are the shades?

• adel97
    12 years ago

Love it, great details. My faves are the floor and the stove!

• artemis78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For tinker, the shades are 14" (from Schoolhouse Electric)---I thought they were way too big when they first arrived but now we are used to them and they seem perfect. I think 12" would have worked well too but those didn't come with the stripes and DH really wanted stripes---could've just painted them ourselves but I didn't trust my ability to draw a straight line. ;) We also have strict lighting code requirements in California so to pass inspection these lights all take special GU24 light bulbs, which are quite large and needed deep shades---the 12" would have barely cleared the bulbs (I think) but the 14" shades clear them with a bit of wiggle room so it's easier to get them on and off. The green shade is 8".

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

What in improvement from your original space! A beautiful new kitchen to make the heart of your home. Enjoy!

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

Congratulations, it looks wonderful and I wish you much happiness.

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

DARLING!!! Enjoy.

• laurielou177
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen. We're almost done w/our 1918 house's kitchen and love our marmoleum floors too. We had similar big tiles before. New flood in itself was a huge improvement. We did a similar green wall and subway tile w/liner. Will post soon. Glad to hear you had to move some hardware, paint cans etc. to take pictures. We're still moving that stuff around even though kitchen's mostly done. Love your stove!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Charming is exactly what this is...and with a lot of fun character, too. I love the floors, and the gray cabinets...the color we used in our laundry room and close to what's on my stove area. It's one of my favorite paint colors. Love the simple, classic and also gorgeous backsplash. Great job!

• gardeningmusician
    12 years ago

I had to come out of lurkdom on this forum to comment on your new kitchen! I looked twice to be certain this was the NEW kitchen because it so perfectly suits the age and style of your home that I thought it might be the original kitchen.

Love the stove, lighting, eating area for humans and pets, the shoe rack, and the warmth and evidence of family living that happens in this room. You've achieved a timeless kitchen which is marvelously integrated with your bungalow.

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

Love the soapstone with the green cabinets. Love the light fixtures, the open shelving, the hanging utensils and glad you kept the range. Beautiful vintage kitchen that fits your house, but with modern conveniences. Enjoy!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

I keep coming back to look at this yummy kitchen. As other have said, it is a fabulous mix of vintage character, in keeping with the age/style of the house, with a fresh modern vibe. Just wonderful. Enjoy!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Seriously wonderful!

Going back for more gazing, but one thing I am really digging on is your sweet little pantry! Love that!

Big congrats!

• Elsa Gernand
    2 years ago

So sad that the image links are broken! I would have loved to see your kitchen.