Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Another white kitchen...I'm so upset :(

lavender_lass
9 years ago

I've always loved white kitchens! That being said, I was looking at another lovely, large, white kitchen with marble backsplash and thought....hmmm.

No! I don't want to be one of those jaded people, who get so burned out they no longer like white cabinets! I still like marble, I still like wood floors, but I've never liked stainless steel. Maybe that's it?

I don't know when it happened, but I guess it's been coming for a long time. While I don't really like anything more than white...I think it's been overdone, at least for me. I need to find a way to make white, marble and wood exciting again. Maybe in a smaller space, with color on the walls? Some plants in the window? Metal bistro set in the corner? View out to the garden?

These are things you do NOT see in many of these 'designer' kitchens....so maybe there's still hope! :)

And....for everyone I just offended, who has a white kitchen....I'm with you! I love them. I just don't want to see another 'cookie cutter' magazine photo shoot....

Comments (41)

• emma
    9 years ago

I don't like snow white or black. Black seems so cold, hard, depressing and non welcoming. I do use a lot of what people call white in my home, but it's really a very, very light tan. It makes the room lighter.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I love white cabinets but it doesn't have to be all white. Who came up with that stupid rule??? My kitchen is all white cabinets with white appliances, but there is plenty of color otherwise. My walls are a very silvery blue by the way. And I don't look at designer magazines, I do what I want, if someone comes in here and sniffs, that's their problem.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Maybe you just need to take a break from looking at kitchens. Of course you have to stay here on the kitchen forum : ) but take a break from tv shows, magazines, websites, etc. for a while.

• lam702
    9 years ago

You know, I must admit, it seems that everyone is doing white shaker cabinets, and just when I think I am tired of seeing them, someone posts another beautiful white kitchen reveal and I think, no I am not tired of them, each one is a bit different and beautiful in their own way. But, like everything else, eventually it will become what we consider "dated" and there will be another must have trend. Its inevitable, I suppose, no matter what style kitchen you have.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I don't understand the problem, lavender.

Are you planning to get a white kitchen? You're seeing too many of them, you're getting tired of them?

Don't get one. Consider yourself lucky. :)

Do you have one but now don't feel special because a lot of other people have them too? Maybe stop looking at other people's kitchens?

I know I've said this a million times, but, for all the white kitchens on TV, in magazines, and here at GW, I'm the only person I know who has one. All those countless white kitchens really don't exist to me. The only thing that's real is the kitchen in my house, behind whose doors lurk cat chow, soup bowls and booze.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Linelle, you go, girl! (Don't know for sure if you are a girl??) Anyway, when we built our house 9 years ago EVERYONE was doing the dark cabinets, appliances, countertops and/or walls. I was determined that I was going completely different not only because I wanted to be different but because all their kitchens looked like dungeons. I like lightness so I can see and if it gets dirty I can see it and clean it up. When I was very young I wanted all the things that everyone else wanted, but I eventually grew up and began to suit my own taste, not what the decorator magazines mandate. And I don't know anyone else with a white kitchen, either by the way.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

ritaweeda. Yes, of the female variety. :) We think alike.

• plllog
    9 years ago

One of my all time favorite kitchens belonged to the lady down the street when I was a kid. I used to go visit her while she was doing her housework. It had white cabinets, a blue blue (like crayola blue) linoleum floor set on the diagonal. The squares had a kind of low contrast, tone on tone concentric squares pattern. The counters/backsplashes were white tile, but I don't remember if it was a blue tile v-cap edge or a steel edge. There were some blue accent tiles, I think. The walls were white, and I think the curtains were white with blue trim. I don't remember the appliances well, but I think it was a white range and fridge. Definitely, a white porcelain cast iron sink.

It was a simple, mid-century galley, always spotless, and facing the westering sun and back garden.

Even though the colors were very cool, the feeling of the kitchen was very warm.

I can't tell you how much time I spent hopscotching the floor pattern, or heel-to-toeing the lines while we talked about not much and she did whatever it was that moms did. It was a beautiful kitchen!

Stop looking at magazines. You won't be tired of kitchens that people actually live in.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Live and let live. I never had the ladyballs to do a white kitchen myself but there's a reason they're so popular - they're gorgeous when they're done right. Just like you get tired of the hit song overplayed on the radio, you can't help but shake your booty when it comes on. No judgement necessary and certainly no need to stress out over it.

This post was edited by Swentastic on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 19:40

• Lars
    9 years ago

I had a white kitchen for 15 years when I lived in Venice (CA) from 1994 - 2009, and so they are nothing new to me. At the time I liked it because it was bright and made the small room seem larger. However, my preference is for bleached maple or white birch cabinets, as the white cabinets in Venice were really bad about showing any kind of dirt. The cabinets I have now are maple, but they aren't bleached, and I wish they were lighter, but I will never paint them, as I do not like painted cabinets. At one time I painted my kitchen cabinets red, but that was in San Francisco in the 1970s. I moved frequently back then and now am quite settled.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the responses and great ideas! :)

There are so many ways to make a 'white kitchen' your own...and I appreciate your help. I have always wanted a white kitchen and it just seems like by the time I get to remodel...it will be so 'been there, done that'.

It just isn't fair...I liked white kitchens, when everyone seemed to have dark wood cabinets! LOL

Oh, and I HAVE stopped looking at magazines...for the most part.

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 20:20

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

My current kitchen is horridly painted white cabs...light beige faux brick sheet vinyl floors, white walls, white appliances and bleached out butcher block laminate, we bought this house in May.

When we redo it, it will still have the white appliances, we will add white tiled walls, and a white apron front sink. From there the white ends. :)

• threepinktrees
    9 years ago

I know just how you feel! My first own kitchen was white, and when we remodeled that house I redid the kitchen in cabinets. We moved this summer into a house with a very bad, but white, kitchen. We're getting ready to remodel it and are doing it in, yes, white. I loved the brightness in all the permutations of my kitchens and can't imagine a kitchen another way for me. But it does make me hope it doesn't become a new 'golden oak!'

However, I agree that while it's popular among those of us who talk about kitchens all the time, it's definitely not the majority around here.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I know what you mean, they're everywhere...in photographs. In person? Not so much. At least not where I live. Mine has all the elements, white shaker, marble backsplash, white and grey quartzite counters. But it also has soft blue paint and toile curtains, which don't seem to be all that common. More importantly, it has my family. We love it. In the end that's really all that matters.

• romy718
    9 years ago

32 houses in my subdivision. I have the only white kitchen.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I have had white kitchens for 35 years in some form or other. I will always have a white kitchen. Our current kitchen was remodeled 4 years ago and it is white.

When we moved into our house 25 years ago the kitchen had walnut slab doors and yes, I painted them white.

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

I didn't want a white kitchen. Wanted light rustic wood but it clashed with my floor which is a MAJOR focal point in my kitchen because it is herringbone with lots of striations.

I ended up with two-toned - white upper cabinets and fairly dark gray (Ikea Lidingo) lower cabinets. My tall floor to ceiling pantry cabinets are all white. Countertops are a marble like quartz. Walls are moderate to light gray.

Anyway - I like that I have largely a white kitchen because upper cabs stand out more than lower ones but I REALLY like that the white is tempered with the gray lower cabinets.

Two toned is a great compromise for those struggling with whether they REALLY want an all white kitchen. If I didn't have floors that make such a strong statement, I could have gone with rustic/striated light wood for lower cabinets but that will have to be for a later day.

Sorry, kitchen isn't finished - hopefully sometime before Christmas I can post.

Good luck.

• User
    9 years ago

" I need to find a way to make white, marble and wood exciting again. Maybe in a smaller space, with color on the walls? Some plants in the window? Metal bistro set in the corner? View out to the garden?"

Bunny tile? Kitchen table? Plate rack on the wall?

All your ideas from past threads on the subject, and those are the things with personality. I don't see anything unique about a garden view, wall color, etc. Are you asking for some new ideas?

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I think that adding the "look of handmade" rugs make a huge statement in a white kitchen and give it a different authentic, warm look with a lot of personality. I love how this runner looks in this white kitchen.

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Long Island City General Contractors Best & Company

• lam702
    9 years ago

I had oak cabinets, not honey, but a medium dark stain, with light counters. This time, I wanted the opposite, light maple cabinets and dark counters. I didn't want natural, for fear of it yellowing in time (as my natural maple table and chairs have) so I chose one shade darker than natural. I also didn't want shaker, I had a sorta/kinda modified shaker/beadboard door and always wanted a raised panel, so that is what I got this time around. It is not today's trend, not white, not dark , not shaker, but I got it because I liked it and I wanted it, despite what the current trend is. I have no regrets, I love it even if it isn't the latest trend. As I've said, trends come and go, so don't worry about it, if you love a white kitchen (or any other kind) get it if it makes you happy. Eventually it will be dated, but so what? If you spend a lot of time in your kitchen, as I do, you want something that you love, without worrying about whether or not its "dated"

• robynstamps
    9 years ago

I think you might be talking about my new white kitchen that I just posted yesterday! Haha! I have white cabinets, marble backsplash, wood floor, and stainless steel appliances. If it makes you feel any better, here is the view I get to look at every day out my kitchen window. I am LOVING my new kitchen. Do what you love and you will be completely happy. :)

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Robyn, are you near Tucson? Tia

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Robynstamps, I would love a beautiful view like you have? I wish I had a window over my sink. I feel everyone should go with what they love within reason depending on how long they plan to stay in their home.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

>>I need to find a way to make white, marble and wood exciting again. Good luck with that, chickie.

• RocksAndRoses
    9 years ago

As a chemical engineer, I believe in form follows function. I have done kitchen designs for a local granite company as well as both laboratory and kitchen designs for an industrial casework manufacturer. I have found that many people with the fanciest kitchens do very little cooking!

Some of the best cooks I know have very basic, no frills kitchens. In economic times such as these, I am grateful to have a roof over my head and food on the table. In the NYC area, lots of people have foreclosed on homes because they couldn't pay their second mortgages for the expensive remodeling.

Fill your life with what you love and you will be happy with your surroundings. Trends come and go, but personal style always prevails.

I would be very excited by a kitchen with white appliances, cherry or mahogany wood cabinets and a marble topped kitchen island for making bread and pastry. I agree with you about stainless appliances. I can take them or leave them. Cleaning hard water stains from my stainless sink and dishwasher is annoying.

If you think about trends in bathrooms and kitchens over time, white is a good investment. It beats avocado green, mustard yellow, turquoise, pink...and many of the other trendy, "exciting" color trends through the years. If you love a certain color and want to decorate your house with it fabulous! But choose it because you love it, not because it is the latest trend in the decorator magazines.

Ignore the people who are snobby and snarky about your choices. They probably wouldn't be interesting dinner guests anyway.

My little dog has the right idea. He is very excited by the chicken soup simmering on my white stove.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the bunny tile, the plate rack, kitchen table....I'm afraid that probably won't happen. At least not in this farmhouse :(

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

ok, I'll bite, what's bunny tile?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bunny tile...
    {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Here's my real problem. I am looking at houses online, because I have to move. Most have old kitchens that would look much better painted white or some color, rather than old, scuffed wood tone. I love white, but I'm definitely going to have to adapt my plan to work with another kitchen and farmhouse.

So, let's start with the good (okay GREAT) news....my husband is slowly recovering!

But in the middle of all this, we were foreclosed on.This happened last winter. We were going through a medical bankruptcy (even with the best insurance....eight to ten months in hospital and rehab and they quit paying) and we were supposedly restructuring our mortgage.

Long story....the employee left the mortgage company, after giving us completely wrong information, it was extremely difficult to get anything in writing (despite my numerous attempts) and we finally ended up with judicial foreclosure in the middle of our bankruptcy. Still not sure exactly how that happened....but the judge went along with it and we're out in April. At least we had a year (now six months) to find a new place.

I haven't said anything about this, mainly because it happens to so many people, especially with medical problems. I just keep telling myself...I'm one of the lucky ones. My husband came home and he's all in one piece. Between the situations I saw in the hospital, rehab and all the conflicts going on in the world...a lot of people can't say that.

With all this going on, I have tried to stay positive. I hope my late grandmother would be proud that I haven't given up. She always said Scottish women don't quit. They get up, dust themselves off and keep going. They're stubborn! And they know, they really don't have any other choice...

• plllog
    9 years ago

((((((((((((LL))))))))))))

It won't let me post just that. So, when you're in your new place and fixing up your new kitchen, let me know and I'll send you some beautiful tile to brighten it. I know the bunnies were discontinued, but I'm sure I can find something. If you're not doing a backsplash, it can be a trivet.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Thanks Lavender. I was outside the loop on that one : )

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

I just started lurking on the kitchen forum and have been having a great time. Would like to reno the kitchen at some point in the future and was interested to see what everyone's talking about on this forum.

LL, sorry to hear about your troubles. You have a fantastic attitude.
    In reference to your bunny tiles, have you considered trying to find an artist who can paint them for you? In my old kitchen I used 4x4 white tiles and my mom painted a handful of them with botanicals.

I was interested in this thread about white kitchens. 15 years ago when I knew we were going to move and build a new house, I went through all of my home magazines that had been taking up space on the bookshelves. I randomly ripped out anything I found interesting from paint color, to bathroom ideas, flooring, etc......anything for a new house.

I always knew what my new kitchen would be.....shaker cherry or maple cabinets. For sure. I love wood tones and we had oak in our old kitchen but I really like the finer grained woods. I was so excited to think of what my new kitchen would look like.

One evening I sorted through all my magazine pages and put them into piles. Afterwards, I perused through the kitchen pile and to my utter amazement, all but one of the photos were white kitchens! Never in a million years would I have thought I would have white cabinets, but I figured if that was what I had continued to select from the photos I'd better go with it. I've really enjoyed the white cabinets and have changed the feel of the kitchen with hardware changes. I don't have an all-white kitchen and I'm not sure if I ever will. Floors are medium wood tone and the counters are a cranberry/raspberry laminate. We'll go with a stone next time around but couldn't afford it at the time and I wanted something a little unexpected and colorful in the kitchen.

I'm looking forward to reading more threads on this forum and getting great ideas that I can stow away until I'm ready for a kitchen change. Who knows......maybe I'll surprise myself with an all black kitchen next time!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Lavender, please keep us posted on your house hunt. So glad to your husband is on the mend.
    Stay tough & we are here for you.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Lavender, that's wonderful news about your husband! Funny how blessings can be mixed. I wish you fortitude in the months ahead, and the best of all possible luck. And as for your next kitchen, once you pick one, you'll know what to do. And if you don't, someone here will know what to do. And I'll help with the backsplash! Meanwhile, dream of white kitchens with bunny tile :).

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

(((LL)))
    Of all the dreaming and planning you've done with the house you're in, and now that happens. Are you moving to another place with some land?

I'm so sorry. I struggle every day to keep my home. Although mine is a product of divorce, the battle remains the same. It's another fight against the system we're paying to be in.

Stay tough, stay Scottish! I am also glad your DH continues to improve. That was such a sudden nightmare!

Hang onto the dream. Even if it's simply bunny tiles!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

It's a cliché, but home is where the heart is.

I grew up in the house my dad built. I loved it dearly and it was like a third parent to me. Years later, after my dad was gone, my mom sold the house and moved to a senior community. After the movers took everything, I did the final walk-through. I was expecting it to be a very emotional goodbye. But you know what, it wasn't. Without the people, it was just four walls. But my memories have remained with me, wherever I go.

May your husband's health continue to improve as you go forth into your next adventure together.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

((((((((LL)))))))

I hope that your husband continues to recover and that you find a new home for you and your bunny tiles.``

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I ran across the site below and thought of your bunny tiles. She has squirrels, but I didn't see bunnies. But she does do custom work, and her style is appropriate.

I'm so glad your husband is continuing to improve. You seem to be successfully focusing on what is really important, despite your troubles. Good luck on the house search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artworks by Julia

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the very nice hugs and thoughtful responses :)

I was feeling a little sorry for myself yesterday, mainly because we found a place that might work, but we can't seem to get anyone to show it to us! The owner is out of the country and the other property we like has renters, who can't seem to move out. I'm sure we'll get to see them by the end of the month...but meanwhile, snow is coming and I have horses to move!

So, this is the house I would love to get. It's in a small town and across from some property with barns...and a small house, we could use for our home office. It probably needs some work, but it's on city water and sewer (you appreciate the little things, after living in the country LOL) but also has a well for watering the garden.

I'll let you know how things go...but I just REALLY want to know if this is going to work out. I am so tired of dealing with this entire thing and just want to fix up a house, move in and get on with our lives!

But, then I remind myself how lucky I am to have a place to live, while we are waiting, a husband I love (and best friend) who is getting better every day...and still have my horses, kitties and garden. We should be able to keep it all, with some creative relocation and a bit of luck :)

Oh, here's the house...I really want to see the inside, but peeking in the windows, it seems like a great fit for us! {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Cawaps- Thank you for the link!

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 14:16

• plllog
    9 years ago

Wow! That house looks like something from a storybook! I hope it all works out, and soon.

• RocksAndRoses
    9 years ago

What a lovely classic house! It would look lovely with trellises of climbing roses and a cottage garden! I hope it has a lovely country kitchen.

I vote for bunny tiles and green painted cabinets! Maybe not...

I LOVE blue and white tiles. If I were tiling a back splash, it would be in cobalt blue and white.

FYI, white marble kitchens are trending.
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/marble-kitchens-211124

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Has the house been sitting empty for three years? I notice your photo is stamped 3/23/11. Maybe I'm not seeing that correctly.