Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

O/T and S/O Identity Theft must read

loves2cook4six
16 years ago

Teedup1 had her wallet stolen out of her purse. I feel this information is too important to get lost in another thread so I am reposting my reply to her here:

RUN, don't walk, to the trinity of credit bureaus and make sure you have a fraud alert attached to ALL your accounts. Anyone can do this and every one should! That way if anyone tries to open an account in your name, you will need to be contacted at your HOME number to insure it is you trying to open the account.

This saved us from identity theft and hopefully others here will benefit from it too.

Yes, it does make it a little harder and more inconvenient for you too if you need credit for anything from department store credit cards to a home mortgage and anything in be tween but at least you have the peace of mind of knowing where your credit is going.

And finally, make sure you have fraud alerts on all your children too. This is the fastest growing form of identity theft. A thief will take your child's ss # and ruin their credit before they are old enough to even walk and no one is the wiser till they apply for a college loan.

BE PROACTIVE!!

Comments (9)

• jakkom
    16 years ago

Not only children, but also seniors are at high risk. They generally have excellent credit, but few ever check their credit bureau records on a regular basis.

• lara_jane
    16 years ago

We just had a random charge show up on our checking account (done with a check card) and we've heard of people charging insignificant amounts, often crediting them back immediately, just to see whether the account is active. At that point they'll use the account to charge hundreds or thousands of dollars. It's a pain, but we cancelled the card just to be on the safe side. I think especially during the holidays, it'd be easy to let something like this slip by, but it's also the time of year where we can't afford for something bad to happen with our money!

Make sure you keep an eye on all activity! Better safe than sorry, to be sure.

• weissman
    16 years ago

My 2 cents on the subject - people should not have debit cards - they're theft waiting to happen. Debit cards can be used like credit cards without a pin and the money immediately comes out of your account - yes you can usually get it back but it can be a hassle. With a credit card, you're not actually out the money and it's a lot easier to dispute erroneous charges. Many banks, by default, make your ATM card a debit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo, but you can, and IMHO should, request an ATM card that's only an ATM card.

Unless, you're someone who can't control your spending, you're much better off with a credit card rather than a debit card.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Good points,

But as an aside- if you are planning on taking a holiday - good idea to let your credit card company know. A few years ago, we spent an anxious hour or two in a Mexican restaurant the first night we arrived trying to deal with a language issue and phoning VISA because our card was declined. (At the time quite embarassing- but luckily it all got resolved) Because of the identity theft issue, for any large or purchase out of your regular pattern, sometimes the credit card company will not allow the purchase.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Good topic! Back in early May, I was planning a big college graduation party for our son (in the state he was graduating, not ours). I called in my final head count from home before we left for the big day and the woman who identified herself as the assistant manager asked me for my credit card number and info to guarantee all this. Not finding this terribly unusual, I gave it to her. Two months later she ordered herself a lot of expensive jewelry with my credit card number. Turns out she was just a waitress, but had a rap sheet in two states for theft etc. The restaurant had never bothered with a background check on her! All this gal needed was a credit card number, name of user and exp. date. When they found her, she had a very long list of other credit card numbers in her posession. Scary! My advice is to be very careful during the holidays especially, when extra help is hired and may not be fully checked out. And keep a close watch on every charge on every credit card bill. Because this gal did not have my actual credit card in hand, I wasn't responsible for the charges, but it took months of credit searches, MANY letters, cancelling our credit card and fiing police reports in three states before I could rest (semi)easy again!

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Good info. Even with a debit card, if you have sufficient proof that the transaction fraudulent, most banks will credit the money to your account within 24 hours. Some will provide ER money until things can be resolved. I know some credit do this as well.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

We have received some VERY authentic looking emails lately- allegedly from our credit card company. They had our name, last 4 digits of the credit card number and the email thanked us for using the credit card to set up an automatic payment. That was our red flag- we NEVER do automatic payments or auto withdrawals.

A word to the wise- if you receive a notice from your credit card company- don't click on ANY link- call the number on the back of your card and verify that the email was sent by them.

• terible
    16 years ago

Great posts lately on how to protect your identity, including robbery precautions. I really took everything to heart. Went through the closet and found my last years unused Christmas present wallet and as I would be doing a lot of running around for the holidays I was careful to only put the necessary cards in. Purse was cleaned out of any lingering papers that may have personal information ect. I was ready to go, went to the car shut the garage door backed out the gate. Forgot some doctor forms, pulled back in to get my stuff ran back to the car and left. Yes, after all that, I never shut the garage door on last departureÂÂÂ.door was open to the world all day long. There may be no hope for me!

• kyliegirl
    16 years ago

You can put a credit freeze at all three credit companies. Some home owners insurance now offer ID theft insurance also. I know mine was not very expensive at all.

Barb