Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellacucina_gw

Any issues with garbage disposal airswitches?

bellacucina
13 years ago

Somewhere I heard or read that they can get gunked up or have problems with water when cleaning the counter- we thinking about putting one in, so I'd love to hear about any issues.

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• Fori
    13 years ago

No problem with mine after a year of abuse and puddles. Believe me...if anyone would have gunk issues it'd be me.

• momqs
    13 years ago

I only used ours for a few weeks, but I must say it's one of my favorite things in our new kitchen. Using the disposal is a pleasure instead of a pain. Gunk or no gunk I'd install one again in a heartbeat.

• sayde
    13 years ago

I can't remember who, but someone on this forum installed the air switch on the vertical cabinet panel right next to the sink. I'm thinking I'm going to do that too, to avoid putting the hole in the counter top. I hadn't thought about the gunk issue but that just seems like one more reason to put it on the cabinet

• donnakay2009
    13 years ago

I'm with Momqs. We love both of ours (even put one at the prep sink on the island). They're great!!! And, as a sidelight, it's one of those "Ta-Da!" things to dazzle your family and friends with if they've never seen one before. Love it!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

No problems with ours in over two years...and our air switch is right in the "line of fire" for puddles.

One of the positive things about them is that water is NOT an issue. There's no direct connection to a source of electricity, so if you get them wet or use a wet hand to turn it on or off (which we do all the time), there's no danger...unlike a traditional switch.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

I've had one for awhile and no problem at all. I would also do it again. So much better than that switch on wall.

• rnest44
    13 years ago

Like donnakay2009, I put in one at the clean up sink and one on the island at the prep sink. A year later they are one of my favorite choices for my 80% complete kitchen. Like Buehl, the switch at the clean up sink is in a major puddle potential area.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

I love the functionality, and gunk/water are no problem at all for us.

But there is one issue: we used an aftermarket button trim because the Insinkerator version only came in chrome and white (we needed copper). This button has a tendency to stick once pressed, which makes it hard to press it again to turn the disposal off and has confounded a few houseguests.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I like the idea of putting it on the front of the cabinets instead of the counter but ours gets very wet...and I like it out of reach of small people.

• holligator
    13 years ago

No issues at all in almost three years here! I love them, and I think a countertop airswitch is by far the best solution for where to put the disposal switch for an island sink. Don't worry about getting them wet--that's the whole idea!

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody -- Looks like this is one decision that's made!!! Now for the other 999 . . .

• jossfan
    13 years ago

Our GC talked us out of an airswitch (and i didn't like the idea of one more hole in the granite) and recommended putting the disposall switch in the sink cabinet. So for those of you looking for another option . . . i open the cabinet door, and on the top right front is the disposall switch -- i like it. Out of the way and simple.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

If you have young children, I do not recommend putting a disposal switch inside a cabinet...it is far too easy for them to play with it.

Other negatives: You have to open the cabinet door and that means...(1) you have to step aside to get to it, (2) wet hands frequently on your cabinets, and (3) danger of shock with the wet hands since a standard switch has a direct connection to electrical current.

• jossfan
    13 years ago

All valid concerns, and I'm not a heavy user, plates are scraped, veg/fruit peelings composted . . . . It's all how you use it, really, as i run it after the sink is washed and hands are dry and clean, @ end of the day or end of party cleanup, and not as i'm in the middle of kitchen prep. As for the kids . . . no young children here, secure cabinets as needed. I'm more used to having overly helpful adults hit the wrong switch above counter! All in all, the solution fits my needs and i'm pleased with it.

• Jon T
    13 years ago

My old airswitch was 7 years old before my remodel began and I never had a problem with it. My sink was tile-in, so the switch would get wet whenever the sink got a proper scrub and rinse. To clean out the gunk that can collect around the button, unplug the disposal and wipe away. My new faucet (Kohler Vinnata) prevents installation of anything except an airswitch next to it, so it was a simple choice for me to choose one again.

Jon

• Fori
    13 years ago

You really don't have to disconnect the power to the disposal to degunk around the button. The worst that could happen is that you accidentally turn it on.

I think air switches first became popular for hot tubs, where wet people in water need to flip switches.

• auzzy
    13 years ago

I love my airswitch. Had to talk the contractor into it. After 4 years, no problem, no gunk. Another hole in the granite? Not a problem at all--not sure what that concern would be. Wouldn't want it on a wood surface though, such as on a cabinet, and no reason to put it inside the sink base cabinet--that's quite inconvenient and you might as well just put a regular switch there.

• sayde
    13 years ago

Are all the brands similar in quality? We just happened to buy a Mountain Plumbing air switch -- anyone know anything about whether they are about the same as the other brands?

My DH is actually fitting it on to the front panel right now. It will be near the corner and kind of obscured by the protruding apron sink, which is what I had hoped. No kids here so no concerns about accidentally turning it on.

• momqs
    13 years ago

One of our airswitches is in the middle of the island right next to the counter stools. It's easy to reach for my 5 year old, but it's a big effort for him to make it work - he can only use his thumb and it's still hard, so he doesn't really just push it for fun.

For clarification - it's very easy for an adult to push.

• cross_stitch
    13 years ago

5 years and counting for our air switch. No problems whatsoever. I was another who was always concerned about wet hands on the conventional switch under the sink. My sink (Rohl Allia) came with three holes. From L->R they are faucet with pull out sprayer, soap dispenser, air gap (California, doncha know). Love that air switch.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Where did most of you put the air switch? Inline to the side of your faucet and other in counter things: soap dispenser, filtered water spout, etc? Is it the most outermost of all of these?

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

bump

• cakie
    13 years ago

We have used ours for seven years now with no problems at all. It is no harder to clean than a switchplate in the backsplash would be. I love my air switch because I already had so much in the backsplash with sconce and recessed can switches plus plugs all around.