breezygirl_gw

Heed my advice--do NOT clean your oven today

breezygirl

I knew better. I had a small, nagging voice in the back of my head telling me to wait until Friday. I hit the self-clean button on my year-old Wolf's upper oven anyway. After all, I had cleaned the bottom oven in September without issue. I had planned to wait to clean the upper until after Thanksgiving, but when I was roasting the turkey wings for turkey stock yesterday, they spit all over the oven.

I found the perfect combo of having someone at home in case the house caught fire from the hot oven and yet not having the kids and I in the house smelling the awful oven cleaning smell so I went for it. I self-clean pushed the button and heard an awful sound of metal grinding on metal from the area where the oven latches itself closed for cleaning. As I was standing there with mouth agape, both ovens shut down and flashed the F1 error. Oven won't open and won't stop ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, dinging at me.

I cannot fix them. After multiple calls to multiple appliance services and Wolf, I found someone who took pity on me. They are overnighting a new control board (I really, really hope this is what will fix a stuck latch) and hope to install it Wednesday afternoon.

Did I mention I'm cooking Thanksgiving for a dozen guests? A smaller group than usual, but still lots of people. And I cook everything. Potluck is a dirty word in my house. I have 2 warm apps that need the oven, as well as the turkey, stuffing, and two of my desserts.

If you were even remotely thinking about cleaning your oven this week....

DON'T!!!!!