breezygirl_gw

Heed my advice--do NOT clean your oven today

breezygirl
November 19, 2012

I knew better. I had a small, nagging voice in the back of my head telling me to wait until Friday. I hit the self-clean button on my year-old Wolf's upper oven anyway. After all, I had cleaned the bottom oven in September without issue. I had planned to wait to clean the upper until after Thanksgiving, but when I was roasting the turkey wings for turkey stock yesterday, they spit all over the oven.

I found the perfect combo of having someone at home in case the house caught fire from the hot oven and yet not having the kids and I in the house smelling the awful oven cleaning smell so I went for it. I self-clean pushed the button and heard an awful sound of metal grinding on metal from the area where the oven latches itself closed for cleaning. As I was standing there with mouth agape, both ovens shut down and flashed the F1 error. Oven won't open and won't stop ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, dinging at me.

I cannot fix them. After multiple calls to multiple appliance services and Wolf, I found someone who took pity on me. They are overnighting a new control board (I really, really hope this is what will fix a stuck latch) and hope to install it Wednesday afternoon.

Did I mention I'm cooking Thanksgiving for a dozen guests? A smaller group than usual, but still lots of people. And I cook everything. Potluck is a dirty word in my house. I have 2 warm apps that need the oven, as well as the turkey, stuffing, and two of my desserts.

If you were even remotely thinking about cleaning your oven this week....

DON'T!!!!!

Comments (60)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268