Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

Favorite Gardening Shoes?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've ruined innumerable pairs of white leather sneakers as well as a variety of other nice walking shoes, fabric and otherwise, by using them while gardening. I also forget I'm wearing a really nice pair of shoes and think I'll just do a little pottering around, and then, voila, mud and grime attaches. So I've been considering a pair of shoes dedicated to gardening use. Something durable and preferably not white. I have on order a pair of Clark's that I hope will fit the bill--Clark Stinson's (they look like Wallabee boots) in brown smooth leather. But maybe others have favorite gardening shoes/boots?

Melissa

Comments (62)

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

I garden on a steep slope, so I need footwear that offers support, and our soil is heavy clay that turns to a stiff glue when wet. Usually when it's wet here it's also cold or cool, and even summers aren't drenched hot like in Florida. Rubber boots therefore, what the British call wellingtons, when the ground is wet, with heavy socks. When the soil is dry substantial shoes. My marvelous Mefisto light hikers after more than a decade may finally have passed beyond their useful life, though I'm still hanging on to them in case they come in handy, holes and all, next summer. Their substitute is a pair of substantial slip-on leather shoes with heavy soles made by Roper. The soles are important as we deal with much thorny brush as well as with the roses. I cut up pruned matter and mulch with it.
    Melissa

• buford
    9 years ago

I used to wear anything, even go barefoot. Now that was not smart. Since then I have had some issues with my feet/ankles and I do have many sloped areas, so I use a heavy pair of hight top Merrell hiking boots. I also wear them with heavy socks, even in the summer. I find I can work longer without my feet/legs getting tired and my feet stay clean. I usually just take them off in the garage or outside before I go in.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I have a pair of waterproof Keen hiking shoes that I wear when it's cool and damp. Most of the summer I wear synthetic-strapped Keen sandals in the garden since I can hose them off or throw them in the washing machine. When it's cold I have a pair of knee-high Muck boots that are warm and dry, but a bit heavy for walking all day in.

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

I once went to REI and bought a beautiful pair of heavy duty hiking boots to wear gardening since, like, Melissa I work on a steep slope. My feet and legs hated them. Mostly now I'll wear a shoe that was once a good sort of fancy walking shoe that has gotten scuffed. If it just had better traction I'd be happy.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

In the summer when it's warm enough I prefer to be barefoot but for spring and fall when it's still cold I use an old pair of docksiders. They are the toughest shoes ever! I think the ones I'm currently using are about 8 years old and still going strong. I tried those plastic clogs for gardening and the wellie type boots and hated them. The were stiff and uncomfortable. The docksiders are very flexible. Because they're boat shoes and water repellent I just hose them off and let them dry and they're good to go again.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Like Jackie, my older sneakers, and they go in the washing machine when they get seriously dirty.

Like others, I do sometimes go into the garden "just for a moment" in shoes I would rather not have worn there.

Not barefoot. We rarely see them close to the house, but I do live in rattlesnake country.

Rosefolly

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I wear cheap Okabashi sandals in the style that gives the most coverage and with the thickest and softest soles because I hate to have my feet confined in shoes or boots. The soles are thick enough that thorny branches don't pierce them since, like Melissa, I also cut up pruned branches (although only the smaller, leafier pieces) and use them as mulch. The sandals don't last forever but they're fully recyclable.

Ingrid

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Crocs with socks and a Dr Scholl's arch support. Basic for the summer and a winter style (holes on top only) for wet weather. They get bald like old tires and need to be replaced occasionally, but with a new pair traction is comparable to goat feet.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocs

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

If its hot and sunny and I'm just out watering stuff I usually just throw on a pair of crocs flip flops. These last the longest and don't fall apart when they get wet. We live on a small farm and I dont have all my garden paths etc put in yet so lots of uneven ground etc. and these do great for sandals. These are also the ones I wear to the beach and don't fall apart in salt water.

If it is wet and cold or muddy out or I know I am going to be doing some actual digging and planting, then I wear the short bog boots. They are just a little past your ankle and have pull on slots so easy to get on. I can walk through water and mud up to my ankles and don't get my sock wet. The last pair I had, lasted 4 years of continuous abuse and farm work.
    They are rated -40F so keep your feet warm they have tread on the bottom and you can spray them off with the hose. They are double lined and somewhat self sealing from small punctures
    They look like the photo link below..

Here is a link that might be useful: bogs boots

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I"v tried all kinds of shoes and boots and years ago settled on Muckboots casual garden shoe. It's comfortable, lightweight, durable, and waterproof. And they are easy to slip on and off when your hands are full. I like them so much I often just wear them as a regular shoe when I am out running errands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Muckboots casual garden shoe

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

Got mine from Gardener's Suppy. They are gardening shoes in turquoise that are like rubber clogs. Had them for years. They are great. Can easily wash them off. If I don't wear them with socks, they become "fart shoes". They have the habit of making farting noises with every step. I can't believe I told all of you that!

So I wear a pair of old burks if I am not wearing any socks.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

The neighbor swears by his Crocs being the best, I got mom a pair and they were trashed in a couple of months. I think how you garden in these makes a big difference.

Then I got her a pair of Sloggers, the more slip on style than heel covering style, she lives in those and they have held up.

I need a pair of them because no matter how many old pairs of hiking boots or sneakers I leave over there, my "good pair" become a garden pair by accident all the time. I have left a pair of garden shoes in both garden sheds but I am just going to do one little thing so...............

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

I swear by the Muckboots Daily Garden Shoes. They are waterproof and have good traction soles, and slip on and off hands-free. I wear them comfortably year round.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    9 years ago

I'll throw my vote in for muckboots as well. I have two pairs - one low and the other a boot style. I like the boot style better. The best part is that they don't get gravel in the treads, but still have good traction, and mud is easy to wash off. The not-so-good part is that they are very hot in the summer (black in the intense sun), and don't breathe.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

I don't buy shoes to garden in, I retire my oldest Dankso clogs, whichever pair are beginning to look worn, and garden in those. They stay in the garage or mudroom, to be worn with or without socks, always comfortable either way.

That's not to say I haven't stepped out to deadhead something, forgotten what I have on my feet then later left to drive to the grocery store or somewhere. Looking down and realizing you have the most beat up shoes existing on the planet on your feet in a public place is not a good feeling.

If its really, really wet out, I'm in my hip waders. I don't have a waterfront home so it looks a little silly, but I'm down on my knees no matter what kind of project I'm working on - the boots keep me warm and dry both, and I can hose off them off rather than soak and launder stained filthy pant legs.

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago

Wellies, or beat up old trainers. Occasionally I'll deadhead/weed barefoot in summer. And I too have popped out to the shops in my gardening shoes before now, but I'm mostly immune to being mortified by it - once you've caught a packed commuter train while wearing stable gear that you've been in since 5 am, any lesser category of funny looks just bounce off.

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I got the Bogs urban farmers. They are waterproof like a fireman boot . The sole is steel so one can use a shovel. And the top around the ankle is neoprene like a scuba suit so that no water or dirt will splash down in the boot. They are so comfortable.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I just glanced at this and saw "barefoot"! My driveway & garden are not neat enough for that! We have small, hard mostly undeveloped acorns from the big oak trees that hang around for months, gravel which the squirrels dig out of the paths, rotting plums in the Fall, and small red eugenie berries (which stain) all months of the year. The worst of all are barberry thorns - they are like those old things they used in the middle ages on battlefields to cripple horses - three 2+ inch SHARP thorns, set together at angles so that one of them is always pointing UP. My DH stepped on one last month with only rubber sandals on, and had to go to our doctor to get it all of it out of his foot. We sweep those thorns up the moment we see them, but there is an path that actually goes through the huge old barberry. On the other hand, birds love to nest in it - right now there is a blue jay nest in there, and every time I walk by the now large baby blue jays cheep at me.

Jackie

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

I wreck good shoes too, but try to stick to already wrecked shoes. Usually it's a pair of Born lace up shoes that look like two tone bowling shoes. They're light weight, fit me well, have decent traction, and are stiff enough to dig with. Have thought about getting some boots since I have seen a few snakes here including a large copperhead.

I try to stick to already wrecked shirts also, since my shirts frequently get torn by thorns. So I am not a well dressed person on most days. Thinking about getting some overalls which I think would be better than what my pants do while bending over!

• User
    9 years ago

I say I'm going to stop going out to the roses with good shoes on. Yet, I just start out for a few minutes and I now have three pair of shoes right outside the back door that are covered in mud.

Last week I bought some Crocs. I'm hopeful with them sitting right outside the door that I'll remember to change shoes. My husband said I need to put them in the den right inside the door so I have to move them to get out the door.

I love all the examples of different shoes. For me it is not needing the perfect shoe it is about needing to change shoes and not ruining another pair. I'm hopeful the ease of changing shoes with the Crocs will save the good shoes.

• User
    9 years ago

Crocs?,Sandals! BAREFOOT! OMG, this gardener wears stout leather Meindl boots, every day, summer and winter.. One mishandled paving stone, or enthusiastic spade...and it's game over, blood and stuff. I am keen on Kevlar also...

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

I wear sneakers (Asics) most of the time. Some breathe, and when it is cold I wear the leather ones. They have the support that is good for me. When I work on the hill I also wear Wellies. I have had them for years, and they work well. I put a special sole in them for support. The boots come halfway up my leg, and give me good support.

Sammy

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    9 years ago

Barefoot, if it's warm enough. But I also walk the dogs barefoot, take my shoes off at work, and generally reject foot coverings anytime I can. Nothing like grass and dirt in between your toes!

If I am working in a bed that has lots of glass in it (was dug out from under an ancient trash site) I will concede to wear rubber flip flops or sneaks if it's cold.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

"Barefoot" sounds pretty cool, just like pocahontas! :-) My cheap $25 Target hiking boots went-leaking water, they lasted about 3 years. Now in the cold Spring walking in the snow/muddy land, I use hunter's IrishSetter leather boots; when the weather is warmer, I have Columbia's leather hiking boots; in the summer, I use my old gym sneakers. I got hurt on my flip flops before, so have to wear covered shoes walking in the gardens with thousands throns. :-) I also wear a summer straw hat while I am gardening. May be we should have a garden fashion photo thread...... :-) I might get a pair of bee keepers leather gloves for rose gardening.

• porkpal zone 9 Tx
    9 years ago

I'm with Camps on this subject: Blundstone boots for me!

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

This thread is very timely, because most of the time I'm in the garden either barefoot or in my Converse, wishing I had something more suitable. Tonight I ordered some Sloggers. There were other garden shoes suggested here that were also tempting.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

I am usually barefoot or ruining a brand new pair of shoes. I seem to never learn... I have ruined so many shoes in just a few years. I also ruin a lot of clothes so I broke down and bought a gardening vest. I bought a pair of rain boots from the gardening section of target last spring but they didn't even last a season and they just fell apart.

I'd like to get a pair of good rain boots, I've also thought about clogs. I've been good so far wearing an old pair of Toms I've already ruined, but it's only March....

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago
    Here are my " they don't get no respect" Skechers aka garden shoes
  • bossyvossy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My other garden shoes are rubber and they truly keep my feet and socks dry . Bur they are very heavy! On Sunday I wore them all day and at the end spouse commented that it looked like I was carrying cinder blocks on my feet

. Out of curiosity I weighed one shoe and it came at slighted over 1 pound. times 2 that means I am lugging 2 pounds on my feet. That's a lot!

Keep weight in mind when selecting shoes

• User
    9 years ago

All you barefoot gardeners - are you just very careful not to find your toes are now separate from your feet. ..or, do you get someone else (in boots) to do your ferocious digging?

• User
    9 years ago

Ah, ferocious digging is done in boots and long pants. The walking through, plucking a few leaves and dead heading a few here and there and cutting the perfect blooms are always done in whatever shoes happen to be on my feet. Thus the ruin of many shoes. I'm trying to be better about changing shoes but barefoot? Never.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

bossyvossy-
    2 pounds: Think of it as good exercise....

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Camp I do put shoes on when I'm digging :)

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago

If I'm doing something hazardous, like digging or lawnmowing or building stuff, I wear my (steel toecapped) wellies.

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    9 years ago

my husband does most of the very ferocious digging, but I do dig in flip flops. I can't jump up and down on the shovel in bare feet, which is how most of my digging seems to go. Hence why the hubbs does the serious stuff. Small hand spades and mini shovel though? Totally barefoot. Spreading mulch requires the flops because I have to cross gravel to get to the pile. I also mow in flops, but we have a rider.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

My new Sloggers arrived. I really like them. They fit just right when I'm barefoot, which is great for sunny weather. I might order another pair a size larger so I can wear socks in cooler weather. When I was searching for the Sloggers on the web, I ran into this cute photo from The Telegraph's animal photo of the week, August 13, 2010, Australia.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    9 years ago

I just got a pair of Sloggers, since I'm always in the mud. I like them, they don't have that much support, but I was able to put my good insoles inside and that helps. I love that I can just flip them off to go in the house and no tracking dirt inside.

• Holly Webster(7bNC)
    8 years ago

On impulse, I ordered a pair of Wellington shoes (not boots) from I think LLBean. Best gardening shoes ever! They are made the same way Wellies are, only in shoe form, so I can slip them on & off easily. My lot has really uneven ground with treacherous holly roots lurking to topple unwary homeowners. I fell out of clogs and beatup trainers turned into clogs, had them sucked off my feet in mud, etc. These shoe Wellies have never let me down. Rugged, ridged sole, padded around ankle opening so no chaffing, insole comes out to clean & dries quickly and the whole shoe rinses/scrapes clean. I love them so much I could sell them!

• nikthegreek
    8 years ago

Surgeon's clogs. I wear them both in winter (with thick socks) and in the summer, unless it is very muddy (which it seldom is).

Surgeon's Clogs

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

some noname croc look alike that I got in the children's department (yes, I have small feet) on sale for about $2. I love them because they are purple and easy to get off. I just spray them off with the hose when they get dirty. comfortable too.

• tuderte
    8 years ago

After three years of faithful service I've just had to jettison my original 'Blundies' - really great boots which I also wear all through our very hot Summers (because we have vipers). The deciding factor was when the ants started coming in through the soles! Here they are -

and the soles -

Tricia ;-)

• porkpal zone 9 Tx
    8 years ago

Those boots have the new "improved" soles that Blundstone introduced fairly recently. My older boots' uppers wore out before the soles; the last pair ended up looking like yours. I hope my current ones do better! Most comfortable footwear ever!

• Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    8 years ago

Merrill clogs, but I wear them everywhere.

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

I, too, wear cheap croc lookalikes in summer and for winter I have some purple fleece lined clogs which I think are an Avon brand......cheap and cheerful.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

I got a pair cheap croc lookalikes from Target for $9.00! :-)

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    8 years ago

In winter I wear sneakers most of the time.

• roseguy
    8 years ago

Muck Boots, I never thought I would like them. I received a pair of the shoe style for Christmas. Once I tried them I became a convert. I wear the every day when working outside. They are a little on the expensive side, but my feet are always comfortable and dry. I like that they are easy to slip on and off, yet they always stay in place when working.

• lisanti07028
    8 years ago

I wear steel-toed work boots, as we have lots of rocks that I have to deal with. The boots last years and years.

• mariannese
    8 years ago

Ecco walking shoes, rubber clogs with leather uppers or black wellies with a good grip. It's the height of the tick season so I have to wear wellies even now when it's finally warm outside, at least in the wilder part of the garden. I got bitten once and got borrelia, an experience I don't want to repeat.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting