Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bthughes

Texas ebony insect pest

bthughes
9 years ago

I have had an ebony tree for maybe 12 years. It is vigorous and large. About three years ago, the seed pods began to attract an insect that bored holes in the pods. The offspring bore into the seeds. I have seen the juvenile insect -- it looks like a beetle. It has gotten worse every year. I don't see it harming the tree, yet. I want to eliminate this infestation if possible. I like to collect the seeds. And I have potted specimens that I want to plant. I cannot find what I am looking for on the net, so I need real people responses.

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

How about a detailed description in lieu of some pictures? Keep in mind that juvenile beetles don't look anything like adult beetles....so a good description is necessary.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 17:25

• bthughes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, no description, no photo. There are no insects remaining at this time. The pods are all open, and there is not a new crop yet. I am unable to accurately describe the insects I have seen. And ... I said it looks like a beetle. But I am a total non-entymologist, so I want to retract that description. I am hoping another person has had this experience. If I have some possible species to look up, I may find it.

• saccharum
    9 years ago

They are most likely seed beetles - compare the insect you saw to Stator beali or Stator limbatus, which are known to infest Texas ebony seeds.

They won't harm the trees, but I'm not sure whether there is any good method for reducing seed infestation.

• bthughes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, saccharum -- I believe you scored a direct hit. Stator beali is said to use only ebenopsis ebano, which is my tree. I don't recognize the bug in the photos, but I have only viewed what I found in the pods, and some I found still in the seeds. Maybe they develop colors later in life. I am going to assume this is my bug. Many thanks for the response.
    I know you will reply if you find any possible remedies.