SusieQsie_Fla
9 years ago

I went out today with my camera and got these shots of my Companion Plants:
tomatoes I moved to the Rose Garden for more winter sun

{{gwi:2126372}}

Ripening indigo cherries from Silvia
{{gwi:2126373}}

{{gwi:2126374}}

Anybody else got any wintertime garden photos to share?

Susie

Comments (15)

• whgille
    9 years ago

Hi Susie

What a gorgeous looking garden! You have the touch for roses and tomatoes are looking good as companions.

This is the first time that I am growing the Indigo series Blueberry tomatoes, they are supposed to ripe and look red at the bottom, maybe because of the cold it is not happening yet...

I am going to take some pictures today when the sun comes up and I hope others do too, it is always fun to see other gardeners creations.

Silvia

• keiki
    9 years ago

Your roses are beautiful!

This is blooming in my yard now, I call it my snowball tree.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whoa, Robin ! What is that? It doesn't look like the viburnum snowball - - maybe Simpson's Stopper? It looks like it would be very fragrant.

Silvia, have you tasted your indigo cherries yet? Everyone who sees mine wants to know how they taste, but I don't think they are ready to pick just yet. Still green on the bottom.

• keiki
    9 years ago

It's euphorbia leucocephala and yes it is very fragrant.

I look forward to hearing more about your indigo cherry tomato.

• whgille
    9 years ago

Keiki, that is a beautiful tree! and if it smells good even better.

Susie, I have not tried the Indigo cherries yet because they look green on the bottom, if worse comes to worse and they don't ripen for whatever reason I will use them like tomatillos or roasted.:)

I took some pictures of my garden...one is a native dwarf viburnum

{{gwi:2126375}}

I think this is the snowball one

{{gwi:2126376}}

Powderpuff and firespike

{{gwi:2125570}}

Silvia

• gardencraze
    9 years ago

this is my sweet pepper.

• keiki
    9 years ago

Nice powder puff Silvia. I just got a pink one I am trying to find a home for. Do you see much wildlife attracted to it?

Those peppers are adorable.

• whgille
    9 years ago

Thanks Keiki, yes! I see a lot of bees, hummingbirds, butterflies around it. We had a Holiday party and filled vases with the powder puff and firespike and had to be careful picking them.

Carmen, nice peppers!

Silvia

• SusieQsie_Fla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Silvia - I just wanted to comment on your "puff-spike" combination. Brilliant idea!
    I have a customer who has a Powder Puff in the backyard....I'm thinking I will plant one of my Red Firespikes near it and then get some pepper plants like Carmen's to go in front for some extra zing.

Carmen - what is that sweet pepper's name? They are beautiful.

Robin - I just went out and tried to pick an indigo cherry tomato to see if any were ready to taste - but no, they're still hard as rocks. Even though they are pretty much solid black, I guess they should be a little softer than a rock! But I will keep trying and will let ya know.

Susie

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    9 years ago

Susie - The roses and indigo cherry tomatoes make an attractive color combination. I can't believe how dark those tomatoes are. I bet they taste good.

Robin - Wow. What an incredible bloomer! I have never seen a bush like that.

Carmen - That's a real unusual looking pepper especially for a sweet pepper. Looks good.

Silvia - I like the looks of the snowball bush. Is that one cold sensitive?

I took a few pics in the garden recently. Here is a volunteer borage plant inside my carrot patch.

9 years ago

Some red Russian kale and piracicaba broccoli, and some of the Swiss chard patch.

9 years ago

My punishment for not harvesting this TR Hovey papaya in time. An opossum ate most of it last night. I gave the remaining half to my chickens so it didn't go to waste.

Christine

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    9 years ago

Keiki: I just returned from a Caribbean cruise and saw lots of "snowball trees" blooming in Dominica. - June

• gardenfreak
    9 years ago

Looking for some of the TR Hovey papaya seeds. Anyone has some to share. I would like to try starting them indoor in pots. I am in zone 7a and mail order of plants is just not working.

Thanks

• keiki
    9 years ago

Thanks Silvia that is what I was hoping to hear.

Christine your edibles look great!