Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

Have you ever seen a wall oven cabinet done as an accent piece?

laughablemoments
9 years ago

Ever?? DH has an idea of building a cabinet for the wall ovens rather than trying to buy a matching piece to go with our other cabinets. He's thinking it could be painted up as an accent piece to coordinate with the wood cabinets.

Problem is, I can't find an example of this. Has anyone seen this done?

We're already planning to paint the cabs for the island and have a painted hutch. The hood will also be unique. Does this sound like "too many clowns in the kitchen?" I'm not sure of how to pull it off.

Comments (15)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I think so.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"I think so" as in yes, I've seen accent oven cabs, or yes that's too many clowns?

I'm not clear on what you meant, Desertsteph. :P

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Sounds like too many clowns to me, but I am so charmed at your husband's enthusiam and creativity and interest in this. I kinda want you to let him do it.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Why would you want to accent an oven cabinet? That's like putting your microwave on a pedestal with a spotlight on it. Or hanging glass display doors in from of your trash pullout.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Gee, Marcolo, people already make their ranges the "star" with nice hoods and tile behind, and sinks a "star" with gorgeous faucets, so why not make,a cozy home for the source of,cookies and pies?

But to the original question, I think it would depend on the whole kitchen layout, and whether it adds to the rhythm or symmetry or character,more if it clashes. The cabinet for a wall oven isn't that big, though the cavity is; what is your DH planning, laughable?

• User
    9 years ago

I saw it in an old Woodmode cabinet design book. It always looked silly to me - not at all attractive and they did not repeat it in subsequent design books. To me, ovens don't make it as a focal point.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aw, the glass door on the trash pullout was going to be so easy for our guests to find! (Kidding!)

We were thinking of making the oven cab look a bit like a retrofit antique cupboard. It would be at the end of a run of uppers and lowers. It's color would likely be coordinated with the hutch located on the other side of the room.

I agree he is sweet to want to make it.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Highlighting the oven cabinet alone may not be a winner, but accenting all the verticals can work. Did you check out 2LittleFishies' kitchen?

• crl_
    9 years ago

I think if it is a repeated color it could work. I'd probably search for two-toned kitchens on houzz and see if I could find an inspiration photo.

• otterkill
    9 years ago

I replaced a desk with a microwave, oven and warming drawer combo. I stained it to accent the "purple" Bluestar. I felt the worse case scenario would be that I could always paint it white if I didn't like it. The bluestar pic to follow.

This post was edited by otterkill on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 13:56

• otterkill
    9 years ago

Follow up

• User
    9 years ago

There was a kitchen done a couple of years ago from a lady who integrated several different shades of cabinetry. Rhome410, I think was her handle. Yup, I found it via Google.

Note that she didn't attempt to make a "focal point" of the oven stack.

{{gwi:2142722}}

{{gwi:2142723}}

{{gwi:2142724}}

{{gwi:2142725}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhome410's kitchen

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Laughable--I found some custom enclosures for Wolf Ovens that would definitely qualify as feature/ accent pieces. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page at the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom Sub-Zero/ Wolf Enclosures

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, 2littlefishies kitchen is inspiring. The difference I see between what she did and what we're thinking of is that her oven cabinet picks up on the color of the cabinets next to it. For ours, the color would be a stand-alone hue next to wood cabinets. This seems...trickier. I'm hoping balancing it with a same colored hutch on the other side of the room would help.

Looking at houzz for 2 tone kitchens was helpful. Thanks crl.

Nice job on your kitchen, Otterkill. That was a really creative way to repurpose the desk area. : )

Ahh, Rhome's kitchen. Thanks for the reminder of hers, GreenDesigns. I like how her ovens blend with the cabinets adjacent to them. That's a good example of a multi color kitchen.

Wow, cilantro, I didn't know Wolf had their own cabinets. Those are interesting. Some of those are quite fancy!

I searched through David T. Smith kitchen images on Google as well as Smallbone and Plain English looking for inspiration. A lot of the images seem to be protected so that I couldn't put them in my photobucket, so I collected them into a Pinterest board instead, which I've linked below.

There is one in particular that is a combo of maple, cream and green that comes close to the color combos I was thinking of doing. (I wish I could see the other side of the kitchen to know if there's a wall oven hiding over there.)

David T. Smith's designs are interesting, too. But, many of them read somber and sometimes "dirty" to me, as can some of the primitive style decorating. (Prim is live and kickin' in our area.) I happen to like country, and it would be appropriate to our house and location, but I don't want our kitchen to read dark or dirty.

With our kitchen facing north, I also don't want it to feel cavelike. DH's original suggestion was to a black oven cabinet to offset the weight of the black fridge, but...again, that might be too dark. Our cabs have some black lines to shade the shadow lines, so black looks incredible with them, though.

The layout is included on the pinboard. If anyone wants to check it out and share more thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you all for your input!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pin board: Design around wall ovens, multi color kitchens

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are a few from Houzz that I was able to find since I wasn't able to put the pics from google into photobucket to upload here. Any thoughts?

{{gwi:2142726}}

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Morrow Kitchen & Bath Designers The Workshops of David T. Smith

{{gwi:2142727}}

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107)

{{gwi:2142728}}

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by East Anglia Interior Designers & Decorators Bespoke interior solutions