Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annaw_123

White Cabs - Blue Pearl vs. White Kashmir?

annaw_123
9 years ago

We're going to paint 1990s era oak kitchen cabinets white. I'm having a hard time choosing between blue pearl and white kashmir granite. We're repainting the kitchen and will do a tile backsplash so there's no need to match anything in the kitchen. The floors are grayish white tile.

Blue Pearl looks very pretty but I worry that it will be too blue. Can White Kashmir be stained with red wine or spaghetti sauce?

We might put matching granite in the bathrooms and I have a hard time imagining Blue Pearl in a bathroom. What do you think? We were planning on staining the bathroom cabinets dark brown but would change the color to match the granite.

Comments (6)

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Blue Pearl is a gorgeous stone and as bullet proof as they come. It's stunning in a leathered finish!

I also considered Kashmir White so I tested a sample of it and it failed immediately. Within seconds of putting puddles of ketchup, mustard, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, etc, on it, a spreading, dark stain around each sample appeared. I didn't let the stains set for long but it still took quite some time before the dark blotches disappeared.

It's one of the more porous stones so if you get it, know that you will have to be diligent with sealing it, perhaps more regularly than 1x a year. It's a gorgeous stone but get it only if you know its drawbacks.

There are other light granites that are much more stain resistant. My testing showed Bianco Romano to be one of them but I can't say if that's always the case.

• User
    9 years ago

Hello Anna. I also have the 90s kitchen. I had the orange oak and painted them a soft gray and went with a busy granite. Anyway, I love the results. It isn't my dream kitchen but it will hold me over until I redo the entire space. Be sure to post some pics :)

My first thought was go with Kashmir. I too looked at that color. But the staining can be scary and now I'm wondering if Kashmir clashes with light cabinets. I also wouldn't want to pay that much and have to worry about stains. I did some searches and will post pics. The blue granite looks really good with white.

• User
    9 years ago

More blue

Kashmir this sample looks good

Here are white cabinets that appear they were painted and came form the 90s era. Light granite (doesn't look like Kashmir but it looks similar) I don't like this, especially the backsplash....

• User
    9 years ago

Here's my b&a... You can see my granite is dark and busy. If it ever stains I doubt I would notice or care lol

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I have white cabs and blue pearl perimeters. I love the blue pearl. As the poster above said - it is very bullet proof. We have cut on it, set hot pots on it (although I usually use a cutting board and hot pad, my adult children are not so diligent), there is NO staining or etching. After nearly 5 years, I have one little chip in my ogee edge, which I have no idea when or how it happened. And it's not visible - I found it when wiping the counter down and I can feel it (now I can see it since I know where it is). The seams are great and not too noticeable. Our blue pearl is not as blue as some I've seen. I was new to the granite world and just went where my contractor told me to go. I wish mine were blue-er now - it's more gray/black. But I still like it.

Here is my blue pearl before the island was installed.

And here is the blue pearl with the island.