Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

What is the most you will pay for a 3 gallon tree or a shrub?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

I recently brought a 3 gallon Aucuba Japonica "Mr. Goldstrike" shrub at lowes. It was 26.99 plus tax and I thought it was kind of expensive. It is very beautiful and I have never really seen any before. There were not that many so I went ahead and got one. Anyways, this plant was more expensive that the 3.25 gallon trees they carry. I later found out that this needs to be planted in a shady area and I was planning on putting it in full sun. What will happen if I do?

I'm wondering what is people's price limit when it comes to purchasing plants at Lowe's or Home Depot?

Comments (9)

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

Seems like if you plant it in full sun, you will scorch your plant. Those pretty yellow sploches will burn out.

How much will I pay at Lowes or Home Depot? I don't even bother looking unless they are on a good sale or clearance. Big box stores always seem to overcharge for what you get, and I'm leery about the fact that 99% of the time when I've asked where the stock comes from, the employee has no idea. I have the luxury of having a couple of good nurseries in the area though, so I can be a bit pickier about where I get my plants from.

• nmfruit
    9 years ago

How much I am willing to pay depends primarily on availability. I would certainly pay $30 for something I can't readily find, or that I want really badly. That said, I also use the big box stores for the cheapest stuff, and only if it looks good. There are many many really bad deals in their plant departments, and a very few good ones.

For example, I would never buy their 5 gallon potted fruit trees at full price (often around $30) but when they are discounted substantially it is more worth it. Mostly I lay off completely until they have some nice barefoot fruit trees (the same size you would get in a five gallon potted plant) of the right varieties, for about $7 a piece!

I wonder if you'll get some flack for posting a question in this forum that has nothing to do with fruit and orchards!!!

• thepodpiper
    9 years ago

I don't think so, since houzz took over the majority of what you see has nothing to do with gardening. They are shoving all this houzz stuff down our throats.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

I think $29 is reasonable for a tree you want that's in good shape. We just got a replacement Bearrs lime at Walmart for about $15.00. I mainly shop at wholesale nurseries, but you need to live close to some urban sprawl to find those places. There are a couple on Craigslist here and we get really good prices on trees and potting soil there. 3 gallon? They sell 5 gallon only, or the 1 gallon type landscaping plants. 5 gallons are all about $10.00.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had meant for this to actually be in the "Tree" forum but i posted here accidentally. I didn't really feel compeled to remove the post.

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

I purchased Heritage River Birch trees at Lowes a dozen years ago at $40.00 apiece. They are lovely specimens today.

Generally, what you get at a big box store will be a more mature specimen for LESS money, then if you were to purchase the same tree from a nursery (online or not).

Nurseries (online or not) will have a LARGER SELECTION to choose from, while the big box stores will have the basics and, perhaps, a few special items.

Trees have differing values, depending on the species/cultivar, and you need to know the value of what you are buying ... before you buy it.

Lastly, I have found that it is VERY IMPORTANT to take heed of any special requirements listed on purchased plants when planting/positioning them.

If a plant/tree/shrub says that it needs sun, shade, or well-draining soil on the label, ... heeding those instructions can mean the difference between a dead specimen ... and a thriving specimen. Plants aren't nearly so flexible as we desire them to be.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

I paid $70 incl shipping once for somethign rather rare to my area. I have known some tropical tree enthusiasts pay several hundred dollars for some hard to find fruit.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

Last summer I bought a River Birch from Annies for $3.99 in a four inch pot. It is now about 3 feet tall in a five gallon nursery pot. I seldom pay much for a potted plant. Al

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

When we moved to this property there was a Japanese Maple planted in the wrong place with the original price tag on it. $85.00. Wow! It was from Magnolia Nurseries and named Waterfall. It truly is beautiful in spring and summer, but we had to move it. Knowing the price someone paid for it made moving it scary. It survived and we are all happy with it's new spot. I am planning to pay $45.00 for a rare avocado this month. Taking a trip to a special nursery to buy it. It won't be in stock for a week or two. Gladly pay that price.