Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gavinhall

Just bought a house. Need help identifying trees!

gavinhall
9 years ago

Hello all,

I have no real knowledge of tree types and would like to ask if anyone can help identify these types of tree based on these photos. Ive numbered the three I'm trying to identify.

Admittedly these pictures are a lower resolution than id intended so if necessary ill take a few close ups later on of the leaves and trunk.

Thanks in advance to whoever can offer help!

Comments (27)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Right off the bat I see a few specimens of 'Arbus minima-proxima domus'.

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Number 2 and 3 are some kind of pine, closer pics are needed for positive ID. Number 1 is interesting, I'm guessing dawn redwood from the shape but those reddish buds are strange

gavinhall thanked Huggorm
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

need to know where the house is ... zone.. etc ... to get beyond the guesses provided..

as well as pix of the buds.. leaves later... and perhaps the bark ...

is gavin hall the name of your new castle.. lol ...

ken

gavinhall thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The house is in Northern Kentucky. Ill go take some close ups and post them so we can narrow it down. Your feedback is fantastic thank you!

• User
    9 years ago

You should find a local nursery and hire someone to come to your property and tell you exactly what you have and how to properly care for them. You can also get ideas of adding or subtracting from what's there, annuals, perennials etc.

We did this and the experience was invaluable.

GORGEOUS house and property!!

gavinhall thanked User
  • Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

I am going to vote for a maple with good structure for #1.

Metasequoia (dawn redwood) is something you need however! how many trees have that great of a back story and two looks (limbed up formal or fluted trunk) to choose from.

gavinhall thanked Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
  • gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so i went back out and took a load of shots with a close up and full frame of each that id love to know more about. Ill post one by one.

Item 1:

• gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Item 2:

• gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Item 3:

• gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Item 4:

• gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Item 5:

• gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Item 6:

• gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Item 7:

• gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Item 8:

• gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Item 9:

• gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Item 10:

• gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thats everything! Excited to hear what you might think these are, then to follow up and learn all about them and the best way to look after each.

Thanks again in advance.

"You should find a local nursery and hire someone to come to your property and tell you exactly what you have and how to properly care for them. You can also get ideas of adding or subtracting from what's there, annuals, perennials etc."

This is a great tip mimipadv.

• viper114
    9 years ago

4 is a dwarf blue spruce and 7 is a dogwood

gavinhall thanked viper114
  • blakrab Centex
    9 years ago

2 is a Japanese Boxwood...a very generic (yawn), stock, commercial landscaping hedge...

Japanese Boxwood

gavinhall thanked blakrab Centex
  • terrene
    9 years ago

7 is a cultivar of Acer rubrum, not dogwood.

gavinhall thanked terrene
  • bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

The pine near the house looks like a bad case of needlecast -- could be Austrian pine. Hope your other pines aren't the same & may share the same fate.

gavinhall thanked bengz6westmd
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i personally prefer.. one or two IDs per post ... this is too many ...

the blue spruce is Picea pungens.. more properly ... it is a conifer.. and there is a conifer forum... you might try those IDs in that forum ... it could be any one of a dozen named varieties ...

i agree the pine.. #8 ... is on its last legs ... it can be cut to the ground.. and something new planted a few feet over.. it will not resprout from the trunk ... IMHO ... do not give some dude repeated boat payments.. because he claims he has the drug to fix it ...

and i am not sure the other pine.. isnt far behind ...

i dont have time to flip back up thru the rest ...

ken

gavinhall thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • gardener365
    9 years ago

I can help with a lot of them. Going on your close up pics:
    Item 1 Pinus nigra (Austrian pine)
    Item 2 Boxwood (Buxus species) Genus: Buxus
    Item 3 Yew (Taxus species) Genus: Taxus
    Item 4 Dwarf blue spruce (probably: Picea pungens 'Globosa')
    Item 5 Dwarf Chamaecyparis pisifera (probably Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Gold Mop')
    Item 6 No doubt a Dogwood tree
    Item 7 No doubt an Acer rubrum... likely a cultivar/variety/'named form'
    Item 8 Too difficult to say. LIkely another Pinus nigra (Austrian pine with needlecast as said^)
    Item 9 Dwarf Serbian spruce (nut sure of cultivar - but indeed a dwarf Picea omorika)
    Item 10 Dwarf Scot's pine (not sure of cultivar but indeed a dwarf Pinus sylvestris)

Dax

gavinhall thanked gardener365
  • gavinhall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks kindly everyone and yes Ken i wasn't sure if it was too intense to list them all under one post. Next time ill do each one singularly under the right category.

Im going to educate myself on needlecast and perhaps even have someone come look at them. Id be hesitant to start using fungicides without being sure of what I'm doing or its knock on effects.

"i agree the pine.. #8 ... is on its last legs ... it can be cut to the ground.. and something new planted a few feet over.. it will not resprout from the trunk ... IMHO ... do not give some dude repeated boat payments.. because he claims he has the drug to fix it ..."

Sage advice thank you. I would never have been able to assess it this way.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

It's a gonner. Time to remove that tree.

Dax

• viper114
    9 years ago

oh yeah 6 is a dogwood my mistake