Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxannpete

Help! Desperately need ideas for my kitchen eating area!

roxannpete
11 years ago
This room measures 11' 9" x 7"
Wall height under windows is 26" up to bottom of window casing (30" to window seal)
Left wall has door opening in and has top to bottom glass panel
I love the looks of comfy banquet seating, but don't know how that would work!
Also like round table, tried one and seemed awkward. Table & chairs seemed to small for space, but yet any larger & no one can squeeze around each other getting in & out!
And absolutely hate the set up now, not to mention the lighting over head, think its in wrong spot!
Please Help!

Comments (39)

• designideas4me
    11 years ago
    Finding it a bit hard to judge the space from your pics. whats your budget? Do you want to take down walls or just move the furniture around? I dont particularly like the way the couch is facing. what is it facing anyway? I am confused by the space.
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The family room is next to the space, that's why you see the sofa!
    Wanting to get a reeling sectional to replace what I have now. Same leather fabric & color(dark brown)

Thanks for the banquet photo, like design concept. And I would love to move lighting & had no idea how affordable that would be!
    Eventually going to update all lighting and hardware & flooring. Everything is brass & white tile in this 90's built home. Just beginning to start changing things, but its going to be one room at a time. ( slow goes it)
    I think I will post pics and get feed back in my spare time. This is a fabulous site for people like me that don't have a clue!
    So thanks for any feedback, I can really use it!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    oooh! You have a wonder cozy space! My only suggestion here is to get a small round coffee table and put the "red" toss pillow on the brown leather and add a couple toss pillows in a pattern to complement both the red and brown.
    Traditional Family Room · More Info
  • designideas4me
    11 years ago
    looks like a beautiful house. I am sure some designers will help you more tomorrow.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Do you have another dining space? How many do you need to seat on a daily basis? Maybe you don't need a big banquette.
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the great ideas!
    It's just my husband & I on a daily basis & our son occasionally. On the weekends family visit for coffee & that is the gathering hub. Ages ranges from 3 yrs-80 yrs
    :-)
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oops (sorry)
    Yes we have a formal dining room.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    This is what I had in mind...only a straight bench and rectangular table. I think a "farmhouse" style table would add character and charm to your living space.
    Kitchen · More Info

Trish Namm · More Info
  • Jean Tuck
    11 years ago
    I like the one on the right , just needing a plant in the area somwhere in easy reach for watering.
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Would it be wrong to have the door in that room swing out?
    I feel it might really help the flow for furniture & people getting around furniture. I've just always heard a door should open into a room.
  • Jean Tuck
    11 years ago
    I have reason to believe that doors swing in when entering a home from outside so maybe to fire codes or something like that, if inside could be a door that swings both way to ease traffic flow, but thats my thoughts.
  • PRO
    The Creative Man
    11 years ago
    I would like to see a round table myself. It works best in tight spaces and everyone can sit and have a conversation with everyone at the table. If you like the banquet seating , why not try 1 or 2 Wing back chairs. It may ground the round table. The rest of the chairs would be regular chairs. You could try a small buffet style (long narrow table under the window. A new light fixture that is warmer in feeling will also ground the round table.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    If you like the banquette look you can buy the look without doing a custom bench and use your chairs. Or, a "loveseat" bench but use only two chairs.
    Neto Booth · More Info

Dining Room · More Info
  • B Elmore
    11 years ago
    I would like to see a half round table there!

As far as the door swing goes, you would have to check with your county building code. One reason they are not popular is that the hinges are on the outside and can easily be jimmied with a hammer and screwdriver.............other than that, doors that swing out are mandatory for mobile homes and most businesses.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    We install out swing doors when space is tight. There are now hinges that can't be easily removed. The issue is that you need to make sure it doesn't swing around and hit say a light fixture mounted on the exterior wall or something if the wind catches it. We have used exterior wall sconces that are almost flat in these instances. It sure would make moving around in that space much easier. The only drawback is if you want a screen door, that is generally not available to you on an outswing.
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    11 years ago
    By floating most of a padded window bench in combination with 3 or 4 slide under tables you can get double use of the space. And yes the light needs to be moved Led 3" recessed cans would be a better choice.
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Can someone post a photo of a half round table.
    I would like to see one.
    Thanks.
    11 years ago
    Can you turn your table around so it is horizontal? That is the only thing wrong as far as I can see .
  • queeni1951
    11 years ago
    I definitely agree....Turn your table the other way!
  • E Klo
    11 years ago
    Oh I LOVE that space! I think it's perfect for an "L-Shaped" bench that runs under the windows with no back, so the view isn't obstructed. Put throw pillows back there for color, comfort & decor.. and make the 3 year old & other kids climb back there when they come over to visit.. it will be their favorite spot! One chair on the opposite end, and 2 others on opposite the long wall should give you enough space for when it's just you, your husband & your son. Here are a few examples:

[houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/1920s-kitchen-remodel-mediterranean-kitchen-los-angeles-phvw-vp~932990]
    [houzz=]
    [houzz=
    Stannage Avenue Residence · More Info
    ]
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That's how I had it originally.
    The table measures 60" x 42"
    With chairs pushed all the way it becomes 54"
    When rotating table to that position...
    That leaves 30" of space to get around, & when someone is sitting in a chair that leaves 0"
    And there is 401/2" between end of table (with no chairs @ end) and wall/door. So when door opens that will leave 3 1/2" inches to tables end
    My room size is 11'9" x 7' max
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Anyone know cost of putting built-in bench in?
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Maybe just finding a narrower than average table & less bulky chairs.
    Any ideas where to find a very narrow table?
  • gielliott
    11 years ago
    I think you could have a banquette in the right hand corner cuz you have plenty of height under the window--you only need 18 or 19 inches for chair height, and a round pedestal table, then a couple of nicely upholstered fun chairs opposite the banquette wall seating, would look awesome. Change out the light fixture with something fun that you can swag over the table. I would use white painted chairs with a cool fabric on the back since they would be seen from behind, and a nice cushion on the banquette. If it was my house, and I wish it was, I would do the banquette in white to match the wood trim and windows. Would really brighten up that whole area.
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the great advice!
    Still wondering where to find a narrow table, anyone?

Also; looking forward to posting more photos for more great advice.
    The whole house needs done, just hard to know where to begin.
    Again, thanks a bunch!
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Custom Home Planning Center!
    :-)
  • kjdick
    11 years ago
    What about a sette or bench in front of the window? Something like these.
    Kitchen Makeover · More Info

kellydesigns · More Info

Traditional Dining Room · More Info

Great Neighborhood Homes · More Info
  • Zaiton Husin
    11 years ago
    I love to see the space u have, also having an island. If its my kitchen I would place a bench with padded cushions near the windows and the table arranged horizontally. This would give more room space.
  • Jean Tuck
    11 years ago
    I like to see others set ups for their spaces, but chose designs for my upgrade to suit the way my family is most comfortable and with colors we all love. Find it is always best to be who you are in whatever you do.Because I love different things means I am flexible and see good even in others desgns, and hope to be appreciated for my own uniqueness in design, I like to ask for help when seems what I am planning is a bit of a challenge.
  • Sara
    11 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen! I would start by changing the light fixtures to pendant lighting above the island and updating your light over the table too. Some people like accents of color and others like a little more. Depending on your tastes you could add a new wall color in your kitchen or keep it neutral and bring in 3 coordinating colors. Google benjamin moore top selling paint colors and you typically cant go wrong to see others rooms already painted in a shade you had in mind. I would also suggest adding a different table with a settee & some window valances that have coordinating colors and patterns that you like.
  • Sara
    11 years ago
    Sorry forgot to mention that overstock has some very nice light fixtures. That is where I puchase a majority of mine.
  • Allison Delman
    11 years ago
    Have you considered changing your exterior door to a sliding door? That way you can still have a screen door and not worry about the door hitting anything when opening.
  • Eva Tuersley
    11 years ago
    Love your little nook. It seems to cry out for some comfortable seating. Since you already have stools etc for your morning coffee, and a separate dining room, why use a traditional table at all? Why not have a glam love seat, flanked by side tables for your "tea and crumpets". In front could be a large leather footstool doubling as extra seating, or a resting spot for a tray of goodies? My grand kids always love to eat at the coffee table. Easy clean and fun for everyone.
  • roxannpete
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the info and advice to all of you.
    I am going to take some more time to really think about that area.
    I'm still perplexed by it.
    Eva Tuersley:
    I would love to see some ideas, sounds fun & different.
    Would love to see & hear more ideas if anyone's willing to share.
    Thanks
  • PRO
    Impeccable Design & Drapery LLC
    11 years ago
    I think a custom L shaped window seat with custom cushion would look great. You could then possibly use your existing table with it.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I love this loungy/cozy look with the best of both worlds. Corner bench plus table/chairs. I think this one is my favorite for your space. : )
    Lindy Donnelly · More Info