Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dananad

What do you wish or not wish that you did with your pool build?

Dana
9 years ago

We've finally decided to build a pool instead of moving. Now, we of course are in a hurry. So, what do you wish you did that you didn't do? or What did you do that you didn't? What splurges are worth it and what aren't?

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Artful Pools Design and Consulting
    9 years ago

Don't hurry the design process and find a creative designer. Where are you building?

• Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We're in the Tampa Bay area. We already know what shape we want. Pretty simple. Salt system, no cage, Pebble Sheen, Led Lights, just trying to figure how many lights since the rectangle part of the pool is 14 x 28. The shelf and steps will be changed to 8x6' each. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Oh, also having a bubbler in shelf with an umbrella holder, and also 2 more on the sides for V. Ball net.

• Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our PB says one light is enough ( decided on the Pentair over the Hayword after reading about it on here). What do you think with this being a sport pool? I have heard people on here regretting they didn't up the number of lights and followed their PB opinion.

• makingbeacon
    9 years ago

I did 2 led in the pool, 1 led in the spa and 2 in the bubblers. These will be automated on the aqualink one touch control system. I tried to do everything I could as budget permits. :)

• Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You must have a large pool. They said if we wanted accent led's for the step and shelf area it would be an additional $1000 for the 2 accents. Can't justify that. What size is your pool?

• makingbeacon
    9 years ago

It's just 640sqft. :)

Dana thanked makingbeacon
  • Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, mine is just 392 sq ft. and the builder thinks 1 light is enough. It is going to be a sport pool and lighter color, so maybe 1 light is enough. Thanks:)

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

What I did that I'm glad I did: heater, motorized cover, spa. I'm in TX and swim (with a tether) 3-4 times a week all year round -- the heater is necessary for that, and the cover makes it so I can easily blow off debris, open the cover and get right in to swim. Both are pricey additions (the cover particularly), but worth it to me. The spa is something my husband uses more often than the pool itself, so glad to have it.

What I did that I wish I had not -- pricey glass waterline tile -- it looks good from afar, but up close I can see every bubble, fold, etc. of the tile setting material through the tile -- I would use a backed glass tile or other tile material next time.

What I did, but would do different: I'd pay more attention to where I put the spa jets and I'd prefer that they were stronger. I'd put more lights v. less -- but I like a lot of light and we don't have an abundance of other lighting around the pool.

Dana thanked rmsaustin
  • Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I was wanting to oink up on the glass tile but will rethink that. rmsaustin what size is your pool that you wish you had more light? Mine is only 392 sq ft. (14x28)

• PRO
    9 years ago

Add more deck space from house to pool. This is the most common regret.

• Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Artful Pools, Our covered deck is 30 x 14 and the space between deck and pool is 318 sq ft. Do you think we will need more with that?

• Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you:)

• PRO
    9 years ago

I would take a tape measure and a can of spray paint and layout your pool to visualize size and deck space to determine if it is adequate for you. Since the only entertaining area is from house to pool, I would recommend 8 to 10 in this area for furniture and walk space. The minimum is 5 feet, but that is not enough. Mark

Dana thanked Artful Pools Design and Consulting
  • rmsaustin
    9 years ago

Puterputz -- my pool is pretty small (9 x 24 -- 6' x 9' hot tub, 18 x 9' pool). We have two lights in the pool and one in the hot tub. After more thought, perhaps the two lights would be enough, if the lighting around the pool is sufficient for night time use.

Dana thanked rmsaustin
  • Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, Artful, We painted the outline a week ago:) We've even put chairs in our shelf and had some cocktails until our dog did his business in the "pool", then we got out...LOL rmaustin, it looks like we need to put a second light in. Thanks.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

I loved our umbrella holders and tanning shelf. I designed the pool/spa and it was a beauty. Regrets? Hubby is a swimmer, and it wasn't long enough for him to do laps.

Dana thanked Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
  • rmsaustin
    9 years ago

Suzi - your husband might be able to set up a tether to swim in place. I use one called The Riptide which is a tether attached to swim shoes, but there are several types. It is not exactly like swimming laps, (like a treadmiill is not like running outdoors), but a great workout nonetheless. If you google up "riptide swim tether" you should find it

• Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Oh wow! Thank you! We have since moved from the pool I designed to another home with amazing views and a s'pool. It's really small. We got a deal on this property, but the previous owner took the pool heater. We are getting a new heater today, but this pool is tiny. There is a spa under the waterfall in the grotto. I emailed the link to hubby. If it works, he'll love it! He already likes the price :-))

• Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View is to die for!

• PRO
    9 years ago

Super Swim will be the best product for swimming in place. Works like a fishing pole on the deck.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I would not do plaster again. It was so mottled, plus it cracked, that I tore it out after 2 yrs. I have brand new 1 day old pebble sheen and so far, I LOVE it.

I would not use a busy mosaic tile. I replaced mine with simple pool blue midcentury square tiles.

I would not rush the design as stated above. I had a highly qualified landscape architect help me with the remodel and it looks fabulous (I think).

I lengthened my pool to a 60 ft. long lap pool. I am glad that I paid the extra $ for this.

• Dana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It does look beautiful! Great job and thanks for the tip!