Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zacketnala

What would you do to this kitchen except the color of cabinet?

zacketnala
8 years ago

Comments (164)

• User
    8 years ago
    You are very attracted to dark colors with no contrast.
    Your dining chairs would have been a perfect place to bring in some color, contrast and texture, rather than choosing black leather for the upholstery. Any way you can change seats to a beautiful textured fabric in a much lighter color? Try to stay away from brown and black as has been said in this thread over and over, everything is too dark, no contrast or sparkle.
    Your kitchen is so large and beautiful, too bad you are wasting so much time and money on the wrong choices.
    A design professional could really help you complete your space with some minor changes. Please stop replacing things and purchasing things without a good design plan.
    You will save yourself so much$$$$ if you do it correctly this first time.
    If money is an issue, wait until you can afford things, don't try to do it all at once. Design is a process and some things are worth waiting for!
    zacketnala thanked User
  • PRO
    Suttons Bay Ciders
    8 years ago

I would make thse changes in this order from least chaotic to most. 1. The pendants are too big and too many for the small island. Since you like them remove one and center the other. 2. Paint a warmer white on the ceiling. 3. Replace the backsplash with a lighter one. 4. Replace the floor with a lighter color.

zacketnala thanked Suttons Bay Ciders
  • zacketnala
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Taste is a personal choice.I really like my new chairs.I also find that it looks very nice with the floor (that has a lot of contrast)!!.But like I said taste is a personal choice.I don't think I m gonna go for fabric and color but I appreciate your help.I agree for sure for the lack of contrast and the stools the pendants light and also the change of the back splash and counter if I 'dlike to find something that would look nice with the floor. But won't be painting my cabinet .So if you don't like dark stain cabinet well sorry.

• suzyq53
    8 years ago

Your backsplash is what makes the floor work; I wouldn't change it. The tops are fine too. How about changing out the pendants to a color and adding pops of that color everywhere? Even the ceiling?

zacketnala thanked suzyq53
  • User
    8 years ago
    Please don't be defensive. Your question was"what would you change in this kitchen except color of cabinets".
    The cabinets, counters, backsplash, floors, table, chairs, stools, pendants are all brown and black. Every suggestion above has been to lighten things up for some contrast.
    A dark table and chairs is not doing you any favors.
    Fabrics and texture would help a lot.
    If you are not wiling to accept advice, why ask?
    It's your kitchen, do as you wish.
    zacketnala thanked User
  • Rebecca Rakusin
    8 years ago

Id just change the pendants! Something brighter - maybe chrome? If you really wanted to brighten up the kitchen you can even get some of the doors replaced on the top cabinets to glass and put some lighting. You can also just paint the island/change the island counter top to a lighter granite. You don't need to spend too much or change much. Its a gorgeous kitchen just a little dark. :)

zacketnala thanked Rebecca Rakusin
  • Charlene Ambrose
    8 years ago

I see you mention that your island is 57 inches and the space between the pendants is 26 inches? Usually, pendants are spaced more like 30 to 36 inches apart, but your island is too small to do that. I would watch the scale on the new ones you choose. Measure the width of the existing ones and downsize from there. Using glass globes would help make the 26 inch space less noticeable.
    If you decide to go with the multi-pendants, your electrician will have to change out the electrical box. That's no biggie except for patching the drywall and painting. :-)
    You still have to be careful about the size - don't get something that will end up too close to the outer edges of your counter.
    If you have a nice size lighting showroom in your area, I'd suggest you take your picture over there, ask them for help with the size - and help with determining the amount of light you need. Do you want them to help illuminate the kitchen (clear) or just light the counter (metal) and how diffuse do you want the light on the counter to be (determined by the shape you choose).
    Just my 2 cents!

zacketnala thanked Charlene Ambrose
  • Eileen Ritchie
    8 years ago

A couple of crystal chandeliers would brighten this lovely kitchen. Also paint the walls white, and I would change the backsplash to a white one or to a white opaque glass. Have some white covers sewn for the stools

zacketnala thanked Eileen Ritchie
  • zacketnala
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well thank you Charlene Ambrose for your help so much needed !! I think it's my biggest dilemma! I always find it looks a bit odd .I 'm looking for multiple pendants because just two that close one to each other and smaller.Not so sure.Thank again!

• suzyq53
    8 years ago

We're gutting the kitchen in a new house. We're putting in a L-shaped island that includes a table area that seats six. My designer suggests five 5" wide pendants 16" apart to go over the table area.

• suzyq53
    8 years ago

I got 5 of these lights.

• lucidos
    8 years ago

So what I did was erased your lamps. (first image in case someone wants to use it - I'll be away for a month)

Then added a single, double and triple light for you to get perspective. This kitchen has a very masculine - industrial vibe and I selected lamps that were in keeping with that.

zacketnala thanked lucidos
  • zacketnala
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So grateful for all that you've done!!!!Thank you! It helps a lot to SEE clean slate.I really like the two pendants and the effect of milky glass.I saw beautiful hemp stools today and others in linen color and texture like .Wow! with all the help I'm getting there!!! Thank you!

• kristinanadreau
    8 years ago

I agree with Sandy C. I would slash my wrists if I had to work in this dark, heavy morose place. There is no point in asking if you are unwilling to hear the answers. Clearly, you are not willing to make any changes that will lighten the space. Keep it all as it is and the next owner will tear it all out.

• zacketnala
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow !! I'm speechless... really! Don't know what to say. May be not to take it so personal .Well hope you feel better sorry!

• User
    8 years ago
    Kristinanandreau, well, that was hateful, unfunny, and a truly stupid thing to say. On Memorial Day many are grieving not just our warriors lost in battle, but those lost to suicide as well, along with countless others who have lost loved ones in just the way you propose. It is a kitchen! OP asked nicely for advice, is getting advice and is trying those ideas that appeal to her. Time for you to put on your big girl panties, and grow up. Design Dilemma is about the posters and not about how f*#king witty you think you are.
    zacketnala thanked User
  • wayno16
    8 years ago

Yikes, kristinanadreau! Now, I generally want to slash my wrists on a daily basis, regardless of my work environment; but I don't think this kitchen would push me there. All this talk about dark and drab, but both the floor and backsplash look like multi-color slate. There are not many materials that are more alive, colorful and non-drab that. Now, I've made suggestions above to lighten things up by going with a lighter wood-grain (porcelain) floor, and there certainly can be some accessorizing to brighten things up, such as cool pendants that add color. Or painting just the island a contrasting color. Remember, though, all we see are little photos. When you are standing in the midst of all that colorful slate, it may be far from drab or monochromatic. So put the scalpel away.

zacketnala thanked wayno16
  • lucidos
    8 years ago

Kristina I forgive you, you apparently need forgiveness.

• Maine Susan
    8 years ago

Kirstin... was rather rude IMHO and you didn't ask about cabinet color... actually you said no to changing it.

Don't be speechless... we ask for help and people give it and we decide what to use and what to discard. Most posters understand that and it seemed to me all is OK here. It's called a discussion!!!

I think the room is rather heavy n dark too but it's not my house. Also... We don't see it in natural light or with all the lights on, you seem to have pot lights everywhere... this is just one picture... can't see the rest of the area. It's your house and a great kitchen overall. It seems to me you are taking in lots of info and trying to make use of it...

zacketnala thanked Maine Susan
  • lucidos
    8 years ago

If the decorating gods had their way all kitchens would look like this...

I personally applaud anyone for their expression individuality.

Vive la différence!

We are all herd animals who does not own this outfit!

• Charlene Ambrose
    8 years ago

Oh my! Ignore the drama. Just take the information that you find helpful and work from there. If you find a multi-pendant fixture you like, maybe someone can put it in Lucidos's clean image for you. (Wish I knew how to do that!). I like the idea of the multi-pendants. Search on....

zacketnala thanked Charlene Ambrose
  • arsteranka
    8 years ago

I did not read all the comments. Above and below cabinet lighting!

zacketnala thanked arsteranka
  • User
    8 years ago
    Zacketnala, I think it is a great kitchen, the lighting will make all the difference in the world. Removing or replacing the bar stools might make a big difference, as well.

Don't paint a thing...under-cabinet lighting is a great idea, if you could manage it. Your pendant ideas were very good. My own kitchen has darker cabinets and over my island, I actually have two small chandeliers with a dimmer switch.

Ignore the grouchiness earlier, and forgive us please!
    zacketnala thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago
    http://www.framburg.com/products_indv.aspx?Category=Application&Item=Pendants&Family=Carcassonne+(3)&ItemNum=2915

This manufacturer makes very nice fixtures and you can choose from a range of metal finishes...
    zacketnala thanked User
  • Mary Nigro
    8 years ago
    Yikes ! Just read some of these comments. Really, many people would LOVE to wake up to that rich warm kitchen. It was all done high end. Imagine a coffee shop like this, great place for espresso! Quite frankly I don't think it needs much of anything. It was just that you asked :) I think if you changed the pendants to polished nickel or chrome it will be surprising the change just that will make. Personally I would keep your stools . I think they are cool. Many, many years before anyone in there right mind would rip any of this out! I envision myself at the end of the day here as well, a nice glass of wine in hand.
    zacketnala thanked Mary Nigro
  • PRO
    Frederick Allen Interiors
    8 years ago
    pendant lights need to be cream color glass (lighter in scale). Task lighting under upper cabinets. I would use a counter dept refrigerator freezer. would come off with a much cleaner look. The accessories in kitchen are not really placed. it looks from the one picture. some what cluttered around sink. I can't really tell from the picture. the flooring looks dark and has a lot going on . I would use a lighter floor. to make
    the ebony cabinetry pop
    zacketnala thanked Frederick Allen Interiors
  • zacketnala
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You're dog is so cute!

• sewpro
    8 years ago

When I saw your post, it reminded me so much of my kitchen I couldn't help but take pictures to show you some ideas. After reading some of the posts, I don't think a lot of people will like my kitchen so much; thinking it is dark as well. But we get plenty of light and red is my favorite color and I find it invigorating. Besides, I understand that red is supposed to stimulate your appetite (as if I need any stimulation in that regard). If anyone does like it, it is BM Exotic Red. The counters are Uba Tuba granite, the floors are red oak. One design idea I came up with is for the pantry. We had a "closet" pantry, e.g. just a normal closet, like a coat closet, that had four static shelves. Being short, I couldn't reach the shelves and I had to search for things that had been pushed to the back. So when we remodeled the kitchen I asked my husband to take out the return on the closet and build a "box" that we could put sliding shelves into. He did that and we ordered custom cabinet doors to match the others in the kitchen and put them on the box front. It has been so successful! I can reach everything and pretty much see where things are in a hurry. Also, we have white plantation shutters on all our windows. They have provided great insulation and, unlike fabric, they do not rot from sun exposure.

zacketnala thanked sewpro
  • sewpro
    8 years ago

I see, I need to post pictures in reverse order.

zacketnala thanked sewpro
  • lucidos
    8 years ago

Sewpro It all depends on where the cursor is how the images upload. You have a great kitchen and the little extras make it perfect. What I like particularly is the basket weave backsplash - it really makes your kitchen .

• User
    8 years ago
    Your kitchen is lovely. Unlike the OPs kitchen, you have a light backsplash, light pendants, lighter floor, lighter table and chairs. Lots more contrast, nicely done.
  • PRO
    Kaneal Staging and Design
    8 years ago

A lighter back splash stripe. Don't redo the whole back splash just add a stripe of light reflective mosaic going across the middle. Keep the tile as is where the range is located. And add lighter rugs like in lucidos post. Maybe even spray paint the light fixtures or remove them and use undermounts. If you love dark cabinets go for it. They are easier to keep clean. I don't favor cookie cutter white cabinets.

zacketnala thanked Kaneal Staging and Design
  • suezbell
    8 years ago

The room, including the ceiling color, works well, as is, for someone that likes dark cabinets.

Those who don't like dark cabinets will suggest changes that likely will not work well with dark cabinets.

The one thing you might consider changing is the light fixture in order to add more light to the room as a practical matter -- with the bonus that it adds a touch of color to the room. IF you opt to change out the light, consider a singe long/rectangle shaped one with stained glass -- the kind usually found hanging over an upscale billiard table in a room with a more masculine style -- a which is often a darker room,

If you're actually wanting to decorate a bit, consider finding some art, perhaps trivets or soft sculpture "pot holders" - perhaps dark wine red or burgundy color -- that would fit on the side of the cabinets at the window.

zacketnala thanked suezbell
  • Saddie Sadaf Sayed
    8 years ago
    Hey with those dark colored cabinets i would definitely go with lighter color back splash and a lighter color countertop...to enhance the black cabinets. A very light delicate pendant light with a light weight bar stools will surely change the look of the kitchen.
    zacketnala thanked Saddie Sadaf Sayed
  • Saddie Sadaf Sayed
    8 years ago
    And dont know ur budget...but may be changing flooring will help big time, like a wood flooring.
    zacketnala thanked Saddie Sadaf Sayed
  • jeannethebeanie
    8 years ago
    Zach have you made any changes to kitchen, or any plans to do so?
    zacketnala thanked jeannethebeanie
  • zacketnala
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No change yet !

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Seeing other posts about painting the cabinets -- something that I understood was not an option you wanted to consider; follow your own instincts.

If you ever do decide YOU want a color change, you could consider painting only the base of the island.

zacketnala thanked suezbell
  • zacketnala
    Original Author
    8 years ago

About a crystal linear chandelier and more confortable stools?

• poochiek
    8 years ago
    A nice glass option?
    zacketnala thanked poochiek
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

I do like the pendant light fitting shown above by Pooshiek but you could go even lighter. This thread is so long, forgive me if I am repeating anything someone else suggested. My first thoughts are "there is no contrast, too much dark on dark". I love the back splash but it does nothing for the kitchen. If you changed that tiling to something like the herringbone white and the lights and bar stools to brushed nickel, brushed chrome or white, I believe that you will have done enough to achieve a transformation. The current light fittings are too big for the island. Three smaller ones would look much better.

zacketnala thanked TheFurnitureCollection
  • zacketnala
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Would 3 of these be a good idea?

• User
    8 years ago
    I think you need bigger fixtures, to give off more light.
    zacketnala thanked User
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 years ago

I ditto that.

zacketnala thanked TheFurnitureCollection
  • Stella DF
    8 years ago

keep the cabinets, unless you really hate them, use a lighter back splash, change the stools and the two lights.

zacketnala thanked Stella DF
  • zacketnala
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love this one a lot but it's 13 1/2 inches large.

• User
    8 years ago
    I think you need more sparkle and bling in your pendants.That is nice, but dark brown. How about some polished chrome or nickel pendants,as suggested at the top of this post.
    zacketnala thanked User
  • Stella DF
    8 years ago

I agree with SandyC.

zacketnala thanked Stella DF
  • User
    8 years ago

Paint walls above cabinets a warm, very light brown; then swap out the black hood above stove for a stainless stel one to reflect more light; paint the backsplash same very light brown as walls because it is too busy and dark; the lighter, solid color will reflect more light and give the area a sense of more space.

zacketnala thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago
    Hi Dawn, this post was started in May. All great advice has been given to lighten the room. I believe the OP is now ready to switch out the pendants, not sure if any other advice has been taken.