Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prettybluehouse

Ideas for a kitchen desk area?

prettybluehouse
8 years ago

My house has an kitchen desk area and I'm not sure what to do with it. None of us will ever need to sit there and use it as a desk. We've been in the house a few weeks now and the desk has become a dumping ground for phones, homework, pencils and mail. It also holds the cat's bowls so the dog doesn't eat her food.

I could find other homes for these things if I could find a way to better use that space. It's 40 inches of counter in kitchen with very little a counter space, so I'm frustrated every time I look at it. We hope to remodel the kitchen next year, so whatever I do will be temporary.

It's a bit too awkwardly placed for a coffee area - the sink is on the other side and around an island. We don't need a bar area. I googled and didn't come up with any other ideas. You guys are wildly creative, can you help?

Comments (18)

• mustangs81
    8 years ago

I use my kitchen desk numerous times a day. I have large screen all-in-one computer on the desk. With that I can pull up recipes, enlarge the print and see it from my prep area and cook stations. Also where I can check in on the GardernWeb, pay bills on-line, keep my house diary, make shopping lists, etc.
    Can't function without the PC as I would have to leave the kitchen and living area and go to the PC in the den.
    I know that's not very creative but it's centrally located to allow me access to daily tasks that require a PC.

• lana_roma
    8 years ago

Off the top of my head:

- A roll-out container or cart under the desk like storage for dry pet food in bags, a tea cart or a roll-out container to store Costco-sized bags of rice, flour, sugar or whatever food staples you use on a daily basis;

- A bookshelf on top of the desk for cookbooks, magazines, etc. My local Craigslist has plenty of small shelves and stands made of this kind of oak, typically $10-$40 a piece. You could put in baskets to store mail, bills, etc. in a more organized way;

- Your cat's personal space on the desk: food bowl, water bowl, a soft bed, a cat house, etc;

- A wine cooler either on the desk or under it;

- A small fridge with snacks & drinks so the kid(s) won't get in your way when you're busy in the kitchen; could be under the desk or on the desk;

- If your kid(s) like(s) microwaveable snacks (my DS is fond of Hot Pockets), then a small microwave on the desk and a fridge under it.

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    8 years ago

There used to be a quote at the top of this forum about decorating for how you live, not how you wished you live, or something like that. I remind myself of that often. With that advice in mind, I would use that desk space as it is functioning now, but I would drastically clear it of all extra stuff. I would remove the plant, put the scissors/pens/etc in a drawer and remove the holders, consolidate the kitty dishes to one given area devoted to kitty dishes, put the books/cookbooks elsewhere, and then make a charging area using a power strip that can sit on the desk top and plug into the wall outlet. This would minimize the cords coming down the wall, providing less visual clutter as the desk area is viewed from across the room. Get a couple of pretty fun baskets to catch the things that are dropped on the desktop and you are in business. You can even cut a hole in the bottom of a basket for the power strip cord and make that your charging station, holding the power strip and chargeables. This doesn't provide a new function, but with clear counter space, you may find your self using it for other things, too.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Random thoughts:

A mail sorting station

Wine storage

Kid art area

Lunch packing station

• jlc712
    8 years ago

I'd probably put something like this on the wall to organize all the stuff, and put the cookbooks and cat bowls elsewhere.

Wall Organization 7 Piece System · More Info

Then I'd use the counter space for things that are taking up space on your other counters, and free up that space. I don't know what you have, but stuff like a microwave, Kitchenaid mixer, bread box, toaster, knife block, etc. You could fill in the knee hole with deep shelves, and put baskets on the shelves to corral more stuff. If there's an electrical outlet under the desk, it's a good spot for a drink/snack/wine fridge.

• Bethpen
    8 years ago

I use mine as a coffee station, it is annoying to walk around the island to get water, but kind of nice when we entertain for keeping the coffee out of the way. I wish I could do the kitchen over, but for now it stays!

• User
    8 years ago

When we moved into our home, I would have loved to have a centralized spot to keep the magnitude of information and samples I collected for all the different projects we were planning. That spot would work nicely for something like that.

• MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

You've only been in the house a few weeks plus you plan on remodeling in a year. Don't force it. Organize it a little better then let it be. In the meantime, you can get a better feel for the whole kitchen and how it functions so your remodel will be spot on.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a similar set up. In my kitchen, the oven is in the cabinetry to the right of the desk so I tend to use the desk as a place to set down pans from the oven or stage items ready to go into the oven. For parties, I set the area up as the drinks station. The rest of the time, I have a charging station, note pad and pens on top.

I would love to raise the desk area to counter height and add cabinets and a warming drawer below.

• prettybluehouse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, I'm picking up what (most of) you are putting down. I neatened it up. I consolidated. I went through the kids' pencil jars and found things that haven't been seen in years. Why were we holding on to a pencil that was 1/2" long? Or a single, ancient brown crayon? I don't know. It looks better and I'm going to try to find a cheap and cheerful version of what jlc712 suggested. Anniecat, I read your response and like a bratty kid, thought, "I don't want to move the cookbooks!!!" I practically stomped my foot. And then I moved them. It's so much better. And besides, who am I kidding? I never use them. Lukkirish, all my samples live in a shoe box. Super classy, right? It would nice to have a place for them. I think they can go in a drawer. MagdalenaLee, you are right, I shouldn't try to force it.

Thank you all for your great replies and ideas. I also neatened the kitty bowls. We're ditching the radio for something else soon. The drawers are getting cleaned out and organized. I'll get a power strip and something to hold the electronics.

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    8 years ago

Prettyblue, good job! I had a similar area that I fought for almost a year. I wanted it to be something else, something beautiful and original and awesome, but it was, in fact, my keys/charging/laptop spot with a dose of grandkid artwork. I finally gave in and organized it and pared down the contents. It is one of my favorite spaces now. And I'm relieved that I'm not fighting a losing battle.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

I would probably move the cat bowls to the smaller, higher counter--- where your cookbooks used to be! the cat doesn't need all that space:)

unfortunately, every desk I've had in a kitchen has been a dumping area... but I also always used that area for a desk with laptop/computer. frequently going through the stuff to keep it from growing is best! for me, there always seems to be one area in the kitchen that becomes a dumping area-- at least the desk is usually a bit out of the way!!

• dancingqueengw
    8 years ago

I raised mine up and put a wine refrigerator in the knee space. I was able to keep the granite and just raise it up. The cabinet guy refaced the front with the drawers and gave me two deeper drawers. I kept the file drawer. If you email me I can send a photo. Don't know how to link a photo to this site. I LOVE what I did and would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Do you have younger children? I'd make that a baking area for kids...although I do like Jlc's picture :)

• jayciem520
    3 years ago

I bought a grow lite to fit the space on the desk surface and grow herbs. Under the desk..have used the space for sm dog kennel, then used it for feeding area for sm-med dog. out of the way and bowls dont get kicked accidentally.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

It would be a great place to sit down to do some more time consuming tasks that don't require you to stand and move around. I'd be rolling spring or summer rolls, stuffing grape leaves, stuffing dumplings or pierogies, rolling sushi rolls, making Mexican tamales there.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

Hmmm, just realized I responded to a really old thread! But yeah, I would do what I indicated, had I a kitchen desk!