Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

picture placement above couch

User
8 years ago

Would this square shaped artwork instead of rectangular shape look right on the wall behind the couch? excuse that the green tape is a bit crooked.

Comments (10)

• User
    8 years ago

I think using something rectangular would end up being too small, without adding additional art above, because of the light switch. I like that the size of that photo draws the eye up and fills the upper wall portion better.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks misformink, that area under the couch has a bulkhead as part of the ceiling as it is in the basement. I glad you mentioned draws the eye up because that is what I am trying to do. The height of the ceiling there is 8 feet while the rest of the room is 9 feet. I was unsure about the shape of the picture because everything I have seen on line shows a rectangular shape above the couch.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

I think the square would look fine, but the photo of the pic makes it look more rectangular than square...

I would try to center the art and the couch on the ceiling molding if it isn't already... can't tell, but looks alittle too far right- may be camera angle.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks busy, the picture is 41 x 41, the green tape is a bit off, I justed wanted to get a feel for how the square shape might look. There is a floor to ceiling fireplace across from the couch, that is what we centered the couch to.

• awm03
    8 years ago

If the tape is accurate, the proportions look good. I think busybee3 is right about centering with the ceiling molding, even if that means removing the little table. Great picture & frame, roseabbey, where'd you find it?

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks awm, I bought that a few years back at a store called pots and plants.

Looking at the picture only it would make sense to center according to that wall , but once inside the room, it would be really awkward if the sofa was not centered to the fireplace which is on the opposite side.

• User
    8 years ago

The arrangement is off somehow. I would move the sofa fsrther to the left and put the end table on the right side, then center the artwork on the sofa. The whole thing looks a but cattywampus at the moment.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

just a couple of inches left would help it look better- don't like the couch squished against the molding either...

centering on the molding directly above will be more obvious than across the room-- except if you're sitting directly in the center of the couch. but the distance gives a different perspective depending on where you're standing and it won't look perfectly centered on fireplace from most places in the room anyway...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Can you center the sofa under the moulding? Here is your image and then with the sofa moved to the left and the print mounted above it. The three items have to be lined up for this to work.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You guys are right again, I was able to move it over to center. Because there is a lazy boy recliner in the corner there beside the little table, I didnt think I could do it without it interference with the reclining of the chair but it worked out., Thanks so much.

Beverly thanks for photoshopping, makes me 100% sure I want that picture there.