Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobra8888

My tomatoes are getting brown patches on them.

cobra8888
8 years ago

My tomatoes have developed brown patches on its leaves and I am not sure what I should do. I have attached a couple images.

Please advise!

Comments (14)

• jean001a
    8 years ago

Drought stress - ran short of water ad/or sudden hot and/or dry and/or windy weather.

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

I'm wondering if you are watering using a spray type garden hose?

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

Yeah, like I said on your cucumber thread, we really need more information.

Dave

• cobra8888
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry, the same story holds for the tomatoes as for the cukes. I moved them all outside at the same time and water them at the same time also. I will check for the answers to your questions and reply. I don not use a spray type garden hose but the last couple of days I did spray on a baking soda solution to try and stop any mildew spread. What else might I do? Should I use a fungicide?

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

Mildews don't normally attack tomato plants. It can of course but it isn't common. And unfortunately many of the homemade concoctions folks try end up doing more damage than good. For example, what recipe of baking soda spray did you use?

Have you checked these plants closely for pests, especially the underside of the leaves? Look for aphids and spider mites. And again, where these plants well hardened off before planting out? Some of that could be environmental damage from sun and wind if they weren't.

Dave

• cobra8888
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I used 2 tablespoons in one gallon of water. The plants were not hardened but were pretty small to start and have grown a lot since. They were out a good 3 weeks or so before this problem appeared. Again, this applies to both the cukes and the tomatoes.

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

I didn't see the cuke story so this info is helpful. Not knowing where you are located I will ask if it has rained at all wherever you are.

• cobra8888
    Original Author
    8 years ago

gumy_ct - I live in southern NH. It was very dry all of May and then it rained for 3 days to start June.

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

Yes, and if you got the storms we did it sure poured down. The next question then is did these spots show up after the rains?

• jean001a
    8 years ago

Umm. Drought stress.
    Notice that the light-colored spots are between the veins. In other words, farthest away from the water source: veins.

• cobra8888
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would say that the spots did show up after the rains. I am used to seeing leaves start to wilt when they are thirsty which I did not see so that it why I did not think of drought stress.

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

If your plants are wilting they are past thirsty and indeed are stressing. I'm gonna guess there is no mulch under the plants and during the winds 'n rains soil was splashed up on the leaves.

Did I miss where you told us how you water? And how often?

• cobra8888
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I use a hand bucket of water from a rain barrel and pour it on the ground, not on the plant. I do it every 2 or 3 days depending upon rainfall (which has been minimal). I haven't seen any wilting, I only mention it because that is my barometer for a plant that is very thirsty - I have not seen spotting as an indicator before.

You are correct that there was no mulch under the plants, I added some a few days ago.

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

I also use rainwater and posted this before...

Here is a link (2005) to how I water my garden ...
    Deep watering for heavy feeders growing on upright trellises

I should add the nowadays I also use those rather large plastic pots
    you get when you buy large plants - fill about half-way with leaves and
    compost (just enuff so the water just ooozes out the pot holes) then
    dump in rain water from a 5 gal bucket. So the nutrients leak out of the
    pot with the water.

This keeps the plant leaves from getting wet when sprayed from above
    and allows the water to soak deeply in one area and not be wicked away
    by the hot summer air.

At times I will add coffee grounds to these pots too. Also anything
    so the water leaks out slowly and soaks in deeply close to the
    bucket/pot.