Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivian_2010

Is this HVX or Nematodes damage to my Sum & Substance?

I have it for 4 years and it has been healthy and big until this year. Initially I thought it was from frost damage. But the new leaves also started to develop the symptoms. I know what I need to do if it is HVX but how about nematodes? Should I just dug out and disinfect the area? Thank you!

Comments (12)

• koffman99
    8 years ago

I am definitely not an expert but it doesn't look like HVX to me, as the damage is being done in between the veins, which can be a symptom of nematode activity.

If it is Foliar Nematodes they say you can splash a little water on one of the leaves and look with a loupe of magnifying lens and be able to see the long thread like creatures.

If you do find out it is nematodes I would remove all root material from the vacated hole and pour boiling water into it several times. Leave it vacant and uncovered for a while as I hear sunlight also kills nematodes as well.

Hope you find out it is neither, Good Luck !

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    8 years ago

I agree with Bkay. This spring we had two heavy frosts immediately followed by a very hot day. I have a number of hostas displaying some scorching marks. It is a bit too early for foliar nematodes to rear its ugly head...usually nearer end July, August in my zone 5. I had my first episode of it last year in August/September.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

thank you. I am doing the water test for nematodes. Hopefully it is nothing to worry about.

• glosgarden
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Not nematodes....I have been digging up nem plants all day...:(

Looks like frost damage or maybe sunburn....

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you. I started the water test a couple hours ago (with a shallow glass plate). So far under magnifying glass, I have not observed any nematodes. I am so happy.

• koffman99
    8 years ago

Good News Vivian.

• bkay2000
    8 years ago

Glos, did you read about Nemakill? It's in the last issue of the hosta journal. I have one infected plant. It's in a pot, so I've moved it to the front yard, away from my other hosta and I'm going to experiment with this product. It isn't sold here, just in the upper midwest. The mfg. said they would sell me a bottle. I have to call back this next week to make the arrangements.

bk

• in ny zone5
    8 years ago

I agree that this is sun and not-enough-water damage. This is not HVX or nematodes.

I just have that on a hosta with white tissue which just got worn through by the sun. I must have missed watering it during our May drought.

• glosgarden
    8 years ago

Bkay, I have read the article....wasn't sure if it was available to us yet. I would love to have the info! Did you google to get it or what?

I have tried just about everything I've ever heard of....(not the cooking...just seems like to much trouble) the best results...though not 100% I have gotten is to put potted hostas in hot full sun, water very little and just let them bake a year or two. Solberg said if you stress the hosta you stress the nem. They look bad but never lost one. Then the 3rd spring if they don't show signs I put them, still in pots, out under a tree away from the nem free plants. They can grow and be pretty but I don't trust them enough to put back in regular beds.

I have been hoping someone would eventually come up with something that will really work. MAYBE this is it!

Sorry about your plant...nems are the pits...

• bkay2000
    8 years ago

I called at about 4:00 PM Friday (my time), which is 5:00PM in Indianapolis. I have the lady's name and phone number to call back this week. I googled Nemakill and called the 800 number listed on that page.

I think I understand that since they don't have a distributor in Texas, they will sell it directly to me. It may also have to do with some other reason, but which ever reason, they said they would sell to me. but Friday at 5:00 was not a good time. So, I got the lady's direct number and said I'd call back this week.

I'll get the particulars and report.

bk

• glosgarden
    8 years ago

Thanks a bunch.... crossing fingers....