Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samsonb64

Need help with Master Bedroom plan!

samsonb64
11 years ago
i would like to add a door to be able to go directly to the bathroom from the master bedroom! Any suggestion!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Plan Design Decorate
    11 years ago
    Is that a stand up shower to the left of the toilet? You're definitely going to have to give up some closet space and do some major plumbing work as well to get a door in there
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Looks like the plumbing of the shower, commode and bath have you pretty well locked out of direct access to the bath. If you eliminate the neo-angle shower and do a tub shower combination, you could conceivably get a door behind the bedroom entry door. But very tight on space...maybe a 2' wide entry to the bath at best.
  • hwilliamson
    11 years ago
    Does this bathroom serve the second bedroom too?
  • samsonb64
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The house is not built yet, i can change the plan but i have to respect the dimenssion.
  • samsonb64
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We will have a second bathroom downstairs.
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    If you give up the current door and access ONLY from your bedroom, then you can probably reconfigure everything. Are you willing to give up that door?
  • samsonb64
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I do not really want to give up the bathroom door because if we get visitors I do not want them to go through my bedroom and I do not want to tell them to go downstairs either!
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    HI -- I think your room size is too small to do that . Your either going to have to lose the length of the vanity or lose the shower , and or lose closet space or square footage from the bedroom, and are you willing to do that ? Talk to an architect and see if some reworking can be done or can you pick another floor plan ?
  • PRO
    Leaf Design Studio
    11 years ago
    I am a drafter/interior designer and it looks to me that you would have to do a lot of re-arranging of space including plumbing which could be very expensive and probably not worth having a door going into your bathroom
  • samsonb64
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The house is not built yet! I thought I would be able to redesign the plan before we start construction.
  • samsonb64
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Actually, we reworked the bathroom and the walk in and if you flip the walk in into the space where the shower currently is and move the toilet, there is sufficient space to move the shower by the tub and have a separate entrance from the master. However my wife feels that by doing that the space will be to crowded?
  • wmpj
    11 years ago
    Can you add another bathroom on that level so that guests can use one bath and this one will be your master bath?
  • PRO
    Plan Design Decorate
    11 years ago
    After looking at it again, I was going to suggest what you just mentioned; but something will have to give - like maybe a smaller vanity or moving the closet into the bedroom along one of the walls
  • suesiewert
    11 years ago
    I would rework the whole closet bath layout. You can have a closet at the far end of the bathroom so you essentially go through the bathroom to access it. That might sound awkward to some, as it did to me at first, but I have a closet off my bath and it actually works quite well for getting ready for the day ...to not have to keep going in and out of the bathroom to the bedroom to get clothing.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Trying to have two doors is going to take so much of your space up.

Is changing plans an option? This floor plan gives no privacy to someone from the master bedroom using the bath. And to add another door takes up so much space. And there is so much wasted space in the foyer area between all the rooms.

Sorry, if this is too blunt. But if you can change horses in the middle of this stream, I would!
  • hwilliamson
    11 years ago
    the whole plan seems a little back to front. sorry to be blunt. is there any reason why the second bedroom has an amazing angled bay window but the main bedroom seems relatively a bit boring.

Could you swap bed one and bed two over and move the whole bathroom / cupboard unit up into what was bed one to make much larger bedroom to the front to make use of the feature bay window? you could then replan the bathroom with two doors and clothes cupboard to be much more simple.

also i prob wouldn't put the main bedroom next to the living room for privacy.

also, the area given to your garage is bigger than any of the rooms on the plan. worth reconsidering???
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Ok, what if the front bedroom becomes the Master. The front door moves to the top of the two foyer stairs. The area that the front door is now stays covered and protected, but is basically a nice covered porch for guests.

The foyer closet and front bedroom closet become one for the new master bedroom.

The whole "walk in" closet that is shown in the bath is eliminated to give more space for reconfigure the bath layout. The bath is moved down slightly towards the back of the home. A small rectangular closet is added to the back bedroom.

There is room now for an additional regular closet in the Master bedroom, along the bathroom wall, with still having room for a door into the bath. Master will now have a his and her closet setup.