Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickima

What's wrong with this squash?

vickima
8 years ago

I guess it's a goner now. I just can't figure out why it went downhill. It is costata romanesco which I started myself and have grown every year. Last year I grew onions in that bed. It looks like some sort of mineral deficiency but I have 12 raised beds in the same area and haven't had similar problems. Maybe it's *too* much of something, but what? They were planted out the end of May. The curling brown edges started a week or so ago, and in desperation I added a little 10-10-10 before a heavy rain. After the heavy rain I foliar sprayed with weak fish emulsion. Nothing in the planting hole but earthworm castings and some azomite.

Here's a photo of the other squash in that bed

Comments (19)

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

I'm not going to say for sure, but you said that you foliar sprayed... It's odd that if you treated both plants the same that the leaves of one are worse than the other... but the damage is so isolated to the leaves that I can't help thinking that the problem was with the spray.

Is it possible that the spray bottle had something else in it before the fish emulsion?

Also, I'm growing the same variety, and I wouldn't call it a 'goner', it's a very vigorous zucchini!

• vickima
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I rinsed out the bottle before I sprayed so I don't think that's the problem. Also the brown edges were there before I sprayed; they just accelerated. I hope they do come back, but they've been heading downhill for several weeks. We've had lots of rain but as you can see they are in a bed with solar mulch so I don't think they are drowning.

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

Oh, and this is obvious I suppose, before you plant anything in that bed... maybe a soil test?

• vickima
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That is a handy pdf, thanks. I did have a soil test and made some amendments this spring but they were light. Azomite is a mineral but is supposed to be slow acting and I've read it's impossible to use too much (although I used much less that bag recommendations). It's a mystery. Seems like there's one every year. :)

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

Could that black plastic be cooking the roots?

• vickima
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nope, it's solar mulch from Johnny's. I've used it for years with great success.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

Just a thought. :)

• vickima
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It was a good thought, Peter. I've been wondering if it's too hot or too cold, too wet or too dry, but I can see my how other plants in other beds are reacting, and so I don't think that's it. I'm inclined to think it's the amendments that I added this spring - some sulfate of potash and a bit of sulfur - but they were in such small quantities it's hard to believe they'd do this much damage . . . and I added them to all the beds and most other plants are doing well. Squash usually grows like gangbusters this time of year.

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

vickima(z5 MA) said:
    "I rinsed out the bottle before I sprayed..."

Exactly what was in this bottle before you rinsed it?

• vickima
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A weak solution with spinosad

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    8 years ago

You could have over fertilized it with all that stuff you put on it.

• vickima
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I didn't think I added all that much, but I'm inclined to agree that it's probably over-fertilization, perhaps too much phosphorus. I've looked online for similar symptoms in squash leaves and haven't been able to find anything.

• Tobey Green
    8 years ago

Do you have squash bugs?

• vickima
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No squash bugs . . . yet.

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

The yellowing and crispy leaf edges in the second pic look like classic nitrogen burn to me.

Dave

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

Thanks for that link rgreen!

I have 5 crookneck plants. Four took off and one remained the same size for about a month. The leaves looked similar to yours and appeared to be almost 'petrified'. New buds that never grew/opened, almost as if it was a plastic plant. It was not my soil as I dropped in an eggplant that is doing just fine. I was speaking with a horticulturalist and they said that sometimes a plant just doesn't take for some reason. Not the most scientific of explanations, but I suppose it could be apropos at times.

• vickima
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jim's, your suggestion is my favorite so far which I paraphrase as "sometimes a plant just doesn't grow." But in my case I suspect it *is* the soil. I planted a couple more squash seeds there; curious to see what they do.

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

Let us know what happens.