Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annehau

What is missing here? What should I put on walls? WOW FACTOR!

annehau
11 years ago
This is my dining room area which joins my living room. I'm going to replace the lighting (stil undecided with what). But for now concerned about what to put up on the walls? Should I just go with a standard dining room mirror option. I feel like its so overdone. Anything that is a WOW factor?

Comments (52)

• Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Are you keeping the rug?
  • PRO
    The Creative Man
    11 years ago
    Try a new rug, the existing is too small for the dining set, which is very attractive. A some narrow table or book case would help the wall that the rocking chair is on. Add some accents and a great tapestry above.
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    good morning
    first I would opt to remove the rug. It's far too small for the table and chairs and give the room an odd look with a square on a rectanglar rug....no rug is better than the wrong rug
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The rug is sorta fighting with the table too in re: style...Pic shows similar table, plain floor..This could help, then start adding in accessories
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    your detailing is very traditional for the contemporary furniture. I would add a strong color ......i think to the walls. then likely use 5 piece of framed art, three on one wall and two on the shorter wall.....of a series of same size and type art. IE: photos in black and white
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    Jayme solid rug good idea, might consider a wall to wall carpet piece that would be bound.....and Janyme is correct, you need to get the major items in the space correct before attempting to 'finish it off'
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Different ideas: not sure if the one would be too grey/what is the style of the rest of the room we cannot see? I see another pattened rug in other area/wouldn't add another pattern in that case.
  • PRO
    Grace Archives
    11 years ago
    Gallery walls are a classic, yet modern look. I've got tons of vintage art prints that would look great mingled in with your family photos.

www.GraceArchives.etsy.com
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    not the answer for everyone!! lol
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    You don't want two styles in an open area, it won't look right....
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    i'd suggest a solid rug! maybe with three shades of color ....and a contemporary hanging fixture....actually the fixture should be the first thing to change after removing the rug....get the major items correct.....the rest should wait.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Agreed Gary, and with open plan...the other areas come into play. I was also wondering about the paint and if it matches the chair at all?
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    what about an image of the adjoining space??? any to be had?
  • okibujp
    11 years ago
    Good morning. I love your dining set and wall color. It looks like a mix between contemporary and traditional. Have fun with it! Replace the rug with a larger and more colorful one. Pick up some of the colors from the rug to coordinate artwork. A large mirror hung above a buffet and a few accessories! The rocker could use another home:)
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    Hi hillaryu & everyone!

Completely agree w/others - a new rug + new chandelier would be the first things to do.

Any chance you could upload a picture of your living area? Since your home is so open, you will want to somewhat coordinate, though not match. Oh, wait - I see Gary asked for that.

I saw you have some other threads w/some other rooms - any of those rooms open to this one? It looks live you have this dining room + a breakfast nook off the kitchen - is that right? Can you also see the breakfast nook from this dining area?

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    if you dont like a light rug, simple contemporary, think of a strong rug .....not a small pattern with two or three light tones.....your table is heavy and bold, an important statement on the floor is key....either simple and bold or colorful and bold
  • Jeffery Rost
    11 years ago
    wondering if a large zebra print rug would work with your other spaces, as it would in this room from all I see
  • sspitler01
    11 years ago
    Agree, different rug.

I would also encourage you to not rush into art purchases- and if you can afford a few hundred dollars, invest in an emerging artist. The room is kind of a blank slate ( once the rug is gone) and would look great without too much going on, and one large colorful abstract ( or whatever you're into) canvas painting. If you live near an art school, a lot of times you can walk through the students' studios, just leave a nice note and they will be thrilled to sell most of the time. Or check out etsy, or just do some googling :)

You'll know what piece is for you, once you see it!
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I know I say this way to often but buy good original art. A fine oil or acrylic painting will make your room. It will add your personality to the space. Shop local galleries and artists. If you can't find it there check out Etsy.com and ebay.
  • kingslane
    11 years ago
    I would love to see a larger rug under the table. A large piece of art..painting would pull it together
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    11 years ago
    Larger rug - Uber large unframed contemporary abstract art piece on canvas for something unexpected and dynamic. If you have the appetite or budget, have a picture light above the art work or a track with spots to shine down right on the art work for more drama. Big dramatic pendant light or chandelier - something really special. Go for big focal points, not lots of little things with this space. I don't have an issue with the style of the rug, just the size.
  • curacaoblue
    11 years ago
    Dinning set is too modern for the rug, lighting, rocker, and flowers. I like it but you have 2 competing styles. Personally I'd keep the table and lose everything else. I'd put art on both walls and go with a modern light fixture and carpet.
  • PRO
    Committed Photography, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Simple black and white photography would work great in this dining space. Here are just a few examples below. Everything is made to measure allowing you to choose the framing, matboard, image size, etc. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/677

http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/456

http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/970
  • Christine W
    10 years ago
    The rocker and the rug need to be moved or eliminated from the space. Also if you are going to replace the rug then go bigger. I think a thin profile bufffet on the wall facing the picture taker would be nice with some tall and elaborate silver candelabras and a large round mirror. On the "rocker wall" I would do a collection of prints maybe 9 or 12 hung symmetrically. Then you could put up a new chandelier (larger and more in keeping with the dining set style) and drop it lower to give the dinner guests a more intimate feel.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Agree a new rug a must first. Then art work and of course a new fixture. Need to pick rug before adding artwork. Gorgeous dining room table and chairs.
  • PRO
    Artistic Wall Murals
    10 years ago
    It's such a pretty room, love at it's elevated. I think a classy wall mural would look amazing in your space.
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    A wow factor would be a somewhat contemporary oil painting nearly as large as the wall. It should have some colors -- that speak to you. One statement piece
  • catladynbadams
    10 years ago
    Another idea for something large to hang on a wall is a wall tapestry. I enjoy mine.
  • home548
    10 years ago
    How big should a rug be in relation to the size of the table and chairs?
  • sunshinegirl3
    10 years ago
    A different larger rug would be lovely and removing he rocking chair. It seems really out of place. I'm not reading the above so I hope I'm not repeating myself. Some colour would be fabolouse. Maybe a hand painted mural.
  • resident
    10 years ago
    Agree, the set is competing with the traditional pieces surrounding... including the rug. Personally, I'd lose the rug. It's not necessary and because of the step-down, the pattern of the flooring, already defines that space (which is what the rug's purpose is really - to keep the furniture looking like it's 'floating'). I'd change the fixture to rectangular and more transitional instyle. If that's not in your budge, the spray paint the brass and switch out the shades to ones more angular. I can see a Mid Century or Modern 'bar/tea cart replacing the rocker.
  • PRO
    WelcomeHome staging & decorating, LLC
    9 years ago
    I am thinking, get a more contemporary rug, with bright colors, then use it to determine art colors. I would put a large mirror on left wall with a narrow side table, and on back wall, a large piece of art to compliment the rug. Take out the rocker. And then add a pretty vase of flowers on table, or a collections of three diff size colored vases to match colors in center of table.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I actually agree with ArtisticHomeowner.com on wall mural idea
    here is an idea of how it can look in a room (pic 1)
    another thing you can do is add a lot of custom maid mirror stripes on both walls (pic2)
  • PRO
    Jana Donohoe Designs
    9 years ago
    The first place my eye goes is the rug. It's fighting the space, not working with it. If you like the feel of the rug in your dining room you need a square one much bigger than current size. The chandelier should be changed out to something a little more transitional, perhaps slightly bigger as well. A nice oversized piece of artwork would really bring this space together since you mentioned that you did not really want to do a mirror.
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I wonder how the room turned out ......
    It's always nice when you get updates ..
    On old posts ...
  • PRO
    The Ekstrom Group
    9 years ago
    Would love to see no rug, a larger chandelier and well proportioned wall art on the two large walls.
  • nononanna
    9 years ago
    Color and texture. And a little personalization.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    DEAD THREAD - poster last responded Jan 28, 2013
  • cassbert
    9 years ago
    I think a dining room has to have a console of some sort. With your space it would probably work well to do a long narrow one or even two. You already mentioned a lighting fixture and that you like an elegant look. As you can see from comments, the dining set works and I think it will look really beautiful if you decide you want to go elegant. I recommend a bigger, glass or crystal, not to girly, more modern, rectangular light fixture on a dimmer switch. Since it is open you will have to consider the other rooms, but dining rooms can be moody, you may want to add some dark color, like a cabernet red.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Dead thread, started a year ago and 2nd to last post was in September.
  • Julia Hale
    9 years ago
    What have you done? Your table and chairs are beautiful and not a lot of room to add more furniture. I think I would add some decor shelves and place art and collectible dish on them. (Maybe family pieces)
  • PRO
    Mzhottie
    9 years ago
    I would say maybe a new chandelier get rid of the rug it's taking away from the dining set . Put either a mirror or art work on your wall take the flowers use as a center piece and the rocker if you have a den put it in there with a cushion for the bottom .if you must have a rug it should be bigger and may with the same color scheme as your set or a solid color
  • PRO
    One World Construction
    9 years ago
    Try taking out the rug , add console table and some art on the walls great for conversation starters !!!!
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Old post.
  • bevballew
    9 years ago
    Dead thread
  • sheilaskb
    9 years ago

I agree that you need much larger rug, and it should be three feet wider/longer than the table on each side so that chairs can be moved out on the rug while people are seating themselves. With all the plain colors in the room, I would suggest a patterned rug and perhaps curtains in a bold satin stripe. The flowers are a bit small, and I would replace them with a tall, leafy potted plant. You do not like mirrors over a buffet, but you might get tall, narrow framed mirrors that match and display one on each side of the corner to play up the "corner" setting of your dining room. I do not know what your preferences are for color, but you might paint the area below the chair rail a color that offers some contrast from the higher wall, whether you choose something lighter, brighter, or darker to achieve an effect you like. It does seem that a china cabinet on one wall and a credenza on the other wall would complete the look of the room.

• rocketjcat
    9 years ago

Hello people, it's an old post from 2013. Don't waste your time.