Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnygurl

Chopping bark for Gritty Mix

bunnygurl
8 years ago

I posted this over on the Container Gardening forum a few days ago and got no hit so I'm curious to see if someone over here has any suggestions. I don't have any fancy tools like a mulching lawnmower or things like that.

So after years of learning, contemplating and getting up the courage to attempt the gritty mix about a week or so ago I spent a day and a half searching the city for the materials I could use. I was having the hardest problem finding suitable sized bark. Alas I didn't find any (Reptibark is way too expensive here for what I would get versus how many plants I have) so I got the next best thing ("small" chips that aren't really that small and definitely not fines) remembering someone mentioning they use a blender to chop up their bark to a suitable size. Score. I have a blender. Sold. I made enough to switch over about 10 or so plants (I'm massively pregnant so I exhaust quickly).

Problem:

I attempted to make more today and I killed it...I killed the blender...the plastic attachments that hook into the blades and make them spin melted right off...I'm really frustrated and I don't want to have to buy a new blender every week 'cause they keep melting. If a blender can crush ice why can't it handle a little bit of bark which if I can rip in half with my bare hands is obviously softer?

So my question after my rant which felt pretty good:

Does anyone have any suggestions of a blender brand that won't melt or of something else entirely I can use to chop up the bark? I understand that I can remove bark from the gritty mix entirely but I have a massive bag of it and after spending so much time searching for bark it's going to be a big kick in the pants if I have to stare at it in my shed forever useless and wasting away. I hate waste.

Any and all help is much appreciated. I'm running out of time to get this done which makes it even more frustrating.

Comments (21)

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

Have you heard of Orchiata New Zealand bark?

They have bark in several sizes including "fine"

I would not recommend blending up wood in your blender.

Here is a link

Fine Bark Chips

bunnygurl thanked tlbean2004
  • tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

For the last 10-12 years, I've been lucky to have prescreened fir bark available in a perfect size, but my source has dried up and I won't pay what the next nearest supplier wants (4X what I was paying), so I'll soon be screening pine bark again. The bark I use for 5:1:1 is well suited for the gritty mix after a quick screen. Hopefully, you'll eventually stumble on a good source of pine bark - that's usually how you find it. I've never had to 'grind' my bark, but I'm wondering if one of the old fashion clamp on hand grinders would work for small batches? They come with several blade inserts ..... My mom used them to grind stuff for chili sauce and for processing wild game (mostly venison) into burger. Where do you live, BG?

Al

bunnygurl thanked tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
  • bunnygurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

tlbean2004 - I had never heard of that brand before. It looks really good but I'm concerned about the bag size. I've got a fair few plants to do....the massive bag I found was $8. Suppose the price doesn't matter if I can't use it. Suppose I can see if my neighbours need any bark to mulch their gardens or something. Thanks for the link. Ya know I never thought to look online.

Al - I am in Alberta, Canada. Thanks for the input.

• bunnygurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I found some bark mulch that is 3/8" in size. Is this suitable? It says on the website spruce and pine. I don't know if that means they're mixed together or if they have both kinds available. Is spruce a no-no?

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

I dont know...... but i'm worried that the "bark mulch" will decinigrate faster than if you brought bark chips. Mulch is used for landscaping purposed and it needs to be replinished every year or two. The bark that i linked you to is good stuff and i have personally brought it and like it. They have many different sizes of it available and in different quantities. It is also specially treated and can last for over 10-20 years.

Good luck on your search.

bunnygurl thanked tlbean2004
    8 years ago

I've never used spruce bark before, so I can't tell you how well it would/wouldn't likely work. Pine in 1/8-3/8 is ok for gritty, and dust to 3/8 is perfect for the 5:1:1 mix. How about a link to the site?

Al

• bunnygurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

http://www.barkmulchdepot.ca/detail.php?id=102

If I'm going to order from them I'd better be committed. They only sell in bulk minimum 1/2 cubic yard. I don't really know how much that is but it sounds substantial.

tlbean2004 - I really like the link you sent me and the bark looks great but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere here and to order it online would end up being about $40 a bag with shipping. I've got quite a few plants to do and several pretty big ones so I'm concerned it would end up costing me too much in the end. Normally wouldn't be a problem but I'm on disability right now and the paycheck has taken quite a hit. I really appreciate all your help though. If I end up finding it anywhere here I will definitely snap it up immediately.

Al - Thank you for your help. I could be your guinea pig with the spruce. I know it's not good for animals but plants essentially aren't animals so I'm clueless.

• bunnygurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Haha. You're making me laugh too hard over here, however I actually DID do it. I thought I was being a genius. Apparently genius is in the eye of the beholder.

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

Sounded like a good idea when I read it until the blender broke!!! LOL. Ive had many genius ideas that went horribly wrong!!!

bunnygurl thanked jamilalshaw26
  • bunnygurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good news my fellow gritty friends. I have found zee bark fines!

The only downside is that the bags are so small. 3 litres for $9. I bought 6 bags for now and I will continue the search for larger bags but you have no idea the excitement that is swarming my being at this moment. I found these at the last garden centre in my city and it is now my absolute favorite garden centre in the city (however it is also the farthest from me) not only because they have fines but because they are busting at the seams with amazing plants. A lady who works there asked if I needed a cart as I was carrying 6 bags of bark fines in a basket and juggling three plants in my hands. I said no I need to leave before I buy the whole store............she thought I was joking...if I had a cart, it would have been mayhem on a massive scale. Alas anyone who lives in Calgary, Alberta, these can be found at Green Gate Garden Centre on McLeod Trail SE.

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to help figure out my bark problem. Always much appreciated! Happy growing!

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

Yayyy!!! Now you can preserve your blender LOL

bunnygurl thanked jamilalshaw26
  • bunnygurl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I need to purchase a new one before I can preserve it... >_< I found one I want but it's $110...I thought it was a good buy (it doesn't just have one blade at the bottom, it has 3 going up the whole thing) but the husband looked at me like I was insane so I didn't buy it.........yet...he'll screw up something sooner than later and then I will get my blender.

8 years ago

Persistence is an admirable quality ..... and so is enthusiasm. You have both, which makes me extra glad you found your bark. You'd be surprised at how growers practically trip over each other in the effort to help other growers who exhibit those qualities. Keep us posted and let us know if you think there is anything else you need help with. Hava good weekend!

Al

• meowsers
    6 years ago

I’ve been making my own pine bark fines from bark I collected in the forest from fallen trees. It was a pain in the derrière to get it down to the right size, but I did it and finished repotting my plant. I will definitely consider purchasing from Green Gate next time. I want to repot my other houseplants too. Thanks for the info! The store in the North doesn’t carry that. You’d think we’d be able to find all kinds of bark where we live!

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

bunnygirl, I'm glad you found something you can use, even if it's pricey!

BTW, Amazon's US site sells 26.4 liters (6 gallons) of Reptibark for $14.50 with free shipping for Prime members, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than what you've found unless the Canadian site's price or shipping for non-Prime members is too high. It doesn't have a lot of fines, but you might make up for that with extra peat, but--

Al--does that sound right? I've seen people posting about using reptibark for 5:1:1, but most Amazon reviews say it's usually well screened, which made me wonder, and I'd hate to steer bunnygirl wrong!

6 years ago

I think you're right to consider there are essentially no sub-1/8" fines in the prescreened fir bark, like there would be in most pine bark products. I think the answer to that fact lies in an understanding of the concept behind the soils, which is essentially based on the use of a high % of chunky material, with only enough fine material to provide water retention enough to satisfy the grower. With a little experience, we'll be able to look at the bark fraction, and decide how much peat and perlite is appropriate. In the end, we want to be certain we don't add enough peat to go beyond the threshold point, so all of the large air spaces between the chunky material are full of fines.

I can temper what I said by adding, as we move toward formulations that are less and less water retention, it's easier to keep the plant appeased than the grower. A plant can be perfectly happy if growing in a medium that actually requires watering twice per day, perhaps even happier than in a medium that actually needs watering every two days. The grower might not be as impressed as the plant in a soil that requires watering twice daily, but it's important to also realize that increasing water retention beyond a certain point is a limiting arrangement. Perched water is limiting, so the more there is of it, the greater the loss of potential. Being familiar with the concept that governs water retention puts the grower in control of that relationship between water retention and limitations. IOW, you get to decide how much potential you're willing to sacrifice for extended intervals between waterings.

Al

• Pete
    6 years ago

Non-prime members just have to spend $25 to get free shipping. I think that's the size of Reptibark I bought at a local Petco if I'm not mistaken. Its good stuff but a little big. I know its not practical for most, but I just take a side cutter pliers and halve the bigger pieces when I'm potting something.

Two asides: 1, at Petco the online price is lower than the store price, but you can price match with the online site (slightly crazy), and 2, another poster in another thread I can't recall commented that the Reptibark in smaller bags was smaller size.

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    6 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Pete! Even the small bags of Reptibark are cheaper online than the orchid bark I bought at $4 for six quarts, so that could save me some precious dollars.

• Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago

Is it wrong that I have eyed my blender inappropriately for various gardening needs too. Hilarious.

• Sam WWard
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing this! I've been scouring all of Calgary and had almost resigned myself to buying a spruce pine mulch similar to what you described. Greengate is also my favourite store but I hadn't noticed they sold that fir bark. Can't wait to head there and pick some up!