Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkkpearls

Roses & My Love - Hate relationship for them...

pinkkpearls
8 years ago

I absolutely adore roses, who doesn't. I was having a gay old time until they all started turning brown and losing leaves. I was told I'm watering too much, not enough, not fertilizing enough, don't use fertilizer. I realize I have no idea what I am doing anymore and am just at a loss. I was trying to observe the roses to see when to water, when to fertilize and I guess I was doing that wrong. I did down like 5 inches and it's hard and dry, I'd assume that means water. However, I got hit with the maybe its not draining. I was also told maybe my roses are sitting in water bc of my soil. I have clay in z8b, I dug down 2 feet or more and wide and added tons of compost and even ground up the hard clay into more of a fine clay, so I thought it drained well. How do I know if my roses are sitting in water under the surface??? I am just so frustrated bc I want to grow roses, but can't seem to get when to feed, when to water, how much to water, etc.

Figuring it out for myself has not worked too well, I might let them die and call it a day.

I have:

Betty White

Apricot Candy

Intrigue

Tiffany

Sterling Silver

Fiji

The Shepherdess

Blue Rhapsody

2 Don Juan (1 has issues)

2 Knockouts (no problems)

Iceberg Standard

Carefree Wonder

Rouletti (mini)

Cafe Ole (mini)

Comments (19)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I see you live in Texas... I'll let someone from your area answer your questions since I'm in a cooler rainy climate which is much different.

But I did want to say hang in there and hopefully you get things figured out...

It should not be dry 5 inches deep into your soil... Needs water

Just wondering when you say you added tons of compost... How much compost did you put into your planting 2x2x2 hole compared to the amount of your native soil that you added..??? Like did you add 1/2 compost 1/2 clay soil amounts? Or more compost than clay soil? Thanks

pinkkpearls thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    8 years ago

I agree that they need water if they are dry that close to the surface. Please don't give up on them. Growing roses is a learning experience.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    8 years ago

Roses can be frustrating and there is a lot to learn. The best part about your mistakes is that you will learn from them! You have a wonderful resource here, there are so many wise and kind people here willing to give you advice.

I will leave advise to the experts & to people in your area but I just wanted to say don't get discouraged!

• pinkkpearls
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa. - I used half native soil and half compost - was told not to add more compost than soil. Was that wrong??? I also added about 2 cups of worm castings. I figured they were dry, but how do I know if they are sitting in water below the rose?? Should I dig them up???

I want to grow them and don't want to give up, but not sure what to do at this point either. I will try deeply watering each rose for this week to see if they show signs of relief. Also, is there a such thing as too much watering??? As one of my roses someone told me I watered it too much.

Lastly, I'm afraid of fertilizer, the liquid and the granules, can I just use compost each time??

8 years ago

Do you know anyone local who gardens/roses that you can get advice from? Hopefully someone from Texas will chime in here...

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

I agree with everyone and Jim ... try and find others who grow roses in your area and maybe contact your nearest rose society?

The weather has been very up and down all over, so this year might be a weird year in general.

I have killed my share of roses due to being uninformed, overexcited, neglectful, etc but am committed to growing them because the blooms give me so much pleasure. It helps that I am part of a rose society so I can ask my millions of questions, I have friends who grow roses so we can commiserate and celebrate together, and I have forums like these that allow me to learn anything and everything about growth.

pinkkpearls thanked msdorkgirl
  • kittymoonbeam
    8 years ago

Ok this is my far away advice so you can see what you think of it.

I would dig a hole in the area that the rose lives that isn't doing so well and put water in it and see if the soil drains at all. If not, dig down and see if your roses are standing in soggy soil and roots are dying off. Maybe you dig down and its as dry as the desert. Either way you know what's going on water wise. You need soil that stays nice and moist but isn't soggy all the time. You need soil that isn't just wet in the first few inches and dry down at 10-12 or more inches. Don't try and feed anything until you get the understanding of what is going on water wise in your soil. If it's too dry, make a ring around the plant with soil or rock or something to hold water in and also put some mulch on top to help hold moisture in. If its too wet you will have to alter how much you water or else plant in a raised up area or rework the area you planted in so it doesn't act like a pool of water that constantly sits on the roots.

If you can find someone growing roses close by that's easiest of all because they already probably worked out what's the best thing to do in your climate and soil situation.

I'd dig them out and put them in pots before letting them die. The potting soil acts differently than garden soil and as the roots get back to normal the plants will start making leaves and then flowers. Sometimes it takes a few tries.

pinkkpearls thanked kittymoonbeam
  • parker25mv
    8 years ago

In hot dry climates roses need consistent watering (that does not mean a lot of water) to thrive. That is probably the best advice I can give you. Try to water every 2-3 days.

You might also look into the rose varieties which are considered drought tolerant, they are more apt to do well in your climate that can experience high temperatures.

• jkellydallas
    8 years ago

It's hot right now. I mean REALLY hot. Water.

pinkkpearls thanked jkellydallas
  • jerijen
    8 years ago

PinkPearls -- ARE you in Texas???

If you are in TX, here is a list of ARS rose societies in TX. Pick the ones that are closest to your location, and ask them. (If you are NOT in TX, Google "Local ARS Rose Societies in *.*" and try one of them.)

Texas:

Austin RS
    Austin
    TX
    Joseph Baiocchi
    jbaiocchi[at]sbcglobal[dot]net
    (512)350.8903

Bastrop County RS
    Taylor
    TX
    Vernon Harris
    vernharris[at]earthlink[dot]net
    (512)281.3104

S. Central
    Collin County RS
    Plano
    TX
    Claude Graves
    claude[dot]graves[at]att[dot]net
    (972)989.5708

S. Central
    Corpus Christi RS
    Crophus Christi
    TX
    Gaynell Torgerson
    gaynelltorgerson[at]gmail[dot]com
    (361)224.2326

S. Central
    Dallas RS
    Rowlett
    TX
    Debra Bagley
    dlbo319[at]msn[dot]com
    (972)431.5459

S. Central
    El Paso RS
    El Paso
    TX
    Prestene Dehrkoop
    presdehr[at]elp[dot]rr[dot]com
    (915)751.3631

Pacific Southwest
    Fort Worth RS
    Crowley
    TX
    Connie Taylor
    gargate[at]aol[dot]com
    (817)478.1643

S. Central
    Golden Triangle RS
    Orange
    TX
    Clyde Davis
    clydedavis[at]att[dot]net (409)988.8661

S. Central
    Houston RS
    Houston
    TX
    Mary Fulgham
    mfulgham1[at]att[dot]net
    (713)668.4054
    (713)294.0351

S. Central
    Lakes Area RS
    Kirbyville
    TX
    Carolyn Horn
    crlynhorn[at]hotmail[dot]com
    (409)420.0432

S. Central
    Red River RS
    Gordonville
    TX
    Sandra Haynes
    Shaynes[at]solbroadband[dot]com
    (210)601.1066
    (210)861.1066

S. Central
    San Antonio RS
    San Antonio
    TX
    Margaret Ware
    wmware[at]swbell[dot]net
    (210)698.8440

S. Central
    Waco RS
    Waco
    TX
    Eddie Anderson
    ed[dot]ander[at]mygrande[dot]net (254)744.2018
    (254)776.9716

• jkellydallas
    8 years ago

When it's 100+ degrees every day, water, It was 106 today in Dallas. Most of my blooms are puny, and the big ones are crispy very shortly after opening. Water.

Water water water.

It sounds like you dug great holes and gave them a good soil foundation. Water.

pinkkpearls thanked jkellydallas
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago

I would also make sure that you have mulch down by the roses as well. That will hold in the moisture and help to keep the rose roots cool.

• zippity1
    8 years ago

i really think kittymoonbeam offered great advice i too live in texas, south of houston, and have really really compacted gumbo soil although i have roses my casualties in my new garden (new house) have been citrus which i overwatered by letting the hose drip overnight on two plants our gumbo holds water so the water never went away from the roots of the plants they say to never dig holes and fill with "good soil" here because you'd be providing a container holding water for the plant and it would drown so our instructions are to plant much like you described however the roses i have are in big pots now so i can control moisture and soil much better i'm planning to build large raised beds for all my roses as soon as it gets a bit cooler and yes these beds will not be as attractive as i'd like and will cost a lot, but i'd rather have a half dozen good healthy roses than a dozen troubled plants

• pinkkpearls
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've been watering my babies Very deeply and they exploded in growth! Wow at the power of water. The person who told me I was watering too much, for shame!!! I should've known better, good thing is these roses are so forgiving and rewarding!!

I'm very excited to see the Tiffany and Betty White covered in New growth And buds! All my others are doing wonderful as well except that wretched Intrigue ugh

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Whew!! Good thing you checked in here!

That's awesome that they're growing and thriving for you. Enjoy your upcoming flowers.

Carol

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago

So happy your babies are doing better! I will be curious how your sterling sliver does. Lots of gardeners seem to have problems with this rose. I think it used to be or still is used in the floral trade. Those roses tend to not do so well in the home garden. Hope yours does great. Yes, this from someone that is still thinking of ordering a David Austin bouquet so I can try rooting some of the roses in it since I can't get them here....

pinkkpearls thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago

Great to hear!

• pinkkpearls
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mustbnuts the SS bloomed once, I missed it. Came home to a burnt and withered old bloom :( it is leafing out though, so far is slow, but good.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath