Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecucumbers

How to protect a rosemary bush in the winter.

Hi there,

I grew rosemary from seed, just to see if I could, and I did! Now I have a tiny and tender little thing--it's not large at all, but if I can save it from the winter cold and wind, I'd like to. I was thinking of putting a 5-gallon bucket over it, and then wrapping an old towel around the bucket. But perhaps you have some better ideas? I'd rather not take it inside. We heat with wood, and it gets very dry. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

I don't know for certain about this since rosemary is perfectly hardy where I garden and needs no special winter treatment. However, I don't think the bucket will work. It would exclude light and since rosemary is evergreen I believe it would die in the dark. Wind and rain will not hurt it ( we have plenty of those ;-) but deep cold will. Rosemary isn't tropical so it doesn't need a warm winter, just one which doesn't go far below freezing for too long.

ilovecucumbers Zone 6b, NE PA thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • ilovecucumbers Zone 6b, NE PA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Where I live, there is deep cold. Perhaps there isn't a way to save it. Damn!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

If it's very small there's nothing to lose by potting it up and keeping it in the coolest lightest place you have inside. Maybe you have a porch or something?

ilovecucumbers Zone 6b, NE PA thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • ilovecucumbers Zone 6b, NE PA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I do have a porch, but it's not screened in or anything. Maybe I'll pot it, keep it in a room away from the wood stove, and put it out during the days it's sunny and above 30 degrees. Thanks for your suggestion--I'll give it some thought. Last winter, I tried to save my lavender, which had grown fairly well, but it didn't make it. I think I am destined never to grow lavender...I am growing the hardiest variety, but no luck so far.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Well good luck. it would be a pity to lose it after growing it from seed.

• balloonflower
    8 years ago

I do overwinter mine inside, but use lights on a timer. I have a shelf in my basement where I keep my pots, using the lights I keep for seed starting. I mix some bonsai or succulent soil in with the potting mix to help with the drainage, and then am careful with the watering. I use a probe moisture meter to make sure I know how dry the pot is, or don't water until I see the new growth tips droop slightly. We have dry air here, and I mist the plants when I think about it to help with some humidity. I also have to be careful to watch for powdery mildew on my indoor herbs. You will have to be careful moving them outside for short periods since they won't be used to the sun/wind.

i would worry about the bucket not allowing for any light or air circulation. Plus, it won't control the moisture level of the soil. I did manage to overwinter an Arp here with lots of straw, but it didn't grow much for me the next summer, so I quit trying.

• mersiepoo
    8 years ago

Ah Rosemary...the plant that constantly dies for me (and my mom too). Ha ha! I got a allegedly zone 5 hardy rosemary from Jung seed 2 or 3 times for my mother. She is in zone 5B. They died every single time, though I think they were mulched to death too. So, I got one for me, I'm in zone 6A. I planted it in a well drained location, lots of sun. Did it come up for me? Heck no! I have rotten luck with rosemary if I keep it inside, though I'm very good at killing the plants very fast inside. I water them too much, and then not enough and they look really nice all dried up. Lucky for me it's not my favorite spice!