Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer2413

Mixing vertical bar pulls and cup pulls?

jennifer2413
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I asked this in another thread but thought I'd create a separate one as well.

It seems when there are cup pulls on drawers, there are knobs on cabinets.

I am intrigued by the idea of using vertical bar pulls on cabinets (Top Knobs trunk pull) and cup pulls on drawers. Our kitchen is quite vintage in feel -- beaded edge white maple cabinetry with a wenge finish cherry island, carrera marble counters. Old fashioned pendants.

Yay? Nay?

This is the trunk pull.

This is the cup pull, but it will be in the matching finish, not ORB. I like the look of the cup pulls on the drawers much better than the look of the trunk pulls on the drawers.

Our kitchen designer says it's not usually done, but he's not opposed to it. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice? Thanks!

Comments (25)

• jennifer2413
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the trunk pull on the drawer, just for contrast.

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

My first reaction is "no" but I'm not the best to ask for design help so I did some houzz snooping to find you images of kitchens mixing pulls and cup pulls. Cup pulls paired with knobs is more common, based on my search results, but I did find a number of kitchens mixing pulls and cup pulls, more than I expected to find.

Crisp Architects · More Info

The next two kitchens mix cup pulls with knobs and appliance pulls.

Woodinville Retreat · More Info

Uptown Charmer · More Info

Blair+Donna: McKnight, Pennsylvania · More Info

Knobs, cup pulls and pulls mixed in the next 2 kitchens

Whimages · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen in Fulham · More Info

The Nantucket Show Home · More Info

White Kitchen with wood island, carrara backsplash, black granite · More Info

Beverly Hills, CA · More Info

HTH!

jennifer2413 thanked lisa_a
  • Carrie B
    8 years ago

Funny, my initial, visceral reaction was "no" followed by a bunch of reasons that even I don't abide by (mixing time periods, mixing styles, etc.) Lisa_a's above examples look just fine, quite lovely, even.

• jennifer2413
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! You are a much better houzz searcher than I. I found one. ;-) Thank you!!!

• PRO
    B. Chic Interiors
    8 years ago

I am on board too, now after seeing these examples. I love the internet!

jennifer2413 thanked B. Chic Interiors
  • lisa_a
    8 years ago

You're welcome, Jennifer!

jennifer2413 thanked lisa_a
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

Huh, I'm surprised at how many people would have said no. My automatic reaction was yes, because of the choices that you made. They are visually the same weight and follow the same lines.

One of the pics that lisa posted I don't think is a good match and I would have said no to that combination - the 6th kitchen down (gray cabinets, glass cupboards). I don't like the mix of the bar pulls and the cup pulls.

jennifer2413 thanked blfenton
  • anitamo
    8 years ago

With your choices, I say yea.

jennifer2413 thanked anitamo
  • kelleg69
    8 years ago

I think your choices go well together and I think that anything goes with hardware, generally. Do what you like!

jennifer2413 thanked kelleg69
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

Very nice! Would you mind sharing where you got your hardware?

• jennifer2413
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. They're both from Top Knobs.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

It's perfect. I'm glad you did it.

jennifer2413 thanked blfenton
  • jenmendel23
    8 years ago

A view of the (almost finished) whole kitchen. There's still some missing trim on the hood, the light over the kitchen table needs to be lowered, etc etc.)

• jenmendel23
    8 years ago

Oops. I somehow ended up with 2 houzz accounts when they merged with gardenweb and I thought I was logged into the other.

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

Looks great!

• michoumonster
    7 years ago

hi jenmendel, would you mind sharing the size of your cup pulls and trunk pulls? are they both the same length?

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

Hmmm, we did cup pulls and bar pulls and I never questioned the choice. Maybe I should have, but it really doesn't bother me. I like what youve shown and would go with that if it's what you want. The linked pics are beautiful and don't look odd to me.

• jenmendel23
    7 years ago

Michoumonster: the cup pulls are (approximately) 3 3/4 wide. The bar pulls are (approximately) 4 7/8 inch long.

• mrspete
    7 years ago

I like the mixture, and I think it works best when you keep your style very SIMPLE.

• Jody Engel
    6 years ago

Has anyone had any issues with double cup pulls on wide drawers (~30 inches)? I've read posts that state that since you tend to open a drawer with one hand, it may eventually harm the drawer if it's not opened equally from the center. Also, what kind of knob would you recommend for a pull out trash can?

• Jen B
    6 years ago

I am doing the horizontal cup pulls on drawers and the vertical handles on doors in our kitchen too. I just don't like knobs at all, personal preference. I am glad to see this was done and it looks good.

• Patuki Aros
    5 years ago

Hello, I have chosen cup pulls for the drawers and small knobs (25mm) for the cabinets. But I am not sure what to do for the panneled dishwasher and the panneled fridge..

My questions are:

*Is the cup handle comfortable enough to open the dishwasher?

*Would it be ok to use a bigger knob for the fridge (38mm) and the pantry next to it? .And what about using handles for these two ?

Note : My kitchen is small to American standards , 3 drawers, cabinet under sink, dishwasher , single cabintet, in one wall then one cabinet, oven and mico with cabinet, fridge and pantry. The an island with 2 sets of 3 drawers and bin cabinet

Thanks a lot!!!

P

• Nikki Lee
    4 years ago

Old post, but do you need two pulls for one drawer?

• Marianne de Laperouse
    last year

I know this post is old but I have a related question. Our kitchen cabinets are mixed. Off-White shaker for most of the kitchen with soapstone countertops and cognac colored stain on maple on the island with marble countertop. We wanted the island to kind of look like a piece of furniture (it’s a late 18th century house) and I was wondering if it would be too busy to use another kind of cup pull (in black) on the island drawers- not very different but still not the same as the rest of the kitchen. We are using cup pulls and knobs (either chrome or brushed nickel ) on the white cabinets. Do you think that would be too busy?