Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_angel

New home, granite island corner is chipped off and other issues

Julie Angel
8 years ago

I am under contract on a new construction home by Signature Homes, The Ridge, Hayward CA. And closing is on September 3rd. I have upgraded granite to group 3 ($12,158). Island has 3 cracks. One corner is chipped off/broken around size of thumb nail. Back splash joint behind sink tap is not aligned to the joint in front of the sink. Granite seams are noticeably visible to normal eyes even from the distance 10-12 feet. We have been talking about these issues with builder more than 1 month and every time when we send email either there is tardiness in communication or sales office and superintendent (construction team) kept telling us we should not worry and we are in good hands and they will address these issues.

Now we are 2 days away from closing and builder is not willing to rectify these issues and not changing it, they keep trying to convince me that it's as per industry standards. While the specification book from builder says if granite is chipped more than 1/16 should not be acceptable.

Here are some other issues we found:

1.Master bath tiles were installed wrongly. (As per instructions from design center staggered tiles should have been placed overlay ratio 33 but they installed with 50 that caused leveling issue)

2.Downstairs bedroom tiles were installed – first wrong tiles and second time installed wrongly (As per instructions from design center staggered tiles should have been placed overlay ration 33 but they installed with 50 that caused leveling issue)

After talking to builder first they said this is as per industry standards and when we showed them design center instructions and pictures from model home they admitted and took care of the tiles in both the bathrooms.

3. Stairway paint: We took stairway upgrade option $7815 and selected white color stain and coffee color cap matching the kitchen cabinets.

There was a communication gap between construction team and sales office and they painted stairway all coffee/brown color. When we showed our concern to sales office they agreed to change the paint to white. We asked them what procedure would they follow so the white paint on dark coffee color should be flawless. We were told that they will sand the brown stain off and then apply primer and then apply white paint. During our next visit to house we noticed white paint is peeling off and brown stain is visible. (it is the earlier brown stain and not any primer). As per superintendent (construction team) it is lot of work and he will check if his boss approves it. Now builder says that "it is their belief that painting over stained wood has no impact on life or performance of the painted area" Our concern is today they have done touch up work to those visible spots what if over the time white paint starts peeling off?

We were trying to connect with the sales office more than a one month to get to know course of action and they came back 3 days before my scheduled closing saying they are not going to change the granite and correct the stairway paint.

Need a favorable advice please. And my sincere apologies if I have posted this question in wrong place. i am new to this community.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Drawer Essentials
    8 years ago

I would talk to a lawyer.

Julie Angel thanked Drawer Essentials
  • Julie Angel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you! We are trying to connect with the builder if they can set up a meeting to see if the issues are as per their specification book or not before declining our requests. Book has mentioned these points very clearly what is acceptable and what is not. And my apologies Island is chipped off @ 3 places. No cracks. And Counter in front of pantry is chipped off at 2 places.Builder is either delaying in responding to our emails or cancelling the scheduled meetings. I will update on this soon. Your suggestions are highly appreciated and will help us in this situation.

• dogmom5
    8 years ago
    Until those things are fixed do not pass papers no matter what's promised you & when-unless it comes from a judge. Once they get it signed & money, very likely you'll never get the work done & will be more of a nightmare. Unless they're willing to sign an agreement with you specifying all the work that needs fixing & when it'll be fixed, I highly suggest hiring an attorney. Not only will you be sparing yourself aggravation from chasing them down but they'll see you're very serious by hiring legal council.
    Julie Angel thanked dogmom5
  • dogmom5
    8 years ago
    I meant closing on this house.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

I agree with dogmom5...don't close until everything has been dealt with. The upgraded granite = you should get what you paid for. Granite needs to be dealt with. Ask the build team what it means to THEM if you don't close on the deal?

Put the ball in their court. I would also contact a lawyer to clarify YOUR position as to what you MUST do (legally) vs. what you can walk away from (what penalties, etc). Find out your legal standing. Once you know your legal status, you can negotiate from a position of power.

Closing date delays will cost the builder MORE than they will you. I can guarantee it. Once they find out you will NOT close on 3 September, they will probably hustle up and get things done. Once they have your money...you will have a HECK of a time getting anyone to help you. It is all about "the money". Use it to negotiate.

Julie Angel thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • Julie Angel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Had a meeting with the builder team.

Builder team inspected the granite island with us and we
    showed them all the pictures we had taken before they filled the chipped areas.
    Plus today they found more issues
    including small cracks in the island. Builder verbally agreed on changing the
    island only. And said they will ask me to approve the slab for granite that is
    matching with the rest of the counters.

My granite is White Spring and it has lot of characters
    and variations and also color changes with the every new slab. When I went to
    choose 3 slabs, granite guy suggested me to choose from the same lot otherwise each
    slab will be different since it is natural stone. I hope builder will agree on
    changing everything. Since seams of the counter has visible gap and backsplash joint
    behind the sink and joint in front of the sink is also not aligned. And counter
    in front of the Pantry is also chipped off at multiple places.

Stairway paint : Builder is not ready to take care of it
    right now. Verbally they are promising in the future (before warranty expires),
    if the paint starts peeling off, they will paint the whole structure once
    again. And not ready to put this in writing.

I wish this meeting had scheduled earlier. We are now only 24 HOURS away from closing date. And I have to still wait for the concrete solution on the issues we have reported. Thank you everyone for your support.

• PRO
    Drawer Essentials
    8 years ago
    I would type up what they and agreed on and get the builder or the builder's representative to sign it before you close. Good luck with your new house.
  • dogmom5
    8 years ago

Verbal agreements mean nothing to some, especially when money & profits or loss of them are involved. Just meaningless words. Always get everything in writing-it's a contract & more binding than he said this will happen when. You have no guarantee they'll keep their words & likely not. You're paying big bucks for your new house. They're not doing you favors- you hired them to get a job done. There's absolutely nothing wrong with protecting yourself & asking for everything to be written down. Not sure why you wouldn't protect yourself so easily. I really hope this works out for you. Please let us know.