Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ally_green

Front porch decor

Ally Green
8 years ago
So, My fiancé and I recently moved in with his brother in New Orleans. We live just next to the garden district so the houses are all lovely. This house has been a bachelor pad, essentially. Bless his heart, he's taken on much of the house renovations himself, but there are some things that needs a woman's touch. I'd like to do some fall decorating...or any decorating...on the front porch. It's just such a blank canvas that I can't seem to come up with a good design... That and a MAJOR issue is the thefts... We were using energy efficient bulbs on the porch, and someone kept stealing them. The two shrubs you see in the picture are filled mostly with bricks, so no one can run off with them (so far so good!). I'd like to add a bench, but I worry about it getting stolen. Anyway, I'd love some suggestions! Even permanent decorating advice, or just seasonal options. Also, it should be attractive to the burly men, not glittery or floral. Thanks!!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Velvet & Green
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey Ally! Painting out the window with a fresh coat of navy and a fresh coat of white on the window panes and the cinderblocks would add some nice detail. A pop of color with a mossy green door would be gorgeous! You could secure a white bench with metal brackets & screws to the side of the house to be sure it stays put, along with zip tying some corn stalks (for fall decor!) to the sides of the bench. If you are feeling super ambitious, a painted or stenciled pattern in the shape of a rug in front of the door or on the majority of the patio would absolutely dress it up. Good luck! http://velvetandgreen.com/services/

(stencil or stamp a large scale pattern to replicate a rug)

(corn stalks)

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Install a motion detector spotlight up high on the front of the house to help deter theft. Carry the dark blue over the front under the porch so when it gets dirty you will not see it. If you do place a bench on the porch, do bolt it down & have fun dressing up a scarecrow to sit on the bench to keep watch for you & greet quests.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

You know, with a little creativity, i bet you could get a little railing put across the front of that porch and that would cut down on your thefts. if you bring it around the sides with a squeeky gate where the steps are, that otta further deter them. I would also put a motion sensor in the light fixture or put other lights with motion sensors in, that should further deter them.

next, or maybe first, I would paint the bottom wall of the porch. You made it this lovely dark blue, but that white wall is so dirty, just paint it a dark gray something like that, maybe plant some bushes. Maybe cactus, that otta really attract their attention. tehehe.

I love dark blue, if you go through my books, you will find a ton, but you might wish to do something to make the door stand out. make the detail different, it is so lovely, or maybe paint a dark red?

Ok, so the BIL is handy with his hands, lets make a bench and bolt is down. make or buy something that gives you 2 c shapes these will be your end legs, bolt several thin metal rods or pipes across the top, then put punched metal on it for a bench top. put your decorations on here. let me know if you need further instruction. I will give some pics now.

these can be used as a fencing material and are very reasonable at amazon, you can use the taller garden stakes to attach them. or go to arcurio they make all types and surely have fixtures.

Outdoor Lattice Designs | Outdoor Privacy Screen · More Info
    for the bench, here is a piece of perforated aluminum for our light fixture we are making. it is a little small for a bench, but you could use more than one or get bigger ones, these are what they make radiator covers out of.
    Aluminum Metal Sheet 12 inch x 24 inch Chain Link 043374575408 | eBay · More Info

• havingfun
    8 years ago

halloween decs:

this is a bit over the top but a mix of mums and a pile of pumpkins can be cool

Traditional Entry · More Info
    house numbers on pumpkins
    Pretty Front Entry Decorating Ideas for Fall from Better Homes and Gardens · More Info
    when i had a glass door, i hung mine to the side
    Pretty Front Entry Decorating Ideas for Fall from Better Homes and Gardens · More Info
    this is much like what i first had, but it was a little half circle, I always followed the tall in back then middle, then some hanging down. You could have spiders hanging down.

Ally Green thanked havingfun
  • cparfc438
    8 years ago
    Suggest you install a camera from inside, linked to your cellphone.
    Ally Green thanked cparfc438
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

So glad, I found you again, I forgot a really inexpensive, not worth stealing idea. Don't carve pumpkins, carve paper bags for luminaries! I get the designs off line put those on paper bags, cut them out, better if you can spray paint the bag, but at night it does not matter much. can do same for fall and christmas

Fall Decorating Ideas -Southern Living · More Info
    big rocks inside will help deter. or a metal chain running through all the bottoms. I use the little battery candles.

Ally Green thanked havingfun
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

ps-let us see when you are done!

• pcmom1
    8 years ago

If money was no object, I would love to see the porch with a cover. Having Fun posted some nice ones.

You could have a built in bench that is screwed into the concrete. Can't steal that!

I would look into a motion sensor security light!

• pcmom1
    8 years ago

If money grew on trees....

Supplied By Jefferson Door · More Info

Ally Green thanked pcmom1
  • pcmom1
    8 years ago

A security camera attached to the side of the house?

Stoic Technologies Weatherproof Bullet Home Security Camera · More Info

• pcmom1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You could add a permanent or retractable canvas awning over the lower window. Then a bench under the window.

First I would add some pretty fencing around the entire porch. Add a gate to be opened at the top of the stair. Lock the gate at night. Even a couple of "road blocks" can deter a thief!

Bayview Entry · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

A good pressure washing or treating the green mold with "Wet and Forget" should help clean up the front without much effort. Plant dwarf azaleas in front of the porch and "wire" them with an electric fence to deter theft!!! I'm serious - you live in N.O. - been there and done that! We planted castor beans - very undesirable to steal - and they suited our planter's cottage. A new motion lantern would be a great investment. If you invest in a more permanent relationship with your BF and stay there, I'd invest in a pergola to cover the entire porch. Whatever you do, build it to last and attach it to something immovable.

Progress Lighting P5854-31 Motion Sensor Two Light Wall Lantern Textured Black · More Info

Seattle Exterior Facelift · More Info

Ally Green thanked decoenthusiaste
  • pcmom1
    8 years ago

You could add planting of barberry around the porch and under windows. Those sharp spikes will keep them away!

Sunjoy® Tangelo Barberry · More Info

• Ally Green
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all! excellent ideas & suggestions! I hope to add a permanent cover to the porch, or perhaps connect the balconies on the sides of the house... In due time! I love the idea of the "natural" theft deterrents! I can't wait to put some of these suggestions into action!