Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windsorhome

Help! Advice on drapes/windows for two story 17 feet long windows!

windsorhome
8 years ago

Hi, We just moved into a new home and are trying to decide on window treatments. I think I am sold on one story windows only for functionality and to warm up space. I am looking at the Pottetybarn Emery Drapes in the Oatmeal color (we ordered a light gray sectional). Question: do I do 8 50" panels, to frame windows with two separate rods (covering 2 windows ea). 1 17 foot long rod? Two 100" panels, for each side of window? Having a tough time with this one. Thanks in advance!! Note: these will be functional curtains and we do not get a ton of sun (North facing).

Comments (6)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You say they will be functional....................so you want them to draw closed? If so then you need panels that total up to at least twice the width of the wall, or better yet three times the width of the wall.

If the panels are just for appearance then you will only need enough panels to make the drapery appear substantial enough.

• windsorhome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Beverly. Yes, I want them to draw closed, but dont want them to cover windows, when open. How do I accomplish this w/ such thick panels ( 2 or 3 times width?)? Thanks

• windsorhome
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Beverly! Thanks so much; I just saw your mock up with curtains! What do you think looks best in your opinion? I like both of these looks. Also, what about the 8 panels, for each window? Thanks for your help!

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

the trouble with a single rod and just panels on each side is support... you'd need to do a traverse rod, not rings which is the more current look. i think doing it as 4 separate windows/ 8 panels would look a bit blocky perhaps, maybe not. it would be the easiest as you'd be able to use standard panels from anywhere, wouldnt have to be restricted to where you can find doubles.

• PRO
    The Shade Store
    8 years ago

Hi,

For your drapery treatment I would suggest using our ripple fold track system extended from wall to wall. By extending the track from wall to wall much of the fabric will stack onto the walls on each end of the windows when they are open. I think a neutral, textural fabric such as Hemp in the "Winter" color would soften and warm the room. Another suggestion would be to install the track about 12” above the top of the windows for added dramatic effect.

In addition, I would like to suggest installing roller shades inside the window frame of each window. Roller shades give a sleek, built-in look and add another level of privacy. Our pattern Spring in "Linen: would complement the drapery fabric. For added convenience and automated functionality our roller shades can be motorized, so you can control the operation of your shades with the click of a button.

I would be happy to send you swatches of any of our fabrics. Just let me know---I’m here to help!

I hope this has been helpful. I am available to discuss your window treatments further via email or phone.

Tana Hendrix

THE SHADE STORE

t: 800.754.1455 | p: 614.454.3490 ext 463

thendrix@theshadestore.com