Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattisue72

Authentically old dough bowl or reproduction?

Patti
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I bought this dough bowl as an impulse buy at a local antique mall about a year ago. The tag said, "Nice, old dough bowl." I just loved it. Once I got it home, it occurred to me that it might be a reproduction. I've looked at pics online and of course I want to believe it's old, but I just can't tell. When I look at repros, I'm sure it's one; when I look at old ones, I'm sure it's old. The doubt has taken away all the pleasure from it. Any opinions?

Size wise, it's about 30" from handle tip to handle tip. It feels solid and has some heft.

Comments (10)

• lazy_gardens
    8 years ago

Mexican serving bowl, probably, of recent vintage. The big-eared style is typical for those that have handles and the wood looks like one of the common tropical ones.

They are usually oval, not round, and often painted as decorative items.

But it's a good-looking bowl.

Patti thanked lazy_gardens
  • Patti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks to both of you. Yes, it's still a nice bowl, I just hate that I bought it thinking it was old. I like to think I am smarter than that. Oh well. C'est la vie.

• Patti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And it's HUGE. Forget mini pumpkins, I could get a full sized one in there. Right now it's being used as a sort of lazy Susan in the center of the dining table.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

"I like to think I am smarter than that. "
    And now you are!!
    Think about mixing dough in that, and trying to dig the last of it out of the corners. A dough bowl is smooth...just pretty much a dished out piece of wood.

Patti thanked lindac92
  • Rhonda Hunter-Nellett
    6 years ago

I see old one with little information list on eBay from the eastern part of the US they look real with good patina, referred to as burl bowls because no one seems to know what there exact use was for, a dough bowl they were not. Yours could be an antique just like this one, but what they were used for is still a mystery. Before u chuck it. Keep investing it is so far a very interintering conversation piece!

• lindac92
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The easiest way to tell if a "round" wooden bowl is old, is if it's not round. Wood shrinks more one way than another....one of the reasons that old bowls often have a crack near the rim. Measure the bowl....if it's an exact round, it's not old.
    And a burl bowl is made from a wood burl and has a very distinctive grain and is much less

likely to get out of round due to uneven shrinkage.
    And the one from aBay appears to be another Mexican or Asian import. Primative but not really old.

• Patti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The bowl was never in danger of being chucked, old or not. It's great for displays and other things. I've no doubt that it's not old, however.

• jemdandy
    6 years ago

I have looked over the photos you supplied and I believe this bowl was carved from a single hunk of wood. The ears, pan side, and bottom seem to be from a single piece. The 4 round bottom pads are separate pieces. There is no evidence this was a lay-up of several pieces glued together, a common method for making large bowls.

This could be an old bowl made from a large piece of wood, or it could be more modern made in a cottage industry. Without some sort of documentation, one can not tell which this is. If you like the piece, enjoy it. You'll not find many made from a single piece of wood.

It is prone to cracking. One treatment that helps is to apply raw linseed oil and let dry without wiping. Wipe after drying. Take time to apply multiple coats until the oil no longer soaks in. This will darken the wood toward a brown-yellow hue. This treatment helps to prevent cracking. After coating, do not sit directly on plastic counter tops or cement for a period of 6 months to a year. The oil does not completely dry and may leach into cement type surfaces and soften plastics. I sat my carving on a chip board to protect the cement hearth until the piece was beyond leaching.

A CAUTION:

If you intend to use this with food items, research the safety of linseed oil, both from ill effects and leaching into the food. It may not be a proper finish around food.

I mention linseed oil because I have successfully used it to prevent cracking of a chain saw carving in poplar wood. I have a carving sitting on my fireplace hearth for 30 years without a crack.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

I use mineral oil on wooden bowls, cutting boards, and chopping block. Food safe. Available anywhere including WM.