Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela_shults

Please help with my bathroom tile!

J Kildman
8 years ago

I'm at the step where I must order wall tile within the next day or two max. It's been stressing me out because I don't want to make a bad decision. Hubby is absolutely no help. :-(

1. We already installed the travertine on the floors 12x24.

2. Cabinet is mahogany (see pic)

3. Cabinet top is Carrera with rectangular sink (see pic)

4. Wall color will be a light greige.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Is it ok to have travertine on the floor and white porcelain subway on the wall?

2. I'm not sure what size wall tiles would look best with the size of the floor tiles (3x6) OR (4x10).

3. Should I keep the walls simple or add a thin marble insert?

Comments (38)

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I forgot to note that I like the idea of white on the tub walls because the floor has so much movement so I want simplicity on the wall. I'm only worried about it looking stark.
  • missymoo12
    8 years ago

I like the plain white for the tub wall tile but might not do the subway in the usual size and running bond pattern. You could pick a bigger tile in white and just stack it. I wouldn't do and accent tile and I would use white grout. You have other prettier things going on in the room that the bath tile doesn't need to compete.

One of my favorite showers was done in 5 X 8 tile stacked. With white grout. it looked really fresh and simple. I did my kids shower in a 4 X 16 inch white tile running bond with a marble strip as accent and light gray grout and really wish now I would have just done the white tile with no accent. It's been in about 18 months and looks out dated already. Should have known...

J Kildman thanked missymoo12
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think you have two choices with marble--white and gray. Would a light gray/greige work with the travertine? It's more important you get the tile right and then worry about paint. You can always use an off- white paint.

Is your vanity going to have the same size sink as shown in the first photo?

J Kildman thanked User
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes the vanity is the standard 30" wide. It will be in that back corner. I had someone tell me my floor is "busy" so the carrerra countertop won't work because of all the veins and the white tile will be "too stark." Yes that has me only a little stressed. I've already spent so much money so I'm pretty scared now to make the wrong decision. I ordered the marble top (it was a great deal) but I am pretty sure I can cancel the order.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OR do you think this vanity top will work better? Too funny because it's pictured with my actual vanity!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pegasus-31-in-Marble-Vanity-Top-in-Crema-Marfil-with-White-Basin-31998/100650791?quantity=1

• User
    8 years ago

I just read your other thread and saw the additional photos. Your floor is very pink/orange in some photos. I'd skip the marble tops and use a quiet quartz.

The sink is undersized in that marble top. There should only be 3 1/2 - 4" of counter in front of the sink.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for peeking. It's actually just the lighting. Here's a link of the actual tile if that helps. https://www.flooranddecor.com/travertine-stone/argento-brushed-travertine-tile-922101242.html#q=brushed+travertine&sz=12&start=25&disableContent=true

• aprilneverends
    8 years ago

Three Baby Peaches, the marble countertop you chose is definitely beautiful by itself , but the Crema Marfil countertop looks like it will definitely work better both with your floor travertine tiles, and your vanity color. Or, as mayflower suggested-quiet quartz (if you're lucky to find one..))

I wouldn't go with white tiles on the wall-it will be stark, and won't have much relationship to anything else going in the room except for the fixtures themselves(tub, sink, toilet). Can you find tiles that will have one of the travertine colors in them? Greige, taupe? It won't have the clean look of white subway, but it will be more related to everything else in the room. Skip accents unless they're very-very subtle or unless you're madly in love with them..

Another option if you're inclined to have white tile on the wall: change for a white countertop for the vanity(here's your opportunity to find pure white quartz-much easier than other color), white porcelain on the wall that will relate then to the countertop, white accents in decor(shower curtain? rug? white orchid on a shelf?)

I think 4 by 10 size will work better, but can't explain it-just a gut feeling. I usually prefer 3 by 6. I'll think some more..

It's stressful as hell, I know))

Oh, and I totally agree with mayflowers-the paint is the easiest, and should come last in your plan..you can mix any color paint, you're much more restricted in fixed materials.

J Kildman thanked aprilneverends
  • aprilneverends
    8 years ago

PS I like this buttermilk color..didn't see it when writing my post. Gotta check it out myself))

J Kildman thanked aprilneverends
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What do you all think of this quartz with a soft white subway?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_323272-10882-Q3122-3A-A-B-4__?productId=3841943&pl=1&Ntt=white+quartz

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

I like your floor but it is busy so I think you need to keep the countertop and shower tile plain....white, beige (color in your floor) or gray. You could tie it together by using the floor tile....cut up....in the shower as an accent in the form of a mosaic border or in the niches, etc..

• User
    8 years ago

Are you buying these counters sight unseen? I have had to match three tiled floors with counters and have found it to be very difficult to get the tones just right. I'd go to a stone yard and look for a quartz or granite remnant. A few granites also have very fine grains.

It looks like the speckles in that quartz are very tiny, like grains of sand, which will give you a solid look. Some have large crystals, which I'm not fond of. I'd also want to be sure that's not Chinese quartz, which uses a different production method.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The Carrera that I ordered was precut from a bath outlet. I'm almost thinking about using the icky top that I currently have and changing the faucets at this point.
  • aprilneverends
    8 years ago

Yes, I agree-your best bet to get things right will be to take a sample of your travertine tile and head with it to a slab yard, and then see what works together..

These slabs usually look different as hell even from their own samples, because the samples are small, and you can't see all the veining and blotches and spots, unless it's a uniform color of course.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I actually did that lol and the rep in the tile shop thought Carrera would be an an excellent choice after she kept trying to offer me busy granite choices.
  • User
    8 years ago

You won't like your old countertop when everything else is shiny and new. Don't feel pressured to just throw anything in there. If the tile person was pairing busy granites with that travertine, I would have said, "Thank you. I'll just look around."

For a 30" counter, your best bet is to find a remnant. Some people have paid about $300 to have that size fabricated and installed.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yeah they were charging $75 sq foot for the solid Quartz and $100 to cut the sink. Way out of my budget.
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    And only $5 a square foot discount for a remanent! Yikes.
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What do you think about this Quartz?
    http://m.lowes.com/pd/allen-+-roth-Marbled-Beige-Quartz-Undermount-Single-Sink-Bathroom-Vanity-Top-(Common:-31-in-x-22-in;-Actual:-31-in-x-22-in)/3559638#BVRRWidgetID
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Link isn't working. It's from Lowes.
    www.lowes.com

allen + roth Marbled Beige Quartz Undermount Single Sink Bathroom Vanity Top (Common: 31-in x 22-in; Actual: 31-in x 22-in)
  • User
    8 years ago

I can't copy and paste those while on my tablet, but I looked at your other thread. The crema marfil is very much like Buttermilk. That's designed to look like limestone, and travertine, marble, and limestone are traditionally used together in Old World applications, from the little I know. You should be okay with that but go see it.

You get more counter space with an oval sink, in the corners where it matters. I think it'd be pretty with the vanity and there's no corners to clean!

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here it is. I wish there were larger pics. :-)
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Found larger pics
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    How does this Quartz work?
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    More pics
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Last set. Does it look too yellow? I placed an off white subway on the counter too.
  • User
    8 years ago

Well, it looks warmer, so that's a plus. The pattern isn't too busy. It's got the Kohler Ladena sink shape, which is a nice sink and very popular in Houzz photos. The subway tile isn't a stark white and appears to work with the counter. Hard to say because the colors change in every photo.

Can that thick quartz backsplash be removed so you can use the subway tile as backsplash? It always makes a small vanity top look so squished. I'd then use the same tile in the shower.

J Kildman thanked User
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

The white tile will never be next to the counter top will it? Only around the tub. Don't use anything else but the counter top marble for the backsplash. Don't borrow any trouble. It looks so much better than what you started with.

J Kildman thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! I really like the sink shape. I haven't made a final decision yet! I ordered a cream marfil marble countertop from Home Depot (although it has an oval or round sink but oh well I guess) which I can return too so I can see which one looks better. Beverly, the subway tile will be far from the sink around the bathtub. With either this counter or the cream marfil, do you recommend adding a simple insert?

Mayflowers, I like the look of tile instead of the backsplash but I don't want that particular subway close to the sink. I plan on adding a wood framed mirror to match the vanity on the backsplash. Are side splashes essential? I'm assuming so to protect the wall?

AND for some reason, it looks so much worse in pictures. I can't capture the correct lighting on my phone.

This is the creama marfil I'm still waiting on fyi

• User
    8 years ago

I would be tempted not to do the side splash. IIRC, this is a downstairs bath so maybe it's not used for face-washing? I have a 36" vanity against a wall and never added the backsplash, and now I see I don't need one as I only wash hands and water never splashes out. But the counter was templated to the wall with bs in mind, so I'll need to tile it one of these days.

I like to match the backsplash tile to the shower for a custom look. If it were just the back that needed a splash, I'd use the same material as the counter. I just don't like the look of the side material the same thickness as the counter. You won't see it in the designer bathrooms on Houzz. I'd "borrow trouble" without a second thought!

It's just a matter of pulling all the colors together once you get that second counter in and can decide between the two.

J Kildman thanked User
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh yes I see what you mean about the side splash. I removed it and it looks a million times better!

So I found a soft white (a very light cream 3x6 subway) which I posted earlier. Do you think I should have it done in the brick pattern just with that tile by its lonesome to keep it super simple OR I noticed they sell a crema marfil tiny square mosaic that I can add in between the faucet and shower head maybe 6" high.
  • aprilneverends
    8 years ago

It all starts taking shape..))I must say I spent like 10 min trying to see the cream tile you found...)) Finally discovered it, lol

As for the back splash-my contractor wouldn't let me get away from some sort of back splash..especially it's not a tiny powder room, since it has a bathtub..Activity will go there, the wall should be protected. Unless-another possibility-you take your mirror right to the top of your vanity counter. Not everybody's a fan of this look, but it is an option.

As for mosaic question, I'm really not sure..color wise might be fine, but I've no idea how two different materials will work together in application..one is porcelain(or ceramics?), other is stone..I'd be hesitant to order at least until I talk to the tile guy. It's not only color, it's texture, width, who knows what else..

They didn't have bigger tiles in this soft cream, the ones you were contemplating, 4 by 10, right? Still don't know why I prefer this size in your place..maybe more modern look, less grout?

Are you going to use a shower curtain or a glass surround for a tub?

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I will use a shower curtain just for decorative purposes only. I may wind up sewing my own, we'll see.

• aprilneverends
    8 years ago

Then I'll show you this yesterday's post from a blog -it's about how to choose the shower curtain so it plays well with the tile. I think the only bathroom in the new place we won't remodel (because a) updated recently and b) no more money) has, like, 3 of these undertones going on, because the floors and walls are travertine too..but it seems different-a bit more golden-ish than yours..Anyway, here's the post:

http://www.mariakillam.com/9neutralundertones/?inf_contact_key=8e4c0370b81c0f079004a5161c2cd335c6d8ea716dbb73cec4f4c517098f986d

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks SO much for posting the link! I'll definitely read through that :-)
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Crema marfil arrived! I think this one works well!