Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjdick

What to do design wise with basement wall?

kjdick
11 years ago
We have a somewhat narrow opening going down to our basement. So there's no possible way of sheet rocking that wall. What is the best way to make this wall look good?
So far I think pulling the spackled cement and mud white covering off and showing the limestone would look best.
Would love some ideas of what would be best.

Comments (13)

• kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here's an example of what I think we will do with the stairs. Open to other good stair design also.
    Don't worry the ugly carpet at the bottom is going away.
    brantley palmer · More Info
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Cheryl. That is good idea. I'll have to look up some pictures of the decorative finishes.

I forgot to attach a picture of sheet rocked wall that I think will meet up with this wall in the corner. Don't know if there's room at the bottom of the stairs to go all the way to the corner with the Sheetrock. So another part of the design dilemma is what's going to look best with the sheetrocked part meeting the stone portion???
  • PRO
    Cheryl McCracken Interiors,Inc
    11 years ago
    you can continue the decorative paint finish into the room down stairs if you think it will work in that space.
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Cheryl we just finished sheetrocking and painting the main family room and play are in the basement. I like the stucco idea, but pretty sure my husband would have my head if I destroyed all his hard work with texturing those walls. Good idea though. We wanted to get the living are done first to e able to use it. Now we are working our way over to the stairs. Slowly!

First two pictures are of the limestone look. Pretty snazzy entry on the second picture. It's a good example of what I like too.Some natural elements like stone and wood. Mixed with classic pretty textiles.
    Hallways and Family Rooms · More Info

Southern Living Idea House · More Info

Second two pictures are just style likes for the family room we're finishing in the basement. Neutral backdrop with warm primary colors.
    San Clemente Home - Living Room · More Info

Ethnic Meets Modern · More Info
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think if we went the stucco rout for wall finish by the stairs the first picture might be the closest for a look. The wall is pretty bumpy.

Lake Home Exterior · More Info

No 2 · More Info

antique stone staircase · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-showcase-hillside-retreat-rustic-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~375611
  • PRO
    Fleurishes
    11 years ago
    We live in a 1907 home and faced a similar problem. I had my handy hubby install bead-board all of the way down the steps and into the laundry room. It looks beautiful and covers up a "multitude of sins". We purchased a 2" braided border trim (fabric) and glued it all along the edges. It looks lovely and very "finished".......good luck
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wish I had the room for something to just go over the surface. We barely squished the washer and our sofa down the stairs . Yes old house make for interesting design solutions.:)
  • PRO
    Cheryl McCracken Interiors,Inc
    11 years ago
    kjdick..the photo"antique stone staircase" is the idea that I am suggesting for your stair case.
    If the room is already finished in the basement just make the colors blend where the rough walls of the staircase run into the basement walls.
  • PRO
    MacMurrayDesigns
    11 years ago
    I think Cherly is on the right track, this is a tough spot. I've painted many areas similar to your space on exterior and interior walls. Decorative painting will give your wall a finished touch without having to use any materials that will hinder your mobility using the staircase. Best of luck!!
  • Julie Dvorak
    11 years ago
    I am facing a narrow basement stairway dilemma, also. How did you get furniture down the stairs?
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow MacMurrayDesigns great mural work! You make me long to do real painting again. All my skills with a brush have gone into home projects and art with the kids.

I'm still pretty torn between an accent limestone wall and the stucco finish like the antique stone staircase picture. I do like the stucco finish in the hillside retreat photo also.

Julie we've been lucky enough that the sofas that we've had to move up or down those stairs had easily removable feet. Even with that they just barely fit through. It also helps to plan before you attempt to move the sofas. Measure of course. Next check which angle you will have to carry it at to maneuver through the tightest spots and what position to have it in to correctly move into the opening at the bottom. Thankfully it's quickly wide open after the tightest spot with ours. This could be tricky though if your stairway is closed off and there's no opening of the stairs.
    Now my beautiful brand new washer was a different story. The back sides were all scratched up getting it down there. Bummer on a brand new appliance. At least you can't see any of it from the front.
  • PRO
    Flat Magic Art & Design
    11 years ago
    Trompe l'oeil stone work for the stairwell would work with the surface irregularities and become a real focal point. www.stepheneprice.com