Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancingfez

Help Please! URGENT need for kitchen and bathroom layout help

dancingfez
8 years ago

We are looking to gut our old galley kitchen, and open it up to the living room and dining room. The kitchen and dining room are separated by a non-load bearing wall. The wall dividing the kitchen[l and dining room from the living room is the load bearing wall which we would like to replace with a recessed beam and carry out wood flooring to match the current wood floors throughout the downstairs.

The kitchen is currently in the back of the house and we are playing with the idea of moving the kitchen to the front enabling three things:

1) It will give us more natural light from the two windows in the current dining room.

2) It would allow more counter space using a L or C shape kitchen, only thing is we would not have space for an island which the current setup allows.

3) With the current layout we don't have a bathroom on the ground level. We are thinking if we move the kitchen to the front of the house we can place a small powder room in its place and tapping into the homes main plumbing since it is located in that corner of the house.

We are hoping to get some suggestions as to if a kitchen in the front of the house is a bad idea or not.

Thanks everyone for reading! We are so excited to hear what your thoughts are.

Comments (13)

• dancingfez
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is a model I put together on IKEA site keeping the kitchen in same place.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

So you want the kitchen to be part of the living room and replace the kitchen door with French doors? That looks fine to me, if that's what you're going for.

• dancingfez
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well this is one of the two options we are thinking. We are wondering what people thoughts are on moving the kitchen to the front of the house where we have the dining room in this plan. This would also make the kitchen island unnecessary, but give us a lot more counter space and the opportunity to put a small powder room in where counters are currently in kitchen (in actual photo).

• User
    8 years ago

100K + budget for moving all of that plumbing and electrical and dealing with the consequences to the windows etc.?

• dancingfez
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Sophie, we have already gotten estimates (many under 50K including plumbing and electrical being moved). We are planning on enlarging the doorway in the back to fit a french door. Without regard to price, we are trying to figure out if the kitchen should be in the front (l-shaped kitchen) or back of the house (opened up with slight galley shape).

Also, what type of consequences do you have in mind for the windows? We are newlyweds nervous about renovation and were planning on leaving those alone.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

I suggest engaging a local person of talent (architect) to aid you in achieving your desired end result. There seems to be a lot going on and a lot of information missing to provide proper input.

• User
    8 years ago

Since the average midrange kitchen remodel by itself is 55K, I find it interesting that some lowballer has beguiled you into thinking you can do that plus all of the structural changes, and fenestration changes that normal counter height cabinetry will require. You are grossly underestimating both the professional design help that you need and the budget that will accomplish such a flip flop.

• dancingfez
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thanks for your helpful input! we have saved some money by going with ikea cabinets but I agree with the assessments
  • emilyam819
    8 years ago

Are the windows in the current dining room more than 36" off the floor to allow for counters underneath?

will you still have a table if you move the kitchen to the front?

I think its a good idea to move the kitchen and add a powder room. Leave a few feet of wall by the front door to run your cabinets into.

hard to say exactly without a floor plan though.

• qam999
    8 years ago

It's really important to start with your homeowner goals, such as "add half bath" or "get more light into kitchen" or "add counter space for <activity>" or "make unloading of dishwasher more convenient" or "have place to store cleaning supplies" or "have attractive dining space for 6-8" or "have breakfast area for 2 with morning sun" or "improve ventilation for stirfrying" or ???. Then prioritize these by considering them pairwise. Only THEN is it time to think about planning a new design. It's all too easy to start thinking about removing this or that wall, and losing sight of what the true functional and aesthetic end goal is, and I'm worried that may be what you're doing.

Also, keep in mind that the more open the kitchen is to living spaces, the more you need to consider whether kitchen mess and noise and smells may intrude into your quieter living spaces. Excellent ventilation (as with an overhead high performance hood) is a must. Consider whether you can relax on a couch that has a straight on view of a pile of dirty pots and pans.

• dancingfez
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes, adding counter space, light, storage for appliances, and allowing more than 1 person to cook at once are goals. we are excited for proper ventilation since now we only have a small square fan in our wall for ventilation. Also excited for a stove that is not uneven (food currently slides around when cooking!) :)
  • Katbv Vero
    8 years ago
    I personally would never buy a house with the kitchen at the front door, to me kitchens have side or back doors, I would leave the kitchen where it is.