Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
straightup

Living room Rug & Drapes struggle

Tee
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I want to purchase rug for living room area and nice drapes that would work well with my sofa.

I want to add some colours and life in my living room as everything looks so monotonous. If you guys can help me with drapes colour and rug colour and style I would really appreciate it. What shades of blue would go well in this room? and i am also having hard time finding a palette with this mud green colour in it.

Another question i have is dinning area do i need same colour/design carpet under my dinning table or i can leave it without carpet

1st pic: my fabric colour:

Comments (16)

• starnold
    8 years ago

A good way to start adding color is to find an item in colors that that you love. If you are a fan of the plate above your fire place I suggest pulling colors from there to start.

Tee thanked starnold
  • krmarchese
    8 years ago

I am certainly no expert but the style of your drapes looks too casual for your furniture. I love the furniture by the way. Perhaps you could add color in your drapes by using a rich jewel tone in a silk or satin fabric. Include the color of the drapes in accent pieces & pillows.

Tee thanked krmarchese
  • Tee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

starnold I actually dont like any of the decor pieces that i have in my living room so it will all go. I am going start fresh. The only thing staying is the furniture and lamps.

nosoccermom First picture is more accurate colour match for my sofa fabric. Its more of a light green than beige sofa fabric and I am not sure why my pictures are showing pink tint to everything . Walls are not pink either but its beige colour somewhat like below pic. I just finished paint job a few weeks ago.

I like your idea for a natural fiber or seagrass carpets but my concern is that everything is so monotonous

krmarchese I also dont like my drapes and i absolutely hate these drapes fabric. It doesnt have that softness in it which i would like. Again problem is I do replace what colours/design am i working with ? :(

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

So, it looks like the colors of your sofa and walls are similar to the first picture I posted. How about adding some drapes that are green and white and then some light blue accessories? Or white, green , and blue?

White, Green and Blue Floral Ring Top Drapery Panel · More Info

Or cream silk drapes

I would try to find pictures of living rooms that you like. You could even post here to ask what the common theme is.

Tee thanked nosoccermom
  • starnold
    8 years ago

If you aren't married to any of you decor pieces that's great - you already have a good neutral palette to start from. If you are uncertain about how to combine a color scheme an easy way to get a well developed color plan is to grab a pillow from the sofa and a paint chip of your wall color and head for a store that sells drapery fabric such as Calico Corners. When you find a print or pattern in a color scheme you like that works with your basic colors purchase a yard or so it will have the scheme of the color palette printed along the salvage edge.

Tee thanked starnold
  • louislinus
    8 years ago

I think you need some prints. If it was me I would find a fabric for drapes and use that as my jumping off point for the rest of the room.

• louislinus
    8 years ago

Here's a few I thought might work. You said blue so I went with that as a starting point.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

The colors in your picture are very hard to discern on line, so the actual color palette would have to be adjusted to match your particular colors and room conditions, but I would start with a rug...perhaps this one.

...then pull the colors from the rug to paint the room.

Swap the drapes out with something in the color scheme but more in keeping with the furniture...a valance and side panels in a heavy textured fabric...maybe a velvet or a dupioni silk.

Then go for art, perhaps something in the hudson river school that reinforces the color theme.

I would add a separate but coordinating carpet under the dining room table.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

The room has just been painted.

Tee thanked nosoccermom
  • Tee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i am kind of scared to use printed fabric for drapes as I am not fond of the style. As for paint, i just finished painting few weeks ago so I wont be redoing it again. My only choice is to play with drapes, carpet and decor pieces to help add colours in my room.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Ooops, I missed that part that it was just painted. Well I had fun playing with colors anyway...

As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, "Never mind."

• starnold
    8 years ago

I'm not shy with color- my choice for carpet would be this

I'd use the darker border color for drapes and add pillows or a throw in the blue grey

I'd search for a bold art piece to go above the fireplace and add vases or pots in a cinnabar shade, a tray on the table with mercury glass and seasonal flowers.

Tee thanked starnold
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

What are the paint colors on your walls?

• Tee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Annie Deighnaugh me too i love seeing how colours can change a room so much :)
    starnold previously we had bold red carpet and decor and now we want to change it to something different :)

ellendi6161 wall paint is light beige

• Tee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am thinking of buying carpet first before adding drapes and rest of the decor. I really want to buy blue carpet to go with the decor. But i am having hard time finding a store in Vancouver BC

What do you think of these in Pottery Barn but they are a bit pricey :( If you know any stores locally please do let me know.

Another idea that I have is to go with natural fiber carpet which would be easier to find but with that approach i am not sure how i would incorporate blue into my decor.

West Elm