Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Recovering a sofa bed?

artemis_ma
8 years ago

Is it more cost effective to recover a sofa bed than to buy a new one?

I bought the sofa bed back about 1983 (actually, I think Mom bought it for me, as I was just starting out on my own). I had it recovered in 1992 or 1993 by my then-housemate in exchange for rent, and I bought the fabric.

We had extra fabric which I've used to cover this when not entertaining -- keeps cat marks away -- and there are three cushions (without extra covering). It is queen sized as far as the mattress goes, and reasonably comfortable for a sofa bed.

I will need to recover it because the blue flame pattern won't go in the new home I'm going to be moving to later in 2016.

Or should I just consider buying a new one?

The other question -- do people (who don't happen to be living with you anyway) come to your home to recover, or do they haul off the sofa to their own place, to recover? Or do they expect YOU to do the hauling (I can't)?:

Comments (3)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    8 years ago

Their are upholstery shops in most neighborhoods and cities. They will come out with fabric samples and quote the costs to re-upholstery plus the cost of the fabric. And pickup and delivery is included. I would ask for references and how long they have been in business, you might also check with the BBB if they have had any unresolved complaints.

artemis_ma thanked iCustomSofa
  • artemis_ma
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, thanks!

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    8 years ago

Something to consider is when recovering a sofa first the
    sofa must be un-upholstered before the reupholster can begin. This can be pretty labor intensive. So actually you have to pay for the break
    down then the build back. Something else
    worth mentioning is there have been tremendous changes in sleeper mechanisms since
    the early 80’s for sleeping options.
    There are now thicker more comfortable options that also include air mattresses
    and memory foam. Another big difference is the support bar when the bed is
    pulled out was located in the center of the mattress causing it to be felt by
    the person sleeping on the mattress now they are mostly located towards the
    bottom. At least with better manufactures. This is much more comfortable for a good night’s
    sleep.

Select the leather or fabric you want to use, get your
    amount needed in yards or feet from a local upholster and compare. It sounds like you are happy with the one you
    have now so if the cost is right then re-upholster. Also, you should probably compare the quality
    of what you have now like the frame? Is
    it solid hardwood, engineered wood and the back and seat cushions? Will they
    need to be updated as well? Then compare
    it to the quality of a new sofa sleeper in that same quality of construction
    then compare your costs.

Often, it really does cost less for new and you will also probably
    have a more comfortable bed for when you need the additional sleeping
    space. If you do decide to have the
    existing sofa sleeper recovered the upholster will take it to their shop for
    doing the work it will not be done in your home. Sofa sleepers usually weight close to 300
    pounds so it will defiantly involve two folks at least to move it. And as
    mentioned above when spending that much money I would always check with the BBB
    and on line reviews can be very helpful if you don’t already have someone in
    mind that you have used previously.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES