Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neverbedone

Help with artwork and accent colour in guest bedroom

neverbedone
8 years ago

My first time posting but long time reading. I was hoping to get some advice regarding the
artwork for this spare bedroom. I found this picture the other day for $8 and bought it just for the frame. Put it up to see how the size would look and the more it’s up the more the actual picture is growing on
me. Any thoughts or suggestions? If I kept it then do the 2 small prints on the
other wall look too small? I was
planning on putting them in thicker frames. I bought the mirror because I liked
it but had nowhere else to put it for now so it can go but then do I need
anything on that wall. I know that wallpaper borders are out but this is a Queen
Ann revival style house so it is appropriate and I do like it. The room is narrow 9.5x15’. I have the fabric shown for drapes but what
other colour can I use for accent cushions just to get some other colour in
there other than blue and gold? Sorry some of the pictures aren't so clear.

Before

With picture

Wall with mirror

Border

Drapery Fabric

Comments (29)

• cawaps
    8 years ago

The artwork is a nice size and shape for that space. I can't see the subject matter very well, but it looks nice from what I can see.

For an accent color, I would look at either the red or the green from the border. That way you aren't pulling in something entirely new.

neverbedone thanked cawaps
  • User
    8 years ago

You bought the framed picture in the 2nd photo above for $8? Really? I love it. I would keep it there, and move the 2 smaller prints down about 12 inches, same wall.

Those twin headboards are so, so lovely.

neverbedone thanked User
  • neverbedone
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cawaps, I never thought of the red or green as I was so stuck on blue. That gives me some better options.

lisad82, Yes, $8, I grabbed it and ran... lol. I'm always hanging pictures too high even though I'm short, I can lower them. The headboards were a Craigslist find. The owners dad built them in 1929 and he glued a newspaper page with the date on the back of each headboard.

• nadd2
    8 years ago

Gorgeous room! Can I come and stay?

neverbedone thanked nadd2
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

i'd be inclined to put the mirror where the two small prints are with a floating shelf underneath the mirror (Mirrors look "unfinished" without something underneath them, to hold hair brushes, earrings, whatever, stuff people use in front of mirrors).

Move the bedside tables closer to the beds and use tall (for reading) table lamps rather than the floor lamps.

Those would be my suggestions.

Room looks so inviting, btw. I'd love to walk in there as a guest.

neverbedone thanked tibbrix
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What a beautiful room!

I agree with Annie. I feel like the picture is too "heavy" and overpowers the headboards (and takes attention away from their lovely shape). I second her suggestions.

neverbedone thanked User
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

So maybe the large print where the mirror is, only a tad lower on the wall.

• lisa_mocha
    8 years ago

I love those beds!! Such a pretty room:)

I'd also remove the pic from above the headboards and lower the 2 on the side wall.

Your guests will love this room,

neverbedone thanked lisa_mocha
  • LynnNM
    8 years ago

Everything that Annie said.

Love, love, love those headboards!

neverbedone thanked LynnNM
  • neverbedone
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow....thank you so much everyone!! Annie, I can see what you mean with your photo.

I will try the mirror on the other wall with a shelf and the big picture where the mirror is and keep an eye out for something to fit in between the headboards that will not fight with their shape. The small prints can go on a small wall by the closet.

I think I liked the blue being broken up with the picture but now can see I can do the same without something so heavy. I also have a pair of table lamps that I can swap out.

• lisa_mocha
    8 years ago

What would happen if you placed the larger print where the 2 small ones are now ( Lower on the wall), and place each of the small prints above those beautiful headboards?

neverbedone thanked lisa_mocha
  • Olychick
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I agree the large piece is too large for over those gorgeous headboards. What about hanging the two small pictures stacked on the wall kind of between the headboards, on the idea of Annie's post with the plates. (I always think it's weird to put plates in a bedroom or bathroom - guess I'm too literal).

eta, if you can, I'd move the beds to the very edge of the windows, so there is a bit more separation. Looks like you might have a few inches to do that?

neverbedone thanked Olychick
  • neverbedone
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lisa, unfortunately, the large picture will barely fit on that wall.

Oly, I originally had the beds further apart but pushed them together to fit more to the size of the picture. I'm not a plate person either but am thinking a grouping of prints in round or oval frames to give the same feel as Annie's picture. Perhaps something along this line

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I like the ovals a lot!

neverbedone thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • amykath
    8 years ago

Could you put each bed under a window and then a table between them?

neverbedone thanked amykath
  • cawaps
    8 years ago

I'm not usually a fan of heart motifs, but the shape of the negative space between the headboards made me think of something like this:

neverbedone thanked cawaps
  • amykath
    8 years ago

I really think giving each bed some more space between would make each stand out in their incredible beauty!

neverbedone thanked amykath
  • lpb99
    8 years ago

I would put the beds on the wall that has the mirror-then you could put more space between the beds and have room for tables--beds are too close together on window wall

neverbedone thanked lpb99
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Or, put one bed on the wall that has the mirror on it, next to the single window so that the end of the bed is under the two small prints; the other bed turn 90 degrees to the left (left-side bed) so that the headboard is on the wall that has the dresser on it now with the bed next to the window and running along that wall. That will also make the room feel bigger.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Don't care for the large pic over the beds. Too large and (because it has to be) too high. The other pictures are too high too. Perhaps some other kind of (period) wall art for that space between the beds. It would be interesting to see what the beds look like under the windows but I'd understand if you didn't want to lose the light and view.

neverbedone thanked monicakm_gw
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Just some .02. I have had both a large mirror and a large landscape photo across from my bed, and I much prefer waking up to the "view" of the large landscape photo. The mirror is kind of like a hole in the wall. And the last thing I want to see in the morning is my own face, lol!

neverbedone thanked l pinkmountain
  • neverbedone
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ok, moved some things around. Again, sorry for the bad pictures, the lighting was not the best but I just won't have a chance to do this for the next week.

The wall with the mirror has the doorway in it so I actually lose space. Then the main walkway would be right next to the bed.

The other wall with what looks to be a dresser (small bookcase) has closet doors and inswing of entry door. So the beds are best on the wall they are on.

I put the large picture where the mirror was originally.

Beds separated with same tables with table lamps and mirror moved

Table in between beds with a chair in the corner which could be replaced with a long narrow table or floating shelf. That's about the furthest that I want to block the windows as we're on acreage and have a nice view

I even tried the small prints above the headboards but they don't work for me.

Cawaps, thank you for the mock up. I think I'm still leaning towards oval frames if I can find ones I like.

1 pinkmountain, lol.

Thank you again, everyone.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

I'm going to be the odd one out here. With the high headboards, dark blue walls plus a border of wallpaper, do you really need something above each bed?

I'm not sure about the mirror in that location. It seems too high to function as a mirror. Are you using it as decoration only? Is there a place to hang it to reflect back the view?

neverbedone thanked eld6161
  • Jeannine
    8 years ago

The space is feeling a little heavy to me between the darn paint, the border, and all the furniture.I like the arrangement with the one table between the two beds!

I think I might focus on getting some lighter colored draperies up before making decisions about art.

neverbedone thanked Jeannine
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I like the lamps better than the floor lamps. From a practical POV, the 2 side tables are better with the lamps separated....as a guest, sometimes one wants to sleep while one wants to read and having 2 lamps separated is better for that. (I have twins in my guest room with 2 lamps on the far side for that reason.)

I prefer the mirror on the wall where you have it now, but it looks too high.

neverbedone thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Love the bedside lamps! They're perfect. Prefer the two to the one in the center.

Agree w/Annie re: the mirror. It looks high. However, I wouldn't lower it. rather, I'd put a floating shelf underneath it.

Take the chair out of the room altogether. Takes up too much space in an already very small and crowded room.

• neverbedone
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What height should the mirror be at? It's 61" at the center.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I'd leave it at that height but add a floating shelf underneath it.