Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Amazon Customer service

Olychick
8 years ago

I try to buy locally when at all possible, but my grandson wanted a toy I couldn't find near me, so I ordered from Amazon. I also ordered a couple of accessories to go with it. When I was wrapping it, I noticed that one of the accessory pieces I'd purchased was included in the larger toy. Today, I tried to return/exchange it for a different accessory and Amazon just refunded my $ and told me to keep the toy. $12.99. Amazing.

Comments (31)

• User
    8 years ago

I actually had something similar happen with a 150.00 chain saw! It had a small defect and for the money, I wanted to swap it for one that was defect free, they refunded the cost, said to keep it and if we wanted a new one to reorder.

Olychick thanked User
  • 4boys2
    8 years ago

Just yesterday I received 2 boxes of a $20.00 item~only ordered one and paid for one~ I called to let them know that they can go ahead and charge me for the second one because I'll be using it anyway~ I guess not too many people call to say "charge me more" ..I was told to not worry about it ..It was on them.

Olychick thanked 4boys2
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Wonder if Bezos can afford it because he is now (today for the first time) selling advertising on the front page of The Washington Post. Journalism is dead. :-(

Olychick thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Olychick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think he can afford to buy the world at this point, but I'm glad he's passing some of it along to us little guys.

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

....the Washington Post is also free w/Amazon Prime.

Goes hand-in-hand I guess.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Thanks for sharing your good experiences. I am not one to return merchandise unless absolutely necessary, but found recently that Amazon is one of the stars when it comes to returns. At least so far. I have had to return 2 items, and have had similar 'no pains' experiences.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

amazing! I have a few things I wasn't happy with that I have to return to Amazon ... and have been dreading it! This post sparked me to get on it tonight.

• terezosa / terriks
    8 years ago

Before his girlfriend went to Ukraine for the Peace Corps my son gave her a Kindle. After about 6 months it stopped working. She called Amazon via Skype and they sent her a new one - to Ukraine!

• 4kids4us
    8 years ago

Thanks for the heads up about the WPost being free w/Amazon Prime. I let my subscription last several years ago and occasionally read online, but now you only get six free articles. Since I have Prime, I guess now I can read it? How does that work? I've never used prime other than for shipping packages and streaming movies.

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

4kids~ Check HERE

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Only the first 6 months is free.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

Wish they'd offer free NYT.. that subscription kills me! I don't read it enough to feel happy to spend the 20/month.. but i read it too much to get by without a subscription!

• Olychick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Check your public library online services. Our library subscribes to the NYT, the WAPOST, LATIMES, WSJ, Christian Science Monitor etc. and all can be read at home. Same with Consumer Reports and some other pubs that many people like to read.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

I have had nothing but good experiences with Amazon. I ordered DH a new pair of shoes on the evening of December 25 and selected "standard free shipping." They came at noon today, December 29! Pretty good, considering there was a weekend in there and December 25 was a holiday.

The shoes are too small, so I have to return/exchange them. No problem at all, they say. They will send me the new shoes immediately and are trusting me to return the too-small shoes within 30 days. They emailed me a (prepaid) mailing label and a sheet to stick inside the package and told me to drop it off at any UPS spot.

Remarkable.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

Another who has had nothing but good experiences with Amazon. I've only ever returned a couple of items, and the customer service was great!

• User
    8 years ago

Nothing but good experiences with Amazon for me as well. That is, unless I count the way that they've packaged a few items and shipped them to me - like the Fiestaware dishes that were "sort of" wrapped in brown paper and tossed into a very large box containing a few of those cushioning airbag things. Many were in tiny pieces when they arrived, and Amazon's solution was to let me keep the order (not everything was broken) and credit me the full amount.

Recently I ordered a featherbed protector from Amazon, but had trouble with my local USPS branch on the delivery. The USPS insisted I owed $15 and change in "postage due", and I knew this was not possible so I just left the package unclaimed, contacted Amazon and let them know the package would be returned to them by the USPS, and they cancelled my order and refunded what I'd paid. About a week later, the idiot USPS apparently figures out their problem and the package shows up on my front porch. I felt it the right thing to do to contact Amazon and offer to pay since I HAD, after all, received the order. I was a little bit surprised that they took the time to recreate the order and take my payment information again, but they did. I wouldn't have felt right otherwise though.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    8 years ago

My sister ordered a Dremel for my birthday present. When I opened the box, there was a similar tool inside but it was definitely not a Dremel. I was definitely worried as there was no way to prove that the switcheroo had occurred on their end but they sent me a label and replaced it right away. Their customer service is excellent but it still scares me when someone continues to gain as much market share as they have. I also really dislike that warehouse workers have to stand in line for a long period of time to go through security (I understand the reason for security) and are not compensated for that time. Alas, Amazon is still very convenient.

• deegw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am an Amazon fan as well. I have a Prime account and I have noticed that they have been missing their delivery promises which never used to happen. I'm not sure if the problem is from their end or if there is just so much online shopping that the shippers can't keep up.

If you call and complain they cheerfully credit your account. I usually don't call because I feel silly complaining because they didn't send my deodorant within 48 hours. First world problems!

• dbarron
    8 years ago

Yes, I've also been impressed with Amazon customer service. I get more hassle dealing with the local Wal-Mart!

• User
    8 years ago

Very impressed with their service. I bought a Robert Graham shirt that was $102 as a gift. I thought it was included with their 25% off selected clothing and their was a glitch during checkout. So I cancelled the order to try again. In hours (due to their robo- pricing) it was $149. I bought it at that price and sent a note to customer service. They adjusted the price for me to $102. Should it have been 25% off and did I still not get the best price? I really don't know. But......it was a gift and two days later the shirt was $199. So all in all I am happy with their customer service.

• 3katz4me
    8 years ago

Not sure what Bezos can afford but Amazon as a company was not profitable in 2014. Not sure how a public company can continue to get away with that but you can be more generous with your approach to service if you don't have to turn a profit. I love Amazon by the way and buy just about everything but groceries there and agree - their efficiency and service is phenomenal.

• User
    8 years ago

Gibby I agree that their efficiency and service is phenomenal. Good news is that they are in the black for 2015 and have (for them) record profits. http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/22/technology/amazon-earnings/

• User
    8 years ago

Dee, I noticed that about the deliveries too. And not only are they late but they'll schedule it for 4-5 days when an item is clearly marked as a prime qualified item.

• 4kids4us
    8 years ago

That happened to me with a product I ordered this month. It was listed as prime and even said IN STOCK below the item. However, after ordering the item, it said my delivery date was about a week away! Well, that date came and went. I don't remember all the details except that I called Amazon to complain as it was a red bows I needed to decorate my porch for Christmas and time sensitive. Well it turned out that they were not in stock after all. Even though while we were on the phone, we both looked at the online listing and it clearly said "in stock" and Prime. However, he pointed something out to me that he claimed he never realized as a customer until going to work for Amazon - the two-day shipping only refers to the delivery method. So the two day guarantee is for AFTER it leaves the warehouse. If you ever notice, sometimes when you order something, it says below the item "Have it by <DATE> with 2-day Prime Shipping" or something along those lines. Except...not all prime items give a specific date. The item I was ordering did not have that date underneath and it wasn't until I made it all the way through and placed my order did it give me a longer delivery date. For me the downside was that I wasn't going to get my bows in a timely manner and they had nothing similar that they could offer me instead. On the bright side, he gave me a $10 off credit against my next order which was much appreciated. I did eventually get my bows but they were at least 10 days after I ordered them, despite them being listed as Prime. The guy told me he was going to send a note up the chain to fix the listing, but when I checked a few days later, it was still listed the same way.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Not sure how a public company can continue to get away with that

Because the investors see the plan. If you think amazon is going to still be like this with all the "whatever you want" customer service and less-than-cost pricing once it achieves its goal of becoming The Store, well, those folks know better. They understand where Bezos is going and they want to be part of it.

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

Ok~ Ordered Sterilite 18958004 67 Quart Wheeled Underbed Latch Box 4 pack only one was broken. My order looks like they are shipping 4 more-I'll let you know Monday !

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

Yes, they sent 4 more to make-up for the one that was broken. I guess as a stock holder I should be upset.

• Olychick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think as a stockholder I'd be happy they are building customer good will and loyalty! I suspect it costs them more to have you return one and have to handle the first set, or break up a set of 4 to get one to you. What do they do with the other 3? Probably too difficult to keep track of them as singles to replace other broken ones? Probably worth it to force you to have to buy sets of 4 in the first place. Glad you're getting replacements, though.

• Vertise
    8 years ago

They're only $22 each at Home Depot. It would have been cheaper if they'd had it shipped to you from there.

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

I have been an Amazon Prime member for several yrs. I love Amazon and have never had a problem with anything...until now.

ordered two Swagway "hover boards" ( from a third party seller) which we returned without opening, after receiving an email from them offering no hassle return and hearing so much about the fire risk.

i still haven't received my refund of 799.00

i suspect they are covered up with the hoverboard issues.