Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

What in your yard is blooming/fruiting due to Crazy Warm Weather?

My dwarf mulberry tree is loaded down with fruit in late December. It is also making new fruit so these aren't left over from summer. It shed its leaves for a month and is now leafing out again. It didn't have fruit last December . It usually freezes here sporadically late Nov-Early March. Last year I didn't get fruit on it till late spring early summer. I think its confused. The citrus are blooming and setting new fruit as well. Figs are already leafing out again after dropping their leaves about a month ago. Bismarkia nobilis and Cardboard palms are putting out several new leafs. Butterflies are still hatching out and laying eggs everywhere lol.

The only things that have really went dormant are the globba and curcuma gingers and hardy hibiscus.

I don't even have any of my tender tropicals moved into my greenhouse yet because it hasn't froze. They would all cook. Everything is blooming and making seedpods.

What's going crazy in your yard?

~SJN

Comments (14)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yeah, my winter veggies, like snow peas, are struggling, while the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant are going crazy right now.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    8 years ago

I don't currently have anything blooming 'out of season'. For me it is more the plants that normally would be knocked back by a frost are still going. Which is a little frustrating because I usually use frost knockback as the time to trim back certain plants so they don't become too big, like my passionvines and Beautyberries. On the plus side, my Firebushes are still going strong and if they make it through this winter, they should have stronger, thicker wood to deal with future frosts

• SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
    8 years ago

Just this morning I noticed my golden trumpet tree had blooms on it, freaky!

• garyfla_gw
    8 years ago

Hi

One that surprised me is cochliostema jacobiana (false bromeliad) Don't know if its the warm weather or what but it tried to flower last year during summer but aborted the stalks just as they emerged.. This is the first time I've seen one in flower ,very impressed with numbers and size as well as the aroma Rain beat it up but have two more stalks emerging. See no sign of leaves coloring though I suspect I have odoratissima due to the size of the plant.

I got some pix of it but comp won't let me add to the files .!! I'm so proud I really want to show it off!! Took me years to find it lol gary

• Tom
    8 years ago

All of my camellias have bloomed early. I have a white powderpuff that often doesn't bloom because the flowers come out in late January and are usually hit with a frost or freeze. It is now in full bloom and has been for a week or so.

My purple firespikes are now starting to bloom; this is about a month or two early for them. My Cape Honeysuckle usually has a few blooms now if it there hasn't been a freeze. It has been in full bloom for about six weeks now.

Also, my porterweeds are still flowering. This is very late for them. They decline quickly in cool weather and shut down entirely with a freeze. Now they are still in full bloom mode.

Very unusual weather, but it is going to change soon.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It got cold and rainy here the last few days. Its supposed to be in the 40sF tonight. Now I kinda hope it warms back up lol.

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    8 years ago

A couple of my turk's cap lilies are popping up about 4-6 was early and my fig lost some of its leaves but still has about half of them.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 years ago

My tomatoes never looked healthier or taller!

But the thing - or things - thriving the most right now are whiteflies, grrrr...

• xentar_gw
    8 years ago

Tropic Snow peach has bloomed and has fruit on it, UFO peach is still blooming, but it blooms early every year and loses all of its fruits. Anna apple has bloomed, but it usually blooms 2-3 times throughout the year. Surprisingly, one of my mahyaws has started to bloom as well.

• aputernut
    8 years ago

My roses are beautiful

• laura1
    8 years ago

Well, not a plant but I saw some love bugs the other day :-(

8 years ago

Laura, that could be a good thing. Lovebugs come out early, cold snap (hopefully) comes through, lovebug numbers reduced. That said, the ground has been so warm they can probably find shelter against anything above an actual frost.

• xentar_gw
    8 years ago

This appears to be the first year, in 8+ years, that my surinam cherry has produced flowers before the threat of a frost has passed. Well, at least I hope that there are no late spring freezes coming. Maybe it will actually produce fruit for the first time.

8 years ago

I now have 5 of 16 Blazing Stars (Liatris spicata) that are sending up flower stalks. According to sources, this shouldn't happen until mid summer. Granted, these are Wally World specials, so there is no telling just where these have come from, but I planted the bulbs a month and a half ago, so they have endured our colder nights and I would not have expected their clocks to be too far off. It is also possible our dry period has put them into survival mode since I didn't provide much water myself.