Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_davis48

new to orchids...

Bob Davis
8 years ago

I just bought an orchid as a bathroom decoration, I've never had an orchid before and I think it is so beautiful. The flowers are small and I'm not exactly sure what type it is because I got it for 5 dollars at a grocery store, and it wasn't labeled. I've had it for a little over 2 weeks, in that time I gave it water twice. It came in a black ceramic pot with no drainage but, it was planted in a clear insert with drainage. The first time I watered it I used distilled water. I took it out of the pot, and held the clear insert with the plant in it, over the sink, I let the distilled water run all the way through. I was careful to only water the roots and not the leaves. When it was done dripping I placed it back in its pot.

7 days later I did the same thing, only this time I used purified drinking water.

The reason for the bottled water is because I am in a new house, in a new city, and county. The water seems a little hard and I'm not sure if the city is treating it with salt. When I lived in florida as a teenager I remember killing my mom's orchid because I watered it with really hard water.

well I don't know if it killed it exactly, I just burned the leaves really bad.

Today I bought a beautiful orchid pot at home depot. I also bought a miracle grow orchid spray to use on it when I transplant it.

I am a horticulturist, at least that's my field of study, right now I'm technically only certified, I'm working on the degree part. I grow mostly Adeniums, dorstenias, fockeas and other tropical succulents.

When I was out I had to pick up mix for my adeniums. I use growstone 1 (clay stones, growstones 2 (silica glass balls, good source of silica for plants) and coir croutons. It is an extremely fast draining mix with lots of room for roots and air.

Will this be okay?

I attached pictures if anyone can identify it I would be grateful!

Also the roots look like they are growing moss or Algae, and a little bound. I know they grow in the air. I imagine it needs this repotting?

I really don't know too much about orchids except that they can be fickle. I'm going to try an catch up on reading about them tonight.

I do frequent the houzz adenium forum if you aren't familiar go check it out! Lots of great info we've passed 2,000 threads recently.

Thank you for reading!

Comments (13)

• arthurm2015
    8 years ago

It is a hybrid Phalaenopsis orchid. Notes in the link are prepared by the American Orchid Society. Many past threads on this site to read. Provided you can get the growing conditions right, they are easy. Plant is in good condition.

AOS Culture notes

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for identifying it. the picture I am posting isn't where I normally keep it, it goes in a much darker bathroom with only natural light through a small window. will this be okay? I have t-5 set up I have another area with LED and
    another aera with CFLS so if I need to find light for it I probably can. I live a little north of sacramento, ca so I don't think outside is an option at least not right now.

When I planted it it already was in moss, some of the roots looked rotted, I know that's not good and may even kill it but I imagine that if they are normally growing on other plants their roots may have some kind of protection. I didn't know if I should cut it, if I should I will wait a couple days before I disturb it again. the leaves are wet with spray that I bought from the store made by miracle grow. now it is back in its bathroom.

hope this pot and media will work, if not I will obviously have to prepare better next time.
  • Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I did just read I shouldn't use distilled water, that's fine I will continue to used purified bottled water. until I can find out more about my water. thanks for the link.
  • mesembs
    8 years ago

Yes, these look like Phalaenopsis orchids, very beautiful. I have not had much luck with orchids, but you need well draining soil, as pure of water as you can get, PLENTY of humidity, and and just keep fiddling around with light levels until you find one that suits your orchid best.

Good luck!

• mesembs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, and doing research generally does a lot to increase knowledge :)

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm reading about it now on the A.S.O site and Houzz.
  • mesembs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

At one point, I was very interested in orchid pollination methods. Very, very, very interesting stuff. It's just fun to check out all the cool mechanics involved!

Here is a couple of links if you want to look into it:

http://www.bbg.org/gardening/article/orchids_and_their_pollinators

http://oregonorchidsociety.org/education/orchid-pollination

• Lienphuong
    8 years ago

Hi Bob,

I am new to orchid too. I still have a lot to learn but I thought I should share what I've done. I got three "not doing so well" orchids from my friends last August and now they are doing well (one of them is having a spike :)).

Back then I repotted them using the following:

When I took the orchids out of their original pots, I did see some rotted roots. I trimmed those and kept only the good ones. Having them in slotted clear pots helps me have a better view of their roots and see better if they need water or not. I use regular water and water them whenever I see that the media is dry. I usually water the whole plant but hand dry the leaves right after that to make sure water does not go to the crown to prevent crown rot. I use Miracle-Gro water soluble once in a while. As regard to lighting, I am still trying to figure out what's the best for my orchids. They need light but direct sunlight is a very bad idea (I did burn some of their leaves!!!)

I hope that helps and good luck with your lovely orchid :)

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

Hi, Bob. Welcome to the addiction. It always starts with that first Phal.

You have a hybrid Phalaenopsis, as Arthur explained. The AOS notes are a good beginning.

Just a few comments to get you started. Your light will not be enough to keep the plant healthy. Phals like bright light even full morning sun. You could grow your orchid outside the bathroom and move it in when it blooms to enjoy. But to grow it, and get it to bloom again, it will need stronger light.

This is not a good time of year to do a repot or any root work. Spring is best when the plant begins new growth. Most important thing now is to keep the plant in a warm room and only water when almost dry.

I grew orchids in NYC for many years indoors during winter and outside over the summer. I did use CFL lights over the winter. I used RO water because we had well water which was not good for them. Rain would be the best and if you have rain barrels use that. If not, you can try your tap water and see how the plant grows.

Your mix appears to contain coir which holds a lot of moisture. Be careful not to keep the plant too wet. Their roots like lots of air. Also, rinse coir well as some can contain lots of salt.

Repotting any orchid when in bloom risks losing the blooms and buds. If this happens, don't worry. The plant will be fine.

These are easy plants to grow once you get the hang of it. They like warmth, lots of air movement and have 'drip-dry' roots. Water when almost dry.

You should do fine, but the light has to change. The plant can stay in your bathroom until it finishes blooming, then move it into a room with more light.

Good luck and again, welcome to the Club!

Jane

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Jane, Thank you for all the helpful information.
    I think I may start collecting rain water while we are still getting rain in california.

I did repot it, and yes those are cocoa coir. The size of the coir croutons really helps it dry out fast, the clay and glass stones keep it draining really fast too. I transplanted it yesterday afternoon, nothing has happened to the plant yet. I usually don't see signs of stress in my other plants for a few days upto a week. I'll keep my eye on it. thanks for the information about the lights, I will grow it under CFLS or LED depending on what it ends up prefering. I will a acclimate it first. I am going to keep it in the bathroom to enjoy the blooms first.

the pot I am using has alot of circulation it is a glazed ceramic net pot. I hope that will help.

I did read about when to pot it, after I already potted it up. I gave the roots and leaves a dose of spray nutrients when I transplanted it. there were some rotting roots but I decided to wait til the bloom dies off to take it out of its new pot and to trim them. I don't want to shock it too much. I do rinse the fines/dust out of all my media, soak it, then I flush it real good again.

thanks for taking the time to read my post.
  • mesembs
    8 years ago

Yes, transplanting is a good idea, because usually an orchid bought from a grocery store or even Home Depot will not have sufficient drainage and/or soil type.

Good luck!!

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Your plant looks beautiful. My plants blooms have been opening since I repotted it. It also put two more buds out. I think we even have the same pot! I love that pot. I am going to have to get one for one of my Adenium also!

I will get more light to mine.

thanks for the tips.