Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20103024

Sliding Glass Door on 2nd Fl. - Water Coming in at Threshold

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have water coming in when there is a driving rain (though not during a gentle rain) at my ground floor entry door along the top of the entry door frame. It took some sleuthing to figure out that the culprit is actually one floor above - a sliding glass door in my living room on the 2nd floor. It is a Pella sliding glass wood-clad door with a Juliet balcony. The sliding glass door is used rarely.

I had initially thought the problem might be tuck-pointing on the second floor, and had my tuck-pointing guy come over (he had done excellent work on my home a few years ago). He showed me how it was the sliding glass door threshold that was the issue, and that this was a job for a Windows contractor, not him.

Despite how bad the threshold looks, the door itself is in good condition. One side is fixed. The sliding side closes tightly, and slides easily. The water is coming in through the threshold of the sliding glass door, and unseen, then pouring down until it enters one floor below at the front entry door directly underneath it. The tuck-pointing guy also showed me that a little water is also entering the 2nd floor in the bottom corner of the window, which I had not noticed (see pic).

My question is - must I replace the entire sliding glass door? This of course would be expensive, and not easy, given the Juliet balcony railing that will need to be removed and then re-installed. My tuck-pointing guy felt that perhaps the threshold alone might be able to be replaced, and he advised also re-flashing was needed (or, he said perhaps flashing was poorly done originally, hard to tell). But he wasn't sure whether in the end, I'd need to replace the entire unit.

Please let me know what you experts think would be the best approach. Much appreciated!

P.S. (Please no comments on the quality of Pella - it came with the house).

Comments (12)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The photos above were with the sliding glass door closed, and just the screen door slid open. This photo is looking down on the threshold with the sliding glass door open, if that helps.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

Any idea as to a model number or glass ID? Usually you can pull up a model cross section and see where the issue might lie and where the fix might be.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

All I know is that it's a Pella Proline wood-clad sliding glass door. Thanks.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I found the number on the glass. It was really hard to read.

16CFR 1201 II SGCC-1829 3/16U

As I mentioned, it's a Pella Proline (or at least, that is what I was told were the windows when I bought the house).

Thank you for your help.

• PRO
    8 years ago

If this section is reflective of the door in question, i.e. if its the same design, then it appears the aluminum sill section is a sloped design and steps up into the interior wood threshold. I would go ahead and apply some sealant in the corners where that aluminum sill meets the jamb wood (be sure to not obstruct the drainage path) and possibly some between the aluminum and the threshold but I doubt that is where it is coming from.

Cross section

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Windows on Washington. Does your comment "but I doubt that is where it is coming from" mean that your recommendation will likely not work? Are you saying the water coming into the ground floor entry door is not entering via the threshold? I am sorry, but I didn't understand whether you are advising something else in addition to those instructions of applying sealant.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    8 years ago

I would follow WOW's suggestions to see if this can be remedied with a simple fix. This is where he is going: If that doesn't work, the door should be removed and a sill pan installed under the existing door and of course new flashing and re-installed. A lot of work and expense. You seem satisfied overall with the door but Proline is a medium quality at best door. You might also think about replacing the door at the same time. WOW - what is the PG or DP for this door? I think it is only a 20 or 25 so the door may be getting overwhelmed by your conditions.

User thanked East Bay 10
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks very much!

In response to your points:

- One reason we concluded the threshold was the problem, is that I took a Pyrex glass measuring cup of water, and carefully poured water just onto the threshold to see what would happen. The water came in through the top frame of the ground-floor entry door directly below as if being poured through a sieve.

- Just some background: I have lived in this house for several years, and this has not happened before. It is a new problem. So if the sliding glass door is being overwhelmed by my conditions, wouldn't it have shown before now? I had been assuming it's just wear and tear of the threshold - you can see how the threshold looks in the pic. But I am wondering if I will need to replace the whole unit or not.

P.S. I am outside of Chicago, so conditions are not the easiest. But this door is rarely used - a Juliet balcony is always kinda useless, but it came with the house.

• PRO
    8 years ago

You can't just service the threshold. If you tear it out, replace the door as it is not worth fixing at that point.

Try caulking the locations that I said first.

User thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks WOW. Is there a particular caulk that I should use?

• PRO
    8 years ago

Silicone is good if you aren't needing to paint it. Its what we put frameless show enclosures together with.

User thanked Windows on Washington Ltd