Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klhanie

Kicthen Cabinets - To Stain or To Paint?

Kristin Hanie
8 years ago
We are building a custom farmhouse with grey stacked stone, grey Hardi & bright white trim. I've decided to either use a modern grey on the interior walls. My pantry will have rustic charcoal grey stained barn doors. I thought about fir cabinets and using the the charcoal stain on our island cabinetry with light counters and using a white wash stain or white paint on the perimeter cabinets with dark counters. I have small children so white cabinets concerns me. I have tons of natural light in the kitchen with recessed lighting as well. I really wanna carry the rustic look into the home but I can't decide on the perimeter cabinets. Should I paint them white & distress them or white wash stain them? Or should I flip flop the design and do Charcoal perimeter cabinets with a lighter island? Are there other stain colors that would still compliment the charcoal grey cabinets & grey walls while allowing the natural grains to show through? Help! My last home we did Expresso cabinets with dark counters and they were beautiful but made the kitchen feel so dark & small. This kitchen is double the size. We really wanna brighten this space up and make it rustic, go with greys with brown undertones & feel more light & inviting.

Comments (9)

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

I really liked this recent kitchen done on Fixer Upper. It does use lots of wood. Looks like cement countertops, charcoal like color in the chairs, but otherwise not a lot of gray. It can be a challenge to mix warm wood tones with grays.

• Kristin Hanie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh, I hadn't even thought of soapstone counters. I will definitely have to take a look at those. The hardest part has been trying to utilize the grey and compliment it with warm wood tones to avoid painting the cabinets white. I have only seen one sample of the white wash & it seemed to have a yellowish undertone when completed. It may have been the wood type used and the finish put on it. Not sure. I guess I was hoping for a look where the white washed cabinets have dark almost black grains showing through. Just not sure how to achevie that vision.
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    8 years ago

What kind of wood are the cabinets? Whitewashing is a 90's look so be careful. If going on top of the usual red oak cabinets it will look pink. White oak which is expensive and rarely used for cabinets is probably the look you want. Think Restoration Hardware.

I would look into General Finshes milk paint especially if this is a do it yourself deal. It is not a real milk paint but it can be sanded without balling or lifting to give that worn look. Can also accept their clear coats very easily.

If you love the grain you can dilute a water stain or even paint and use it to ceruse? the panels. Basically you apply and use a fine steel wool to remove from everywhere except the grain. You could then apply your wash over it or do the opposite. Be careful in color choices as it will be quite pronounced.

• Kristin Hanie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @wannabath that's a great idea for pronouncing the grains. We are looking at hickory, oak or fir wood for the cabinets. White Oak is a little too expensive but would work nicely. Thanks for the idea! After researching paints, I may go with a warm grey like Agreeable Grey by Sherwin Williams or I should say Greige paint which will still allow the use of the charcoal island cabinets and open up more opportunities for the perimeter cabinets. I am just trying to avoid painting the perimeter cabinets and loosing the natural grains of the wood.
  • Kelley Dockrey
    8 years ago
    while you have been thinking about cabinet finishes, counters, and wall colors, have you thought about the color and type of flooring.?
  • Kelley Dockrey
    8 years ago
    after reading what you would like in the way of cabinet finishes, it reminded me of the two lighter finished floors at the link below.

I'm not sure if you are trying to do your own finishes or if you are paying a professional, just be careful since some of the decorative finishes may be more susceptible to finger prints and not as resilient to cleaning. you mentioned that you had children.

http://duchateau.com/product-category/flooring/hardwood/the-fine-sawn-collection/
  • Kristin Hanie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have been thinking about floors. I had dark hardwood floors in my last house and they showed pet hair, dust and footprints bad. No matter how hard I cleaned or how often, they always looked dirty to me. We have an open concept floor plan so we are looking for a light hardwood floor that will go well throughout the main floor and not show the above as bad. I originally thought about a rustic light grey or an antique white but wasn't sure I wanted to continue the grey tones into the flooring. I honestly need to really think about the floors. Since I'm going with Greige or greys with brown undertones, I was trying to find a brown tone to compliment the cabinets, counters, and wall colors. I need to further research my options.
  • PRO
    Knockout Knobs
    8 years ago

A custom farmhouse deserves custom hardware from Knockout Knobs. We can create the perfect knobs, pulls and hooks in any finish to match your new kitchen, bathrooms and bedrooms. Knockout Knobs will add the final touch to all your custom work. Your Passion, Your Design, Your Hardware. Enjoy your new home