Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decker11

Help! Floorplan advice needed!

Kim
8 years ago

Love gardenweb-just spent hours researching countertop materials. So much knowledge here!

The latest from my designer is below for our remodel. We are removing the east wall to provide better flow/entertaining space and access to our patio (from the family room-east). Mud room is west, dining room south. I love everything except the fridge placement. I feel like the fridge is at the "wrong end" and should be closer to the east/family room. However, I could live with that, but also, our pantry is in the nook in the SE corner-opposite side of the room. I feel like I'll be running groceries all over the place to get them put away. Unfortunately, with all the "wants" we have, finding a home for our existing, regular depth fridge is difficult. Overall I like this floor plan except for the fridge....alternative could be to buy a counter depth fridge (which would fit NE corner where ovens are, but seems like a waste since my fridge is only 4 years old! Thoughts? Anyone think fridge/pantry distance is ok?

Comments (10)

• Kim
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry it's sideways, but thought this might help.

• herbflavor
    8 years ago

I guess I'd consider putting fridge in upper right corner...not sure-is that the oven position? reason is lack of landing space around fridge and of course it would be closer to where people come in from. However, if you want to leave it as situated in diagram, which was drawn up probably after much thought.....move island sink down toward middle...or other end of island and put some drawers at fridge end of island for small plates/glasses, for easy access to dispense the things that people get from fridge. ....I assume your priority is an island for your kitchen, and with the window the stovetop has to be situated at available wall area....it seems a little small as far as counter between wall sink and cooktop....another reason to shift island sink down......then,.at cooking surface one can easily pivot and have free counter at island for rapid unloading hot things/etc. .....I think it will be okay then. Nice big space you have!!! Exciting...

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Just trying to understand what's what. Is this where things are now?

I would move things around so it's more like this. Pantry/fridge are together and in the prep zone so you're not so spread out.

Here's another option but I don't like this one as well. You would be prepping in more of a traffic zone and all the work zones in the kitchen are kinda crammed into one side of it.

Can any of the windows be moved? If so, that would open up some other possibilities.

• Kim
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funky camper- you are correct about what is what the questioned area is a coffee/wine center. both windows are existing- sink window is currently a big picture window taking up the entire bump out and is being scaled down. The other one (brick on the outside) is just being replaced it "can" be moved but the expense with the brick makes me want to keep it if possible. I had the same thought you did about moving the pantry near the fridge. Designer thinks we may not want to look at big doors...not sure I agree! My husband doesn't want the main sink in the island, so not sure that will fly.

herbflavor-you are right that I covet an island! Desperately! Lol. Windows are where they are, so stovetop does has few placements that work (don't want one in the island). I agree island sink is too "aligned" with the stove and should be moved.

great ideas/thoughts all-thanks so much! Would the distance from the pantry to the fridge bother you guys?

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Yes, which is why I moved it to make a prep zone where fridge, pantry and prep sink were in the same vicinity. I would not enjoy traipsing from one end of the kitchen to the other when cooking.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Why doesn't your husband want main sink on island?

• Kim
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Cpartist-we always seem to have dishes in the sink and are behind. He thinks it will look messy/dirty (and sad truth is that he is right I think). Talked to my designer and he is moving the pantry near the fridge. Round three will be available in a couple of days. I think if he gets the pantry/fridge relationship right we will be pretty good on general layout. Ten we move to drawers vs doors (which I am dreading)...
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Then move the clean-up sink across the aisle to the right of the range, put the DW to the right of the sink. Dish storage can be in a cabinet to the right of the DW and/or across the aisle in the island.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

FWIW, I agree with your husband. Putting a Cleanup Zone in an island puts the dirty dishes "front and center" for all to see if it's an open concept. In addition, if you have seating at the island, then the dirty dishes are "in the face" of someone sitting at the island.

In general, putting a Cleanup Zone in an island is done when it's a small Kitchen with no room for it anywhere else or one that is so open that there is very little wall space - and it's far better than putting a range/cooktop in in an island.

Your kitchen is big enough and you have plenty of wall space to not have to make that design compromise!

The best thing to put in an island is a Prep Zone - with a prep sink - assuming it's big enough to have 12" on one side of the prep sink + at least an 18" sink base for the prep sink + at least 36" on the other side of the sink (42" or more is much better) + 1.5" counter overhang on each end:

• Minimum: 1.5" + 12" + 18" + 36" + 1.5" = 69" = 5'9"
    • Better: 1.5" + 12" + 18" + 42" + 1.5" = 75" = 6'3"
    • Best: 1.5" + 18" + 21" sink base (or 24") + 42" (or more) + 1.5" = 84" = 7'0"

I am concerned about your aisle widths

• I see 40" b/w the island and cooktop wall - the minimum it should be is 42" - and that's for a one-person Kitchen. For a two or more person Kitchen, it should be 48".
    • Then, b/w the island and back wall, I only see 43" - you need 44" if there's no traffic and no counters/cabinets/appliances. If you have traffic and/or appliances/cabinets/counters, you need at least 54".

I can't tell what you have, but the seating overhang should also be a minimum of 15" of clear knee/leg space.

• Kim
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of your input! It is so helpful to have input from people who aren't "emotionally involved" in the process! I will ask my designer about the spacing issues you have all brought up. Again, thanks so much!